My 2007 Camry warranty repairs so far.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ScottFern, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Highly doubt it. My water pump issue occurred 6-8 months before I brought the car in for the buring oil issue.

All I know is I had this dealer work on the engine with new pistons and 2 days after they give me the car back the transmission goes bad. Eight months later I spun a bearing. Seems every time I give them my car something else happens to it.

2. BUTCH1

BUTCH1 Lifer

Spun bearing?, damm, I gotta ask, are you kinda dogging this around a lot? what mileage are we talking about here..

3. PottedMeat

PottedMeat Lifer

does spun bearing = new crankshaft?

wow, sounds like they should just put in a new transmission & engine.

4. nerp

nerp Diamond Member

Water pump failure isn't necessarily a Toyota issue, unless they're the ones making it. It's not too uncommon for a brand new car to have a part fail if the supplier's QC failed at some point. Warranty repairs are for this exact situation. In THIS, case, though, wow. It seems there's a combination of lemon-ish problems and some mechanic repair errors.

5. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Great question. Thats what I wanted to ask you guys.....They CLAIM they dropped the crankshaft fully intact and then simply replaced the pistons and rings only. Leaving the rods still on the crank so they are now treating this as a separate new issue.

@BUTCH1 - 86k mileage and no I am not abusing the car. It's a family sedan.

6. 1prophet

1prophet Diamond Member

Traction control/ABS will not be a choice in new cars soon since it is part of the now mandated electronic stability control,

http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1775

as for the increased complexity of engines, a lot has to do with higher fuel efficiency/lower emission requirements.

7. 1prophet

1prophet Diamond Member

I just looked at the Mitchell repair manual and it shows the pistons and rods being installed from the top of the engine block through a ring compressor after the crankshaft is installed,

I am most interested in this time saving novel procedure this dealership claims they used.

8. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Yeah I have a feeling this service advisor is not the most technical person. I have worked on engines with my buddies back in college, and I have never heard of this method either. Always, the rods and pistons are installed from the top of the block and lowered onto the crankshaft. I am thinking about going up there next Wednesday and speaking with the mechanic because this all sounds very fishy. And on top of it all they are asking for the warranty inspector to come back out to the dealer to re-inspect the engine so we get approval for bearing replacement.

The nightmare continues.

9. deadken

deadken Diamond Member

Just two things I'd like to add to this thread:

1) I worked at 2 dealerships during my time as an auto mechanic. I used to tell customers to bring the car in to me BEFORE the warranty expired. Then, I'd go over the car and do whatever needed to be done while coverage was still in effect.

2) I've heard that if you buy the extended warranty and never need to use it you can get money back when expires. I don't know how much money (could be insignificant) but if you never needed it, why not get a few bucks back?

To the OP: I was just going to say that the connecting rods had to come off the crankshaft. Let's just hope that the mechanic didn't mix up the caps (which shouldn't happen, but it could).

10. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

I plan on calling them out on this on Wednesday. They are trying to feed me a line of BS. They just want position the issue to be something they don't have to cover and move all the expenses onto the warranty company.

11. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Just called the warranty company and they said they are looking at the costs and are considering a full engine replacement. So the shop continues to look into this as well and they are deciding what is the "best" avenue to handle this. Translation: What is the cheapest way to fix the issue. Not sure how I feel about all this.

#61 ScottFern, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  12. DVad3r

DVad3r Diamond Member

Post mileages with parts replaced.

Doesn't the water pump always need to be replaced with the timing belt?

Struts go every 150-200 k ish km.

13. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

I don't think they changed it on the i4, but my dad's 04 Camry had a chain, not a stupid belt.

14. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Response in bold.

15. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Got the final answer tonight. They are replacing the engine, but that's incredibly ambiguous and have no idea what that includes. If they grab an engine from 07-08 we are right back to square one with the oil burning issue.

16. SpatiallyAware

Didn't you say that this warranty expires soon?

I would want to be involved in every aspect of this, as it's common for semi shady stuff to happen between the warranty co and mechanic (even a dealer) which you might not find out about for months... Just like now, where they replace piston/rings then you have a spun bearing 8 months later.

I hate passing junk on to someone else but personally I would sell it ASAP after it's fixed and buy a unmolested vehicle.

17. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

So I spoke to the dealer and they are replacing the engine with an 07 engine from a junk yard. So we are right back to square one with the burning oil issue and the bad water pumps. I am selling this POS and going straight to the Nissan dealership. What a nightmare this whole Camry experience has been.

18. Eos

Eos Diamond Member

My wife bought a 2003 Corolla (first model year) with 30k miles on it back in 2005. It's been a wonderful car for over 100k miles now.

We got lucky, I guess.

19. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

You didn't get lucky. Toyota moved its US manufacturing to the US (Kentucky) in 2006 and probably cut a few corners because of the economy and the 2007 - 2008 Camry were utter disasters. Bad water pumps, and I4 engines that burned oil badly. I am "lucky" that I had the intuition to buy the extended warranty even if they are shady 3rd party company. :)

20. evident

evident Lifer

I think Camry's have been built in the US since the 3rd generation. correct me if i'm wrong but I thought I remember my parents' 96 camry having a US VIN number.

21. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Camry has been built in Kentucky since 1988.

22. kitatech

kitatech Senior member

My 05 Camry was made in Japan...as are all with Vin #s beginning with JT....

23. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Yeah there are exceptions, but Toyota has been making the Camry in the US since 1988. So the premise in the post above about when production moved to Kentucky is clearly wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Camry_(XV30)#North_America

24. ScottFern

ScottFern Diamond Member

Glad we got that straightened out!! All I am trying to say is my Camry was made in Kentucky on a new design cycle and it was awful. The older Japanese models, like my mothers from 1996 were built much better. They made have fixed the issues with todays model, but 07-08 were simply put terrible vehicles.

25. LTC8K6

LTC8K6 Lifer

Are you sure it wasn't made in Indiana?