My dog blew a knee ligament and the vet recommends TPLO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Chryso
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Our rule is anything that costs more than $500 isn't going to happen for a pet.

50 years from now it will be your kids saying:

"Our rule is anything that costs more than $500 isn't going to happen for Dad"

I have my own money. Any money my pets have they are welcome to use.

BTW, I think this may have a bit to do with how much money you have/make.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you probably shouldn't have pets...or kids....and probably even plants.

So because I won't spend my life savings to squeeze a few more months out of an aging dog then I am a bad person? I think perhaps you are just a wee bit insane.

Precisely. This will be debated till dieing days, but for me human /= animal. $500 is a reasonable amount to spend on a close pet. It would have to be a big, friendly, reliable dog for me that I've had for a long time. I won't pay crap for a cat. If my wife wants one I'll let her fund it.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you probably shouldn't have pets...or kids....and probably even plants.

So because I won't spend my life savings to squeeze a few more months out of an aging dog then I am a bad person? I think perhaps you are just a wee bit insane.

If your life savings equals $1600-$1800 you've got bigger issues to deal with.

Anyway....

When you get a pet you take on the responsibility of caring for that pet. That includes not just food, water and shelter, but anything else they might need. A pet is a member of your family. Would you turn out one of your parents because they are old and spending X number of dollars would only "squeeze a few more months" out of them?

If you have no intention of being FULLY responsible for a pet then you really have no business with one.

So how much would you spend to keep a pet in perfect health? $100k?
Would you take out a loan for a million dollars? My guess is you would not, and if that is true then you also have a dollar amount that you are putting on your pet. I just happen to be aware of mine up front.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004

Anyway....

When you get a pet you take on the responsibility of caring for that pet. That includes not just food, water and shelter, but anything else they might need. A pet is a member of your family. Would you turn out one of your parents because they are old and spending X number of dollars would only "squeeze a few more months" out of them?

If you have no intention of being FULLY responsible for a pet then you really have no business with one.

Yeah you give it to that person who doesn't have as much money as you to spend. That'll teach em!

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Anyway....

Would you take out a loan for a million dollars? My guess is you would not, and if that is true then you also have a dollar amount that you are putting on your pet. I just happen to be aware of mine up front.

Whatever it takes.

Wouldn't need to take out a loan.

Whatever it takes to keep them healthy is what I would spend. Period.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

Do you have a bottomless wallet?

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

Well, I can see that I am wasting my time arguing with a millionaire over how much money to spend on pet health care.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

Do you have a bottomless wallet?

Not bottomless, but if it were a woman it would be Paris Hilton after getting a train pulled on her by the Chinese Army.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

If you're honestly saying you'd spend $100k on a dog you have more money than sense.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

Well, I can see that I am wasting my time arguing with a millionaire over how much money to spend on pet health care.

It doesn't matter how much $ I happen to have. The point is that if you have a pet you are responsible for its health. If you are not willing to take on the possible associated health care costs of having a pet then you should not have one.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I've had to spend over $10k on one of my dogs (cancer surgery, chemo, mri, back surgery, etc). Part of the cost covered by pet insurance. I have no regrets.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

It doesn't matter how much $ I happen to have. The point is that if you have a pet you are responsible for its health. If you are not willing to take on the possible associated health care costs of having a pet then you should not have one.

So, just wondering, but what about the less fortunate people who cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars for rare surgeries? Should they just not have companions?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91

Anyway....

Whatever it takes.

So, just wondering, but what about the less fortunate people who cannot afford to pay thousands of dollars for rare surgeries? Should they just not have companions?

Pet insurance.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't think badly either way here, if it was me I would have to factor in how much money I have, and how bad off the pet is. I probably would break the bank for my dog if he could be fixed and wasn't 16 years old. But if he was on his last leg and the surgery would only result in a few months tops, no I wouldn't spend $5,000 to keep him around for a few more months sorry.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ShakesMcgee
We went through this last year with our Rottie. I did a lot of research and there are 3 methods to help with a torn ACL. You first have to understand that once the ACL is torn it is not going to repair itself. New scar tissue is going to have to form to hold the knee together. Once the original ACL is torn there is no way to recover it. Vets often make you think that the ACL is actually getting repaired, it is not, new scar tissue forms to hold the knee in place.

In order of cheapest to most expensive the fixes are; extreme movement restrictions, "traditional" surgery, TPOL surgery.

The first method you pretty much keep the dog in a cage so it doesn't move around too much. When it needs to go to the bathroom you use a sling to help carry the dog. This can go on for months before you see improvement. You also have to be vary carefult that the dog does not run or jump as this can reverse all healing progress up to that point.

With the third method the knee is modified to form a "new" joint. This method is the most costly (up to $2,000) and requires specially trained vets. If you do a search online a lot of people believe this method can cause more harm then good. It seems a lot of vets are pushing it now a days though.

We went with the second option of traditional surgery. This runs between $700 and $1000 dollars and most vets can do it. It required an overnight stay at the vet.It involves drilling holes in the knee bones and using surgical thread to hold the bones together in the same way the ACL does. Eventually these threads will break but it all goes well new tissue should be in place before that time. We kept the dog in his kennel for about a month to let the knee heal and begin to form new tissue. I put his cage in the living room and only let him out to go to the bathroom. I fed him lots of bones and treats and we eventually got through it.

