My brain is mush, any games to sharpen it?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I know primarily brain games are for the Nintendo world or flash based, but are there any PC games that can sharpen up my greying matter?

I don't mean like Civilization, but something along the lines of Brain Age.

Thanks!

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
Do a little of everything.

Find some RTSes that you like, first person shooters for reflex and hand/eye, and puzzle games that catch your interest.

Don't make it a chore either, play stuff that you find fun. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations, I think it comes down to taste. Browse some game catalogs and see what sparks your imagination.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Do a little of everything.

Find some RTSes that you like, first person shooters for reflex and hand/eye, and puzzle games that catch your interest.

Don't make it a chore either, play stuff that you find fun. Sorry I don't have any specific recommendations, I think it comes down to taste. Browse some game catalogs and see what sparks your imagination.

I have a bunch of RTS/TBS games and love playing them, but I want some direct stimulation if you will.

SpaceChem.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/92800

That should bend your brain into shape.

Thanks, downloading the demo!

cl-scott

ASUS Support
Jul 5, 2012
From what I've seen, the research on those Brain Age style games is that they really aren't all that useful. They basically just train you to do specific tasks well. The SpaceChem game looks interesting, but on the whole, I wouldn't really get your hopes up too high about a game doing much to improve cognitive functions.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
OMG I just saw this on GMG.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/sports/wwe-wrestlefest/
large-3-640x350.jpg

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
There's a good number of Indie games that feature some if not mostly puzzle-solving game-play, in the likes of say... World of Goo for example, or Super Meat Boy, or stuff in the veins of Crayon Physics, et cetera. If not you can try games that can require fast reflexes without necessarily having to solve puzzles like a fast-paced musical track uploaded in Audio Surf on the higher difficulty modes, or avoiding projectiles coming at you Galaga-style in games like Beat Hazard.

And, if none of that is your cup of tea then give a try to Portal or Portal 2, or perhaps older RTS games like Rise of Nations or Total Annihilation / Supreme Commander. There's a good number of games out there that will stress various aspects of your cognitive processes/functions to any given degree. Sometimes it's easy and fun, sometimes it's fun and challenging, sometimes it's very difficult and frustrating but do require lots of "thinking" and good reflexes.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
I dunno, Spacechem felt like it turned my brain into mush, not the other way around. :)

Aug 11, 2008
From what I've seen, the research on those Brain Age style games is that they really aren't all that useful. They basically just train you to do specific tasks well. The SpaceChem game looks interesting, but on the whole, I wouldn't really get your hopes up too high about a game doing much to improve cognitive functions.

Might try Sam and Max games from a few years ago. Some good puzzles and a lot of good humor.

I tend to agree with this poster though. It cant hurt, but I believe those games specifically designed/marketed to improve memory are mostly a gimmic. I think a good strategy game where you have to balance resources, think fast, and remember stats are just as good. Or even a good RPG where you have to gather resources, craft items, pick weapons, armor, counter enemies, etc are also mentally challenging.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Just about any problem solving games.

Just about any strategy games, though the more in-depth the better. So simple ones probably not so much. But Civ or GalCiv or Xcom are all good ones.

Even Sudoku is good for charging the synapses.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
There was a game WAY back called M.U.L.E that was a really cool economics simulator. I remember it being lots of fun for four players.

It was around this colony world set up with a Rock/paper/scissors economy. You had to compete with your friends to have the best score. But you also had to balance the economy. If you hoarded to much, the economy would fail and the colony would die out.

I think there is an online version that you can still play today.