My 3 days with an iPhone 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2001
I have both the Note 2 & iPhone 5 (Business / Personal), i like both phones but if I was forced to choose just one, I would take the Note 2**

I'm probably in that boat, but I would probably be deciding between a SGS3 vs iPhone 5 simply because the Note 2 is too big for me.

There's a reason my personal phone is my Android phone. For work I want something that works and lasts the day. Plus, with the iPhone's 3 speaker noise cancellation it could be good for conference calls. My car bluetooth seems to suck and I'd rather not use that on conference calls.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Nice writeup. I agree with all of your points, comparing my wife's iPhone 4 to my SGS2. I'm really envious of the smooth UI found on all iPhones. I now have a Nexus 4 on the way, considering ebaying it, but I'll probably keep it. I think what keeps me on Android is simply the fact that "I can" modify things to my liking. I am a big fan of widgets and configurable launchers. For instance, I want 6 icons across my dock, and I want 5x5 on the homescreen. I like tapping the clock to get to my alarm. And Android's notification system is very good.

That's the thing, if I were test driving both devices for an hour, the iPhone is smoother, has more/better apps (especially games), has better battery life, and it looks pretty cool too. It's only after using one for a while that the UI's fluidity is overcome by its toyishness. It's basically just your Android app drawer.

What's funny is I've had some time on a pre-release Lumia 920, and Windows Phone 8 is actually the bridge between the two platforms. It's really slick - it integrates, well, everything. It has a better camera and nav. The phone itself isn't a blob of plastic. And, yet, it's probably 3rd on the list of platforms I'd purchase, behind Android and iOS.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I agree with all your points. I've been pretty happy with my iPhone. The app quality, speed and battery life makes me happy.

_Aurel_

Jan 10, 2011
What keeps me on the Android is that it still background tasks like a champ. If I got an email, it downloads it in the background while it notifies me, and when I open up the app, its there. On the iPhone, I would get a notification that I have a new email and when I click on the app, I have to wait a second or two while it 'checks' and downloads that new email before I can read it. The iPhones 60 FPS gives it the illusion that its fast, but it's dog-slowly at actually getting stuff done, and all the pointless loading/signing that it does to keep that FPS high adds up to a lot of lost time.

Feb 19, 2001
What keeps me on the Android is that it still background tasks like a champ. If I got an email, it downloads it in the background while it notifies me, and when I open up the app, its there. On the iPhone, I would get a notification that I have a new email and when I click on the app, I have to wait a second or two while it 'checks' and downloads that new email before I can read it. The iPhones 60 FPS gives it the illusion that its fast, but it's dog-slowly at actually getting stuff done, and all the pointless loading/signing that it does to keep that FPS high adds up to a lot of lost time.
True. thats an advantage of pull. but pull naturally eats more battery than push. with notifications on both systems I know what's coming in. If there's something that catches my eye, I'll click on it for more info. And with LTE this is less of an issue because latency is reduced and the opening of an email should be near instant. I know what you mean though and with AT&T's jammed networks it can be an issue on 3G opening and downloading that message.

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
It seems that iPhone5 is really the best smartphone nowadays.

Pretty subjective but I like how compact and light weight it is. The screen-sized isn't bad!

It was definitely an improvement to increase the screen size by .5 inches.