Our dogs surgery was about 9 months ago. Currently he is about 85% on the leg. He runs/walks fine. Every once in a while it gets a little sore and he favors it for a day or so but besides that I am happy with the route we took. I also give him glucosomine/chondriton supplements daily.

I highly suggest pet insurance if you plan on paying for procedures like these. Our same dog had an emergency spleenectimy a few months before his ACL. All in all we paid over $3500 for both surgeries since we did not have insurance. When you are faced with the decision of paying for surgery to save your pet's life you make it makes the decision much harder. In reality when I had to make these decisions money was not a factor. One downfall with pet insurance is that they don't cover ACL related issues for 1 year after the start of the policy.

If you have any questions let me know and I would be glad to help.

Unfortunately, the pet insurance coverage I have seen requires 1-year of coverage before ACL surgery.

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Out of curiosity, how many people saying "I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a pet" actually have pets? More importantly, if there's so little connection between you and your pet, why do you have one in the first place?

I'm not bashing on this; I'm genuinely curious. I've always seen pet people treat their pets like members of the family, children, etc. This almost-total indifference is fascinating to me. Do you have pets, or are you regarding this as an intellectual exercise?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Pet insurance.

FTW!!!!!!

I watched my parents pay $3500 twice for their black lab's ACL's to be done on both legs. When I got my puppy last year, I enrolled him in pet insurance. $27 a month defrays almost all costs. My puppy got a cut on his ear from another dog and needed stitches a few weeks ago; wouldve cost $660 out of pocket. With the insurance it only cost $50.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Sqube
Out of curiosity, how many people saying "I wouldn't spend more than $500 on a pet" actually have pets? More importantly, if there's so little connection between you and your pet, why do you have one in the first place?

I'm not bashing on this; I'm genuinely curious. I've always seen pet people treat their pets like members of the family, children, etc. This almost-total indifference is fascinating to me. Do you have pets, or are you regarding this as an intellectual exercise?

I have and have had many pets in my life. I would definitely and have set a "limit" on what I would spend on medical expenses for a pet. I am not going to sacrifice the future and well being of my ACTUALLY family (wife kids etc). "Sorry son, you can go to college... remember Fido from when you were 3? Well we put her on chemo and she needed 16 heart surgeries. That's why mom and dad each work 2 jobs, and we living in a shelter now..."

Sorry... my pets are LIKE family members. However they are not ACTUAL family members yet I DO love them.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Pet insurance.

FTW!!!!!!

I watched my parents pay $3500 twice for their black lab's ACL's to be done on both legs. When I got my puppy last year, I enrolled him in pet insurance. $27 a month defrays almost all costs. My puppy got a cut on his ear from another dog and needed stitches a few weeks ago; wouldve cost $660 out of pocket. With the insurance it only cost $50.

$50? You're forgetting you've paid $27x12 months (or whatever already).

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Pet insurance.

FTW!!!!!!

$50? You're forgetting you've paid $27x12 months (or whatever already).

You're correct; but I can much better afford $27 a month than a 1 time shot of x thousand; especially when it comes to emergency treatment.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You're correct; but I can much better afford $27 a month than a 1 time shot of x thousand; especially when it comes to emergency treatment.

Right so it didn't "cost" you $50... you just spread the payments out before hand and prepaid!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I have and have had many pets in my life. I would definitely and have set a "limit" on what I would spend on medical expenses for a pet. I am not going to sacrifice the future and well being of my ACTUALLY family (wife kids etc). "Sorry son, you can go to college... remember Fido from when you were 3? Well we put her on chemo and she needed 16 heart surgeries. That's why mom and dad each work 2 jobs, and we living in a shelter now..."

Sorry... my pets are LIKE family members. However they are not ACTUAL family members yet I DO love them.

Bingo. No offense to people on here who have done it, but anyone who drops several thousand to fix an animal (that likely has a lifespan under 15-20 years anyway) is retarded.
Yes it's your money, and yes you can spend it on whatever you want, but the point remains.

If one of my cats got anything terminal and expensive to fix, that would be it. Circle of life and all that, I guess.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dainthomas

Bingo. No offense to people on here who have done it, but anyone who drops several thousand to fix an animal (that likely has a lifespan under 15-20 years anyway) is retarded.
Yes it's your money, and yes you can spend it on whatever you want, but the point remains.

If one of my cats got anything terminal and expensive to fix, that would be it. Circle of life and all that, I guess.

You shouldn't have said "cats" they will jump all over that versus a dog.

I will say that your medical limit obviously is going to vary GREATLY depending on your financial situation. If you have $10M a year, of course $1500 on a dog surgery is no big deal and I would likely spend it too... hell even if I made $200K I likely would.

Ares2600

May 30, 2000
My limit is probably a few thousand dollars before some hard decisions are made, but it's absolutely relative for everyone, and I would never sit up and judge someone else's decision on the matter.

Here's my thought... these animals have likely had MUCH better lives with humans in them than the other alternatives. Every pet I've had has been a rescue of some sort, so I'm going to do ALOT to keep them around, but not threaten my financial wellbeing. It would be sad, but would take comfort in knowing that I helped give them a hell of a quality of life up until that point.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Right so it didn't "cost" you $50... you just spread the payments out before hand and prepaid!

Yes; I didn't mean for it to come off that way, but it did. It does make it much more manageable however, that was the point I was trying to make.

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
Here's my question:

What and which health insurance is the best for pets? It feels like a scam when i read the pamphlets...