My benches so far. Adding GTX480 SLI benches.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh clearly after seeing these benchmarks at resolutions most of us play the 480 is a complete failure lol :D

In a couple of those tests the 480's avg FPS as as high as the 5870s max.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Heh clearly after seeing these benchmarks at resolutions most of us play the 480 is a complete failure lol :D

In a couple of those tests the 480's avg FPS as as high as the 5870s max.

The only reason why people are saying it's a failure is cus it was over promised, too late, and too much of an energy hog for not much more performance.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
The only reason why people are saying it's a failure is cus it was over promised, too late, and too much of an energy hog for not much more performance.

And the fact that some people in this forum who had access to the card last week were hyping it like it was the second coming of the 9700pro.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I dont know, at these resolutions the 480 is stomping the 5870 according to Keys. In some of these games it is by over 35%.

/shrug

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I dont know, at these resolutions the 480 is stomping the 5870 according to Keys. In some of these games it is by over 35%.

/shrug

Well yes but that's now how it is in general. Most of us were hoping for a much bigger performance jump as that's what was being promised and hyped as.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

/shrug

In that large sum/average of all benches thread, I thought the GTX480 was about 15% faster when everything was said and done. No one is arguing that it's not a fast part. I think people just felt it should have been more impressive than a 15% faster on average part given how much after AMD's part it was launched.

McCartney

Mar 8, 2007
Well yes but that's now how it is in general. Most of us were hoping for a much bigger performance jump as that's what was being promised and hyped as.

This is a significant amount of performance, as we have long passed the days of linear performance increases with each product release.

Last edited:

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Good benching, but I wouldn't being playing Metro w/ max settings when the min. is dropping into the teens, and avgs. below 30. That's why important to also bench at more realistic settings. I also don't believe ATI has optimized their driver set for this game yet.

Battleforge, Stalker, and AVP are fair game, but personally I wouldn't play them at those framerates either. Unigine's not a game, so who cares.

And why are a bunch of unbenched games listed?

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
The thing that impresses me the most about the Gtx is its minimum fps are much better, other then that, the card just needs to be a little faster. Mabe better drivers will give it another good boost, who knows?

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
How are those Power/Heat and Noise benchies working out there Keys?:whiste:

Sorry Will. I know you're trying to take the focus of performance away and replace the seed of thought with Power/Heat and Noise levels, and that's really freaking cool and all, but we know the card uses more power, we know the card runs hotter, we know that it is louder.
What else do you need to know? I guess you are not interested in performance, well, that's really freaking cool as well. And it's a good thing, because that is what I was benching. Performance. Especially when things get cranked up.

Be well.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Look if you want to point out any claim that I made that is false I am more than willing to debate that with you. Please don't take me personally I know you are nothing like wreckage or some of the other more biased people on either side.

No need get mad at me it's just that as a mod people are more inclined to respect what you say and the fact that you get free stuff well ya know... But hey nothing wrong with that. I'd take a GTX480 for free just the same as anyone else on this forum would and I would never expect you to forgo that privilege. I just want to make sure that nvidia get exactly 0 return on that $ invested(or negative if possible).

It's not anything like that. I suppose I should be used to infatuations and obsessive behaviors by now.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
How about some overclocking numbers. I know it's not a retail sample, but every little bit of info helps.
The main problem I have with just 15% is it's well within overclock range so unless the Fermi's on average can OC a good deal more it doesn't justify the extra cost.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
How about some overclocking numbers. I know it's not a retail sample, but every little bit of info helps.
The main problem I have with just 15% is it's well within overclock range so unless the Fermi's on average can OC a good deal more it doesn't justify the extra cost.

Meh, dude. I'm sure the 5870 can o/c a bit more than a 480 releatively speaking. I'm really not into doing these all over again at o/c'd settings. It has become more cumbersome with my time constraints lately. If I get the chance, I will throw out some o/c numbers at my convenience.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
yeah, it would be nice if you could provide how much 24/7 safe/comfortable overclock you could expect from 480 to differentiate yourself from the big guys. The fact that card scales well with clocks is the best thing I heard about fermi thusfar.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Okay so no power/heat/noise numbers and no O/C numbers. So basically selecting only whatever makes the 480 look the best relative to the 5870. Hmmmmm just throwing it out there.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Okay so no power/heat/noise numbers and no O/C numbers. So basically selecting only whatever makes the 480 look the best relative to the 5870. Hmmmmm just throwing it out there.

If all I'm benching for is performance, and that happens to show the GTX480 in it's best light, then I guess you're correct. That is of course, if it wasn't for the fact that I said just a few posts back.. well, I'll just quote myself:

"but we know the card uses more power, we know the card runs hotter, we know that it is louder."

I know you saw that. You see and salivate at every syllable I post. BUT the question remains, did you absorb it. If you did, you would realize this as an admission of heat power and noise levels of the GTX480 and would have not felt compulsed to post what I have quoted you here. If I post something inaccurate, feel free to correct me dude. But don't post just to annoy me.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
What if you used a program to slow down the fan?
How much higher do the temps go?
Most GPU will run up to 120C before problems arise unless they are o/c or the vendor chose to raise clocks out the door for competitive edge and reduce the safety net, so to speak.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
No I just felt that you are trying to minimize the negative aspects and trying to scream your lungs out that it's good for XYZ. I'm just trying to balance things out so that if someone reads whatever you said that they don't get a wrong idea and somehow think it's an awesome earth shattering product like what you said it would be last week.

Well maybe it's not earth shattering but earth melting is almost the same thing right?

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
What if you used a program to slow down the fan?
How much higher do the temps go?
Most GPU will run up to 120C before problems arise unless they are o/c or the vendor chose to raise clocks out the door for competitive edge and reduce the safety net, so to speak.

HD3xx0 series were hot as hell too, didn't bother me much. Noise does bother me though, and the fact that 480 needs that jet turbine of a cooler to keep the card running in mid 90s is a rather troubling IMO. I see where you are getting at though, maybe one could turn the fan down quite a bit and get away with just 10 degrees higher temps (assuming that's still safe)?

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
HD3xx0 series were hot as hell too, didn't bother me much. Noise does bother me though, and the fact that 480 needs that jet turbine of a cooler to keep the card running in mid 90s is a rather troubling IMO. I see where you are getting at though, maybe one could turn the fan down quite a bit and get away with just 10 degrees higher temps (assuming that's still safe)?

Look on the bright side though. If they released bad drivers that screwed up the cooling fan you would know immediately with these cards. With a g92 people could miss it and fry their card. Besides since XFX is out people really should just get the EVGA watercooled cards anyways. I wouldn't trust a brand without a lifetime warranty on something that runs this hot.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
Look on the bright side though. If they released bad drivers that screwed up the cooling fan you would know immediately with these cards. With a g92 people could miss it and fry their card. Besides since XFX is out people really should just get the EVGA watercooled cards anyways. I wouldn't trust a brand without a lifetime warranty on something that runs this hot.

I would get the air cooled version. That way when it inevitably fails they end up sending you a next gen card for free.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Always need to see min max and avg. Tells a better story than just averages as most sites do.

Nicest, but probably too much work is the hardocp way. A graph showing the frame rate at any given time. One low minimum on the intro screen would mean little, but several drops at the best times can be deadly.