My CPU actually gets cooler when under load and idles at 65C

marksman79

Aug 15, 2016
Like the title says, my CPU is getting colder when I subject it to a CPU-Z stress test.

Problem:
CPU idles at 65C, one time it idled itself up to 98C safety shutoff and BSOD. Under CPU-Z stress test load it drops to 55C. Core Temp and SpeedFan show vastly different temperatures (see SS). BIOS temperature shows ~82C before any OS is loaded

Specs:
SaVR7E7ggjHd8AkrU1VgnXgBJRMSGLIFH9mXkLjGC3FJst9wa5IXEOWIbx42tI2rN9qJz2fHOKFbnsU=s0-d-e1-ft

Intel Core i7 2600 - 3.4GHz (from 2012) with stock 4-pin heatsink and fan unit
ASUSTek P8Z68-V LE (also from 2012)

16GB Ram

Things I have tried:
Removed CPU heatsink and fan, cleaned dust from heatsink, removed old and applied new thermal paste, verified it is correctly seated from behind MB
Restored all BIOS settings to default to eliminate anything that could relate to overclocking (though I never had overclocked this CPU)
Checked to make sure CPU core parking was not on

Screenshots:

Idle
Under load

Bios changes currently reflected in screenshots:
Restored bios settings to default, then turned off Intel Turbo Boost and reduced core clock multiplier to 24x (max 34)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds like you have distributed computing / bitcoin mining malware secretly installed.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Sounds like you have distributed computing / bitcoin mining malware secretly installed.

There does appear to be something running the GPU at idle since the GPU temp drops under heavy CPU load as well. The CPU also appears to be running at 2.4 GHz under load and at idle. :confused:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If the CPU is running at 82c sitting in the BIOS either the sensor is broken or your heatsink isn't making contact with your CPU.

marksman79

Aug 15, 2016
There does appear to be something running the GPU at idle since the GPU temp drops under heavy CPU load as well. The CPU also appears to be running at 2.4 GHz under load and at idle. :confused:

I thought I closed my game in the background, but I might not have for the Idle SS and that could explain it. Otherwise, I'm not sure why the GPU reads as hot but I am idle right now and the GPU is at 39C. I don't think the problem is related to the GPU, and by the same token, I don't think I have a bitcoin miner hijacking my computer. Malwarebytes reported nothing, nor did the normal virus scan.

Why do you point out that the CPU is running at 2.4Ghz under load and idle? Is this unusual? I did turn off Intel's Turbo Boost in the BIOS which as I understand it increases the core voltage to boost the clock speed.

If the CPU is running at 82c sitting in the BIOS either the sensor is broken or your heatsink isn't making contact with your CPU.

How can I check for a broken sensor? Think there is any point in clearing the CMOS? (I already set BIOS to default). I am certain the heatsink is seated correctly.

Question: If the sensor is broken, and it falsely reports to the computer that my CPU has passed the 98C cutoff, will windows or the MB bios/firmware initiate a BSOD?
I ask because I think this happened once, and it would be a tick in the malfunctioning sensor columb. This could explain why, in the Under Load picture, the CPU temps aren't even close between Core Temp and SpeedFan. Is there any other reason why this would happen? (Core Temp temperature offset is set to 0).

Thanks everyone!

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Why do you point out that the CPU is running at 2.4Ghz under load and idle? Is this unusual? I did turn off Intel's Turbo Boost in the BIOS which as I understand it increases the core voltage to boost the clock speed.

Yes, it is unusual. The default clock speed is 3.4GHz and it turbos up to 3.8GHz. It should be running at 3.4GHz minimum under full load unless it is throttling due to excessive heat, yet neither temp seems high enough to cause throttling. Idle frequency should be 1.6GHz I believe.