my dad just shot me down

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
Over the last 2 years, I have maintained and built all the computers in our household, without major incident. Today my dad announced he was looking for a new computer, and that he will be purchasing a dell instead of having me build one.

I'm kind of pissed, since he is completely undermining me. He cited his decision on the fact that I will be across the state at college next year. I told him that I would not work on the computer at all, and that he can have fun calling Dell.

Am I overreacting? Most likely yes.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Yes, you're overreacting. He's being practical, you're being a putz.

That retard in hebrew right?

Anyway, don't take it too hard. Maybe you'll have other opportunities later on. Also, show him for the same price what you can build him versus Dell.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The sad thing is, he'll probably have a more stable system that what you can offer.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
If you build a computer for someone, you are free tech support for the computer's life or yours, whichever is longer. Be glad your dad is getting a Dell.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why aren't you counting your stars that you don't have to fix their crap any more?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Undermining you? lol, it may be time for you to get outdoors and chase some skirts for a while.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
That sucks... I too have had that happen. He should have stayed with you though. You probably already know what I'm gonna say here. Guess who he'll be trying to call every time he has a problem....thats right....you. You may be away at college, but like Dell, you are just a phone call away for tech support. It will probably be easier to get help from you than dell anyway since you will be in constant contact (because of family). I dont blame ya for not wanting to help him at all because he went to dell, though. He should have let you build the machine (which would prob be better than said dell anyway) instead of dell if it was just the "service" thing. But on the bright side, if you do actually follow through with your words and not give out your help on that machine, at least you wont have to deal with the hassle of it...

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Originally posted by: TheBoyBlunder
Yes, you're overreacting. He's being practical, you're being a putz.

That retard in hebrew right?

Anyway, don't take it too hard. Maybe you'll have other opportunities later on. Also, show him for the same price what you can build him versus Dell.

putz loosely translates to penis, or dick, in yiddish.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You don't know it, but this is a blessing in disguise.

He can get more system for his money from Dell than you can build him, & you won't have to support him.

My grandparents wanted a new system, my initial reaction was to build. Then I slapped myself & said "Gregg, WTF were you thinking?" I just ordered them a 2.2 GHz Celeron / 128 MB / 80 GB HD for $314.10 from Dell.

I could never have touched that price building it myself, & I'll honestly be able to say "I know nothing about it, call Dell."

Viper GTS

Tret

Golden Member
Feb 6, 2003
It pisses me off when people know that I can build comps and still buy it from someone else

Skiguy411

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2002
Is he getting the dell for a cheaper price? Do people actually save money when going to a place like Dell?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Only a true nerd will get mad over something such petty.
rolleye.gif

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I read your title wrong :eek:

The first thing I thought was, Did he give you a d.s.?

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Skiguy411
Is he getting the dell for a cheaper price? Do people actually save money when going to a place like Dell?

Sometimes it's cheaper to order from dell when they have a special sale rather then buy everything retail and build it.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Zeero
Originally posted by: Skiguy411

Sometimes it's cheaper to order from dell when they have a special sale rather then buy everything retail and build it.

yea, definately true. dells are definately very very quiet and very high quality. plus the warranty is a bonus. i dont expect his dad to be some hardcore overclocker or anything, so im guessing a dell would suit him well (more practicle, reliability, quiet).

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
You don't know it, but this is a blessing in disguise.

He can get more system for his money from Dell than you can build him, & you won't have to support him.

My grandparents wanted a new system, my initial reaction was to build. Then I slapped myself & said "Gregg, WTF were you thinking?" I just ordered them a 2.2 GHz Celeron / 128 MB / 80 GB HD for $314.10 from Dell.

I could never have touched that price building it myself, & I'll honestly be able to say "I know nothing about it, call Dell."

Viper GTS

Listen to the smart man talking.

Let Dad get his Dell.

- M4H

gururu

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
It is a difficult situation. the bottom line is that he is going to pay an arm and a leg for crappy components just to have customer service. essentially, his actions are suggesting that this is preferable to trusting you. it can be especially frustrating if you feel like your knowledge is not being employed wisely; that his actions are in essence based on pure stupidity. which is why Dell makes money. because people lack the knowledge to make educated decisions on purchasing a computer and therefore make the stupid decision and buy a Dell. Seriously, their support is very good, but if you look at the actual components they install into their systems, it becomes clear that that support is essential. The business model is that they will inundate the market with crappy hardware, while the high prices will more than make up for the replacements required.
sucks to be you. your own dad turns his back to your expertise, and embraces the dark side...

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: gururu
It is a difficult situation. the bottom line is that he is going to pay an arm and a leg for crappy components just to have customer service. essentially, his actions are suggesting that this is preferable to trusting you. it can be especially frustrating if you feel like your knowledge is not being employed wisely; that his actions are in essence based on pure stupidity. which is why Dell makes money. because people lack the knowledge to make educated decisions on purchasing a computer and therefore make the stupid decision and buy a Dell. Seriously, their support is very good, but if you look at the actual components they install into their systems, it becomes clear that that support is essential. The business model is that they will inundate the market with crappy hardware, while the high prices will more than make up for the replacements required.
sucks to be you. your own dad turns his back to your expertise, and embraces the dark side...

I take it you haven't keyword-searched "Dell" in the Hot Deals forum, used one, or experienced their service.

I'm stupid happy now that my dad bought a new prebuilt rig.

- M4H