my dad just shot me down

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
My grandparents wanted a new system, my initial reaction was to build. Then I slapped myself & said "Gregg, WTF were you thinking?" I just ordered them a 2.2 GHz Celeron / 128 MB / 80 GB HD for $314.10 from Dell.

Celeron? 128mb with WinXP? Sounds great.
rolleye.gif

It might be more to build a Intel system than what it costs through Dell, but you can still make a nice AMD system for a comparable price.

I'm assuming he would add a stick of 512MB PC2100/PC2700. And FYI, for office use, a Celeron 2.2 is decent enough. Its not like his grandparents are going to say... omfg.... HL2 is running like the shizz.

But to poke some more fun at the original poster... Your dad is going to be like... OMFG... computers can be QUIET???

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz
My grandparents wanted a new system, my initial reaction was to build. Then I slapped myself & said "Gregg, WTF were you thinking?" I just ordered them a 2.2 GHz Celeron / 128 MB / 80 GB HD for $314.10 from Dell.

rolleye.gif

It might be more to build a Intel system than what it costs through Dell, but you can still make a nice AMD system for a comparable price.

Does that comparable price include $200 for a new XP license? And $50 for MS Works?

$200 for an XP license? WTF have you been smoking? You can get XP home for under $100 if you look around...

As far as MS works...that can be had places too...in an OEM package...

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: dexvx

rolleye.gif

I'm assuming he would add a stick of 512MB PC2100/PC2700. And FYI, for office use, a Celeron 2.2 is decent enough. Its not like his grandparents are going to say... omfg.... HL2 is running like the shizz.

I'm sure that speed CPU is fine for his Grandparents...but a more powerful CPU from AMD could be in there for less money...

The P4 based Celeron's nowadays suck for the most part...IMO.

Not to mention extras like the NForce 2 chipset with excellent audio and video built in...

Edit:

I also don't like the sheer amount of POS junk software Dell packs onto their PC's before they ship them out...

MagicianBdotCom

Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
my dad just shot me down

You should have never bought him that SA-2 missile.

Hahaha, easy joke but for some reason I thought it was hilarious :D And dude... I hate making computers for other people and having to "fix" them all the time. Maybe you should look into a tech support job, sounds like you'd enjoy it.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000

I'm sure that speed CPU is fine for his Grandparents...but a more powerful CPU from AMD could be in there for less money...

The P4 based Celeron's nowadays suck for the most part...IMO.

Not to mention extras like the NForce 2 chipset with excellent audio and video built in...

Edit:

I also don't like the sheer amount of POS junk software Dell packs onto their PC's before they ship them out...

Powerful... hmmm... Considering a Pentium III class computer can handle WinXP + Office use + Internet easily, I think "powerful" is a totally moot point. It may mean 20 extra fps for us, but a whopping 5 extra points in SysMark Word bench isnt exactly going to convince any consumer. Its not saying I dont like power, its saying that for some people, they cant even tell what power is. Its like giving me a uber frying pan when I just want to cook some random stuff.

Actually, the Dell boards use ADI onboard sound. While the processor usage is high (like the MCP-T soundstorm), the audio quality is actually on par with a SoundStorm, give or take in certain areas. The video, of course the Nforce will win hands down in 3D, but that is again, more moot point.

The only worry is the amount of preloaded stuff. My laptop came with a whole lot of programs preloaded, so I just did a clean install of WinXP.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Yes, you're overreacting. He's being practical, you're being a putz.

I agree with BoyBlunder. You should apologise to your dad.

Dave

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
dell = better bang for buck for non gaming dad.

free tech support/warrantee = good thing for non techie.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Don't take of it as that he is saying that you don't build a good PC, he isn't...it just is more practical...I mean overall it won't cost much more, you won't get moaned at for it going wrong, you won't have to spent time building and he gets 3 years warranty and support...its all good.

If I was going to buy a whole new system I would seriously think about something like a Dell rather than building one myself too!

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
There are only a few reasons not to buy a dell:

1. You want experience in building your own system
2. You plan to swap parts out constantly
3. You are going ultra-high end
4. You want to mod/oc the thing like crazy

Dell has some sweet systems these days, like the mini-pc opterons. I would recommend a minipc with an lcd to anyone at home buying a pc.

I don't know why you would be mad.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Dell has become more customizable over the years... and just as inexpensive. I don't see the need to build anymore.. I stopped caring after around the 1GHz mark. Back in the AMD K6-2/350MHz days, building would save at least a couple of hundred... nowadays... the only perk is choice in specific parts... and the support is obviously not there should the end user not be "techie".

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Your father is being considerate.Do you really want phone calls from across the state concerning all sorts of computer issues,many of which will be end user caused?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

rolleye.gif

Considering they're upgrading from a <100 Mhz Pentium w/16 MB, this will be a quantum leap in performance. It will serve them fine for the next 5+ years. Overall cost is far more important to them than performance, the speed of their PC is simply of no importance to them.

I will be upgrading the memory, I didn't want to pay Dell $60 for a 128 MB DIMM.

You'd be hard pressed to beat the system for the money, a good Nforce2 board & cpu would blow 2/3 of the budget without ever considering the case, hard drive, CD-ROM, OS, etc.

Plus the fact that I don't have to support it.

Viper GTS

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001

rolleye.gif

Does that comparable price include $200 for a new XP license? And $50 for MS Works?

You're forgetting that you don't actually get the software with a Dell. You get a "rescue CD" which is a POS IMO. It's not like you can use that CD to load up WinXP on any other machine other than the Dell it came with.
rolleye.gif
It's not a "real copy" of the OS.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I agree with everyone else here...

Let him do the Dell. You need to concentrate on school instead of dad's calling everytime HL2 drops below 10fps. :p

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You are nuts.
My parents are always like "You keep building yourself better computers, when do WE get a better one?"
And I'm like "As soon as you pick up the freaking phone and call freaking Dell!"

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Massive overreaction on your part.

I actively encouraged my Dad to get a Dell. He got a great deal for less than $1000, including 2.66Ghz P4, 512Mb RAM and a 17" TFT, plus all the other gubbins.

I could not have built a similar system for that price. Plus it arrived 5 days after he ordered it.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: MichaelD

rolleye.gif

You're forgetting that you don't actually get the software with a Dell. You get a "rescue CD" which is a POS IMO. It's not like you can use that CD to load up WinXP on any other machine other than the Dell it came with.
rolleye.gif
It's not a "real copy" of the OS.

um....yes it is a real copy of the OS... you'll just have to trust me on that.but i do know.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Over the last 2 years, I have maintained and built all the computers in our household, without major incident. Today my dad announced he was looking for a new computer, and that he will be purchasing a dell instead of having me build one.

I'm kind of pissed, since he is completely undermining me. He cited his decision on the fact that I will be across the state at college next year. I told him that I would not work on the computer at all, and that he can have fun calling Dell.

Am I overreacting? Most likely yes.

Grow up.

Your dad is actually making a very wise decision.