My Gaming set Up and Displays....

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001

I am using 3 Samsung 32" UN32J5205 Smart TV's. now I know what your thinking, the same thing I was thinking, TV's??? BUT DAMN, if they didnt change over the years. Back in the days I remember when I used them the text looked like crap, and the cursor and text always had a halo around it, but these are crisp and clean and clear, they have game mode, and they spank the crap out of my old LG 29" Ultrawide I was using. That monitor side by side using the same game was very blurry vs these in everything after I hooked them up abd seeing them side by side, and was wondering why after prolonged use I was having trouble seeing anything and focusing in on anything at all. Since getting these, I havent had a single problem with my eyes.

Anyway, I have a Corsair Graphite Series 780T case (black), Cooler Master Octane keyboard and mouse, a Asus MSA99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo, a AMD FX8370 OC'd to 4.9 GHZ, Zalman X14 Cooler, a EVGA FTW GTX 1070, Ultra X4 850 PSU, Samsung 2tb HDD, 2 LG 3d Bluray Burners, and for sound its all going into 2 rigs, for 2.0 stereo its my Denon AVR 1705 with Yamaha Speakers and a 8" Infinity Sub, and for my home theater, its a Onkyo TX NR809, with Matching Bic speakers all around, and 2 12" subs and a 120" Projection Screen :D

Thats, what I play on and with ;)

How about you?

Reactions: Zanovar

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
How did you decide on the UN32J5205? What were you looking for in a TV to use as a monitor?

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Yeah my desk is a little messy :O

As far as the tv's go....I ran out of money but wanted 3 monitors, and the only way I was going to do that was to go tv again, they were on sale for $227 a pop, so I did and was pleasantly surprised to say the least. And because they are smart tv's, I can watch a movie, a tv show, and game on the other :D My next thing to do is find a way to raise them up a little bit.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
People generally balk at TVs as monitors because the resolution doesn't go well with the size of the display and the viewing distance. The resolution compared to the size usually results in a higher dot pitch (the space between pixels). Will it work fine? Of course! As always, there's usually better, but to be quite frank, better usually will cost you more, and sometimes, it can be a lot more.

Back in the day, some people may have complained about the lack of inputs, but I see quite a few monitor these days where you're lucky to get more than just HDMI. It's hard to find a monitor like my old Dell UltraSharp where it had DP, 2x DVI, VGA, and Component.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Well if you use a 720P monitor, you for sure going to see a difference, I made sure to get 1080p ones. But Id say 5-6 years ago I tried about 3 different 1080P tv's and monitors, in different brands, Samsung, Vizio, and LG, and all of them, the text was fuzzy and each had a "shadow" around the text and the cursor, no matter how much I tried to adjust the settings. Plus the picture just wasnt all that great, kinda washed out. But I decided since I didnt want to wait any longer, when I bought the first 32" for I wanted to go big, just said I would live with it to go big and with three, and when I turned it on, I was shocked. Pictured looked great, no shadow, no spaces or gaps between the texts, or I should say, looks normal for being a 1080P monitor coming from a 2560P monitor, and when I played a game, I noticed right away in a racing game I was able to read what was on the banners going by, and was able to make out details in the grass, road, and rocks, something I WASNT able to do on my LG. So since I had them both hooked up at the same time I was switching them back and forth and low and behold, the text, which I thought was the bomb on the LG, was fuzzy and out of focus compared to the Samsung, and playing a game, and massive loss of detail where the TV showed me everything clear and sharp in details. Plus my eye problems I been having for a few years I was chalking up to my older age (44), turns out after ditching my LG, it was that freaking monitor messing up my eyes! Because it was blurry this whole time, my brain and my eyes been trying to compensate for it making my eyes go bonkers, and then my eyes be out of sorts trying to focus on other thing after looking at it. After several years I can finally see again! But anyway, yeah, Id say tv as a monitor, has come a long way if you can deal with 1080P, and I also went 1080P for I didnt want to have to buy another GTX1070 if I went higher with the rez. Right now, Im at a sweet spot with one card. It plays all I have just fine on all 3 at 5760x1080, including DOOM which the game reports with everything turned on to ultra at a average FPS of 32fps.

So I would say, anyone looking to go 3 on the cheap, look into a Samsung or even a Vizio, I tried one of them, at $199 at wally world, but found out to go surround with Nvidia, they had to be matching monitors, and the Vizio, looked just as good, IMO, and was cheaper and a smart tv as well. I love my set up I got going on and wouldnt give it up for the world!