My back hurts every day I wake up

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
For the past 2 weeks, every day I wake up, whether I slept on the floor, on a couch, or in a really comfy bed, my upper back KILLS, to the point where I feel like I can't even move. When I force myself out of bed, after a few hours it starts to feel better, and by evening I usually can't even feel it anymore, but then the cycle starts the next morning again.

I went to the doctor two weeks ago and she mentioned at that time it was probably just a cold since I had no other symptoms (and other than being really tired and weak feeling lately, I don't other symptoms - throat, nose, etc. are all fine).

Any ideas? Could this be stress?

LilPima

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2008
Could be stress.... but why are you stressed? Life is great, you run every day, I think you enjoy your new job, no one harrasses you, etc. You did also used to be very sore at previously stressful times... so it makes sense.

presidentender

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2008
I'd say try a massage. If it doesn't work long-term, at least you got a massage. They're fun.

LilPima

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2008
Originally posted by: presidentender
I'd say try a massage. If it doesn't work long-term, at least you got a massage. They're fun.

no happy ending

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I remember a period when mine used to hurt every morning. Only thing I've done differently since then is working out.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
You might try rowing. It's not the most exciting exercise in the world, but after a few weeks if your form is right you should notice a significant increase in back strength.

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: irishScott
You might try rowing. It's not the most exciting exercise in the world, but after a few weeks if your form is right you should notice a significant increase in back strength.

I support this statement. Back pain is often a product of overbearing "front" muscular formation. In proportion, overdevelopment of the pecs majors, minors, and other muscles can promote bad posture and bad back positioning. This can put a strain on the musculature, the spine, etc. Strengthening the entire back can help counter this and fix many problems entirely, depending on what your's may be.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
massage would be my first guess as well.

I was experiencing something similar a couple years ago... the problem fixed itself when I was in a moderately bad car accident. I'm guessing the force from the impact fixed whatever was wrong, but a message would have been cheaper :p

zhentong

Sep 10, 2007
i think you got a bad posture ... probraly with the posture when you sit in front of the computer ...

i used to have those symptoms too
if that's your case, u might have to check out on the web on how to improve posture ..

sit up with your back straight on the wall should help? use heat vapor anti-inflamation oinment on the back helps (since this is an cronic pain, so heat is good)

hope this works

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
If it keeps happening, see the doctor again, or consider a chiropractor. You can also try some of the exercises and stretches linked to in this thread, although they are more lower back focused. However, if it's a serious problem for you, you should seek professional help.