My benches so far. Adding GTX480 SLI benches.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
http://jkamassociates.com:8880/GTX480vs5870/index.htm
Now adding GTX480 SLI benches to bottom of each results page for those interested.
So far, added BattleForge on page 3 and Stalker CoP on page 4 and Unigine Heaven 2.0 on page 5.

Benched 5 of the 7 DX11 apps. Battlefield BC2 I don't have, and Dirt2 DEMO is surrounded by scandal. LOL. So, until I aquire the full version ( I might never as it is not my type of game), it is omitted.

Every bench has setting as high as it can go. Everything is cranked.

Hate or enjoy!!

- Keys.

Last edited:

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
You should have bought an HD5870 that came with a free copy of Dirt 2 :p

Also site throws up:

Error Occurred

* HTTP Error Status: 403 Forbidden
* Error Reason: Forbidden port

Might be on my end if my uni is giving me proxy crap >.>

EDIT: ah yeah my bad, just my connection being blocked by university.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Interesting.

But you can tell the truth - they just don't want you to bench BBC2. :p

Will be waiting for the rest.

TY.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Nice benching Keys. What I do appreciate (and other review sites back this up consistently) are the higher minimum FPS on many games with the GTX480 which to me is very important. I wonder what we will see in terms of driver improvements from both camps in the next few months. Still holding out for a higher clocked 512 shader Fermi if they can sort out 40nm.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
One very weird thing in AvP: The HD5870 has higher minimum frame rates than the GTX480, which goes totally against the general trend, and despite it having lower averages.

Also any chance of a detailed breakdown of a game with various settings (e.g. AvP).
DX9, DX10, DX11 Tessellation only, DX11 shadows only etc?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Some of us have been benching dirt for years...

Every time we pick up that dustbuster.

Speaking of dustbusters... ;)

Why don't they come out with a FPS called dustbuster? Make it like ghost busters but you carry around a 5800FX and the holy grail of weapons is the BFG11k aka 480GTX. :eek: An official TWIWMTBP game, of course. ;)

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Nice! :)

Some definitive advantage over a HD5870, especially in minimum frames. Stalker for example shows a borderline smooth for the HD5870 vs a perfectly smooth for the GTX480.

Would you mind commenting on the noise the green card makes compared to the HD5870? Your personal "feel" is fine for me :) Seems it's like a hot topic right now.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Ironically... I trust Keys' numbers more than I do 75% of the posted "site" reviews out there. Indeed looks like 5-10% average with a few outliers that show up around 20-30%. Just as we were expecting.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Interesting.

But you can tell the truth - they just don't want you to bench BBC2. :p

Will be waiting for the rest.

TY.

So, does that mean that "they" wanted me to bench Dirt2 Demo, but I didn't?
If you're going to bother and comment like this, then don't bother. ;)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Nice! :)

Some definitive advantage over a HD5870, especially in minimum frames. Stalker for example shows a borderline smooth for the HD5870 vs a perfectly smooth for the GTX480.

Would you mind commenting on the noise the green card makes compared to the HD5870? Your personal "feel" is fine for me :) Seems it's like a hot topic right now.

They are both loud. The 480 seems louder to me. Neither are annoying though.

I think a wider diameter, lower rpm, higher CFM fan would have of course been better.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
One very weird thing in AvP: The HD5870 has higher minimum frame rates than the GTX480, which goes totally against the general trend, and despite it having lower averages.

Also any chance of a detailed breakdown of a game with various settings (e.g. AvP).
DX9, DX10, DX11 Tessellation only, DX11 shadows only etc?

Nah. All games full blast candy and res, or nothing. What's the point of these cards unless you want to Crank!!

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Thanks for taking the time to run these benches. If you do happen to have Dawn of War II then please do that game as well.

Also, do you know if any of the cards are going to come with Metro 2033 or any other game?

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh why port 8880? Have to wait until tonight to view it. Not going to create a rule just so I can view this at work ;)

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Nah. All games full blast candy and res, or nothing. What's the point of these cards unless you want to Crank!!

No one seems to have tested the relative difference in performance hit between the 5870 and GTX480 when enabling different DX11 features.

Since AvP I know has different options which can be enabled, it would be interesting to see how much of a hit the GTX480 gets in % terms vs the HD5870 with different things enabled, such as tessellation vs shadows. I.e. does Fermi have superior shadow performance than the HD5870 was well as superior tessellation performance. Does the tessellation performance hit reflect the relative tessellation capability of each card etc.

Sites do it for things like the hit from AA, but nothing I've seen focuses on specific DX11 effects.

(Also crank to me would mean 2560x1600 or dual/triple monitors :p Although obviously you can't afford the $1k+ for a 30" just to bench some cards and it's not possible to compare multiple monitor yet unless you get a TripleHead2Go or something. Also a shame that no one has done that. 3x1680x1050 on GTX480 vs Eyefinity from ATI would be a nice comparison to see)

Last edited:

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Wow looking at that website made me feel like it's 1998 again. Anyways those look like pretty good benchmarks.

As far as the noise is concerned I would say that it depends on the person and it depends on the rest of your system too. If your system is already pretty loud it's going to minimize the difference between both cards. Of course the heat and power draw differences are massive but at this point everyone here knows that and for you to claim the contrary would betray your claims of impartiality...

Anyways this thread has my limited approval.... for now.

nemesismk2

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
www.ultimatehardware.net

I agree with you 100%, these video cards should be run with highest settings available at the highest resolution. For the first time both ATI and Nvidia have DX11 so it makes perfect sense to use DX11 when available.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
So, does that mean that "they" wanted me to bench Dirt2 Demo, but I didn't?
If you're going to bother and comment like this, then don't bother. ;)

Relax mate.

I was clearly joking.

I already told you I'm a fanboy of a heavy wallet. :)

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Very Nice, it's good to see that you incorporated Min, Max and Avg fps, that really gives a better sense of the cards.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Wow, I can rest easy now.

That would be a terrible mistake on your part. Don't think i'm not watching the entire forum closely for inaccuracies.

And also don't forget that you can edit your posts and aren't required to post back to back. As a mod thought one would think this stuff would be second nature to ya.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
That would be a terrible mistake on your part. Don't think i'm not watching the entire forum closely for inaccuracies.

And also don't forget that you can edit your posts and aren't required to post back to back. As a mod thought one would think this stuff would be second nature to ya.

I'm pretty sure it's time for you to lighten up.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Is Metro 2033 running depth of field??? I know that's the thing that killed all the cards. How big was the hit on the 480? If you don't have that info that's cool just a general question.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
I'm pretty sure it's time for you to lighten up.

Look if you want to point out any claim that I made that is false I am more than willing to debate that with you. Please don't take me personally I know you are nothing like wreckage or some of the other more biased people on either side.

No need get mad at me it's just that as a mod people are more inclined to respect what you say and the fact that you get free stuff well ya know... But hey nothing wrong with that. I'd take a GTX480 for free just the same as anyone else on this forum would and I would never expect you to forgo that privilege. I just want to make sure that nvidia get exactly 0 return on that $ invested(or negative if possible).

Madcatatlas

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2010
question, why does 5870 outscore the 480 in 3dmark vantage?

your missing that one and BF2 according to your test index btw.

looks like ok benchies! you know, aside from the sound, heat, powerdraw and whatnots which we have hardocp and anandtech for.