my home theater "build" log

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
hooooly shit this was one of the biggest pain in the asses i've ever had to do lol. just ripped open all the boxes and moved all of them shits from my garage down to my basement by myself. definitely should have waited for some help because it was fucking hard as shit lol. dripping sweat right now.

http://i.imgur.com/SW92w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cPb2l.jpg

going to the gym now even though i just had a crazy workout. will most likely hook them up tonight but not 100% sure because the skins/giants game is the most important thing in my life right now. but we will see.

Lulz, I would never contemplate moving couches into the basement by me self.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
what are you using for audio? I dont see any speakers in those pics yet. and how wide is your basement?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
what are you using for audio? I dont see any speakers in those pics yet. and how wide is your basement?

Not 100% yet on the speakers but I have a Denon 4311ci as the receiver.

I was pretty much dead set on B&W CM9 & CMC2 but then researched a bit more and am now leaning towards JTR but not sure yet because I can't really demo them. I'm contemplating flying to WI to demo them with sonm Southwest points I have. I could do demo them and cone back in the sane day.

Most like JTR for subs as well and I may blind purchase those too just based off of feedback.

As far as moving furniture myself yeah it was not fun but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Not 100% yet on the speakers but I have a Denon 4311ci as the receiver.

I was pretty much dead set on B&W CM9 & CMC2 but then researched a bit more and am now leaning towards JTR but not sure yet because I can't really demo them. I'm contemplating flying to WI to demo them with sonm Southwest points I have. I could do demo them and cone back in the sane day.

Most like JTR for subs as well and I may blind purchase those too just based off of feedback.

As far as moving furniture myself yeah it was not fun but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Man, you really owe it to yourself to audition the Salk SongTowers. You may even have someone close to you that will let you demo them.

Last edited:

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
When I bought my B&W 805's and HTM4, the only other speaker in the shop that I considered buying were Sonus Faber. They were outstanding but too expensive at the time

I've been wanting to check out the GoldenEar Tritons but knowing I will never buy them has me hesitating

Feb 6, 2007
Second seat from the left is gonna be pretty bummed when everyone else is reclining and he has a pole in his back. Nice build though; I wish I had the time, space, money and resolve to do something like that myself.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Second seat from the left is gonna be pretty bummed when everyone else is reclining and he has a pole in his back. Nice build though; I wish I had the time, space, money and resolve to do something like that myself.

nope it will fully recline. it only needs 3" from the wall (or pole) behind it in order to fully recline. as you recline the seat starts to slide forward.

it's probably 5-6 inches from the pole.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
if it were me id blow the few hundred $ worth of FF points to go and demo something to eliminate all the what iffs

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if it were me id blow the few hundred $ worth of FF points to go and demo something to eliminate all the what iffs

yeah i am strongly considering doing it.

sometimes i think you want my room finished more than i do :p

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
im jealous of the fact that you have a room

haha. it's funny because i was not thinking theater/projector AT ALL and was just going to demo some speakers. and when i demo'd them i demo'd them in a theater room with 100" screen. within like 5 seconds im like "FUCK THIS BASEMENT IS BECOMING A THEATER!!"

so i just powered up all of the chairs and ran the wires below them to the wall.

i took some pics of that one chair full reclined that has the pole behind so you can see how it reclines just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/3Fx0V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D9VJe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pspZQ.jpg

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I'm interested in this too. Been following it for a while. At the end, post a breakdown of stuff you bought, list the price, and post a total. :p

Looks like you've done a great job, very organized. Nice to see it done the right way.

Feb 6, 2007
haha. it's funny because i was not thinking theater/projector AT ALL and was just going to demo some speakers. and when i demo'd them i demo'd them in a theater room with 100" screen. within like 5 seconds im like "FUCK THIS BASEMENT IS BECOMING A THEATER!!"

so i just powered up all of the chairs and ran the wires below them to the wall.

i took some pics of that one chair full reclined that has the pole behind so you can see how it reclines just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/3Fx0V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D9VJe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pspZQ.jpg
The chairs are powered? We have gotten seriously disgusting as a society that we can't even be bothered to recline under the power of gravity any more. Worse, now I want one of those ****ing chairs!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The chairs are powered? We have gotten seriously disgusting as a society that we can't even be bothered to recline under the power of gravity any more. Worse, now I want one of those ****ing chairs!

haha, yup they are powered. luxury at it's finest!

although these chairs don't have a tray table like many of them do, so it's not as luxurious as it possibly could be.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
haha, yup they are powered. luxury at it's finest!

although these chairs don't have a tray table like many of them do, so it's not as luxurious as it possibly could be.

See what you can afford when you don't splurge on high end cables and power bars.

LOL

Now get your darn speakers so we can all have an envious look.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Man, you really owe it to yourself to audition the Salk SongTowers. You may even have someone close to you that will let you demo them.

hey jackburton, how would these compare to the level of speakers i'm currently looking at, as far as like the same performance/price range?

I have a 5 channel set up with Salk SongTower fronts and a SongCenter. They are with the standard dome tweeter.

he is about 15 minutes from me and i think i'm going to go demo them. however, if this type of speaker is below or way above the level i'm looking at, i probably will skip it.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
hey jackburton, how would these compare to the level of speakers i'm currently looking at, as far as like the same performance/price range?

he is about 15 minutes from me and i think i'm going to go demo them. however, if this type of speaker is below or way above the level i'm looking at, i probably will skip it.

Man, definitely go check them out. Especially if he's just 15 minutes away. The ribbon tweeters are preferred, but the dome tweeters should sound really good too. The SongTowers are about $2k for the pair, I can't remember if that's in your price range or not. Those SongTowers came highly recommend by my calibrator who's speciality is audio (the guy has years of experiences with ultra high end gear). I haven't had the chance to listen to them myself, so I'd be interested to see what you thought of them. I'm willing to bet they'd blow the B&W 683's out of the water. ;)

You definitely have a great selection to choose from (Salk vs JTR). I don't think you'd go wrong with either one you chose.

Last edited: