My 7850 is running too hot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Before I was getting 83-85C under full load mining Bitcoins.

Now I'm getting 80C but I added a pair of 120mm fans.

On the bitcoin mining thread someone mentioned the big difference memory clocks (on a 6950 I believe) make to power usage. I assumed without effecting b/hash. Would that help your 7850 temps?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
On the bitcoin mining thread someone mentioned the big difference memory clocks (on a 6950 I believe) make to power usage. I assumed without effecting b/hash. Would that help your 7850 temps?

Made about a 10W difference for me going from 1375Mhz to 685Mhz.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
I got in on the Powercolor 7850 deal for $230, but the cooling on the card really seems insufficient.

Overclocked to 1150mhz on the core and 5600mhz on the memory I'm sometimes hitting 85C under full load which seems way too hot to me.

Do you guys think I should take off the heatsink to make sure that there is thermal paste and to verify that everything is seated properly?

I might just have to go with aftermarket cooling. Even at stock this card hits 75C under load.

I think you are running way too hot. I don't if the folding@home client really pushes a card, but I can run it all day and not climb above 52C with fan speed left on automatic. According to GPU Shark fan speed never exceeds 39%. My clocks are 1010/5000. My air flow is ok, but nothing to really brag about.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
This site has the Twin Turbo II for $36.33 if you want to do a pricematch at NCIX:

http://www.computers-canada.ca/store/products/1027012565/DCACO-V540000-BL/Arctic%20Cooling/

I recently installed one of these on my 6950 and have been very pleased with the improvement over stock.
Thanks for that. I'm gonna wait a bit. My next purchase is going to be another 7850, and I will figure out how to cool them both at that point.

For now my single 7850 is actually doing ok; I'm getting 75C under full load now with better case cooling.

I just checked and NCIX doesn't have any stock right now anyways. I will buy a pair for my crossfire setup eventually. :)

Last edited:

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for that. I'm gonna wait a bit. My next purchase is going to be another 7850, and I will figure out how to cool them both at that point.

For now my single 7850 is actually doing ok; I'm getting 75C under full load now with better case cooling.

What games are you playing that a single 7850 can't handle?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Not sure why ppl care about temps. Back before WC I regularly ran over 100C on hardware. chip doesnt melt till ~500C

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I dont get why people constantly worry about perfectly normal temperatures. Same with CPUs where people dont seem to have a clue about Tjunction and Tcase values and what they mean.

85C for that matter is perfectly fine. I remember HD4870 cards reaching 125C. Or old TnT2 cards 135C.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
I dont get why people constantly worry about perfectly normal temperatures. Same with CPUs where people dont seem to have a clue about Tjunction and Tcase values and what they mean.

85C for that matter is perfectly fine. I remember HD4870 cards reaching 125C. Or old TnT2 cards 135C.

Ahh the good old days

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I can't decide if I should order that twin turbo ii or not.

If I do get it I'm not comfortable going the little heatsinks on. Will that make a big difference? I don't want to void my warranty.

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
I can't decide if I should order that twin turbo ii or not.

If I do get it I'm not comfortable going the little heatsinks on. Will that make a big difference? I don't want to void my warranty.

Only void your warranty if you put the heatsinks on the vrms and memory

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
If you are going to CF, I would keep the stock HS. Doesn't it exhaust out of the case?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ercolor%207850

That one? If if it is getting 50% of the air out the case, how much are those AC coolers going to pump out of the case?

I only bring it up as Anandtech Prime mentions in their reviews how the benefits of the open air coolers are quickly negated in crossfire/sli setups.

They seem to be so popular because CF/SLI is a relatively rare implementation? Anyway, that is one factor I would consider.

I think you are running way too hot. I don't if the folding@home client really pushes a card, but I can run it all day and not climb above 52C with fan speed left on automatic. According to GPU Shark fan speed never exceeds 39%. My clocks are 1010/5000. My air flow is ok, but nothing to really brag about.

In the CCC, is your card activity pegging out the GPU? I wonder if it is "bouncing" around load wise, allowing for lower temps, etc. I have seen this with several DC apps. Also, what kind of PPD are you getting? Thank you :)

Last edited:

birthdaymonkey

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2010
Do you think it's worth going with aftermarket cooling? Will not putting the heatsinks on the vrms and memory make a big difference?

I was also nervous about installing them, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The glue that they come with isn't permanent, so they can be removed if necessary. I had a slight problem getting the sinks to stick to the smallest VRMs, but luckily I'd saved a bit of the adhesive epoxy and was able to do a better job the second time around. If you decide to go for it, I would definitely suggest a longer curing time than the 5 hours recommended in the instructions just to be safe--I allowed 24.

tuffluck

Mar 20, 2010
Is there a rated max power for the Pitcairn 78xx chips? My fan profile didnt set one day and it got up to 86c for about 15 minutes, so it got me curious.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Do you think it's worth going with aftermarket cooling? Will not putting the heatsinks on the vrms and memory make a big difference?

Have you already reduced the memory clock & undervolted the card? I ran my 6950 at 1v, while the core clock was 10% increased and the memory clock was down at 725Mhz. It helped a lot with the temps.

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
In the CCC, is your card activity pegging out the GPU? I wonder if it is "bouncing" around load wise, allowing for lower temps, etc. I have seen this with several DC apps. Also, what kind of PPD are you getting? Thank you :)

According to the hardware monitor, it stays pegged at 99%. If I am thinking of the right number, the PPD is around 6800. I will have to check to be sure after work.

UPDATE: Yes my PPD is right around 6833.

Last edited: