Muslims jailed in Florida for... travelling.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
really, and were these random white people found and interrogated 2 years after the incident?
Considering you don't know squat, I'll tell you, the answer is yes, random white males were removed from planes.
2 years after the incident? No. But they have found the folks responsible, dimwit, and in this case, they are still looking.
Not to mention current threats, duh.

edit: aww some of you get upset when the term redneck or hick is used to refer to white people.. how touching. imagine how we feel when you refer to every other mid-eastern person (besides an israeli, of course) as a terrorist. suck it up you moron.
Well, I guess you can refer to any mention I've made of that, right?
Whoops, nope. You just like hurling venom. Doesn't matter if it's rational or not.
Terrorists are defined by their blind hatred, for one, not that I'm calling you one.
Is that sucked up enough for you?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Corn
I think this is wrong, but I won't pretend to have a better answer.

Likewise.

Yeap, those Muslims jailed may not have been a terrorist before, now they certain have the motive to become one.

Yeppers, a night in the pokey will turn any thoughtful and peaceful Arab Muslim individual into a homicidal extremist.
Just curious, Corn, did you have a point in there somewhere? You quoted one line from me, a completely unrelated line from someone else, and somehow lumped them together with one of your signature clueless straw man arguments that completely misses the point -- any point.

Possibly the most idiotic and bigoted thing I've read here of late......bravo moron.
Right. In reverse order ... First, since you are attacking two people, even a moron knows that "morons" is the plural form of the word. Second, there is nothing in either remark that is remotely bigoted. Quite the opposite. It's a stupid claim. And third, I suggest you start reading your own posts if you want to see something truly idiotic.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think what u said is very true. damned if we do, damned if we dont. id rather be damned if we do and save lives. whats the worst that could happen? insult someone's pride? waste a few hours of someone's life? if it saves countless lives, why not. i mean if the people being pulled over, etc have nothing to hide, why worry too much. im not a muslim, but i can see how i would be mad if i was wrongfully accused....but as long as im not wrongfully convicted, id swallow my pride and realize that it is my fellow muslims that has caused this upon me. dont forget, there were many muslims who died in 9.11 and Osama said something like any muslim who supprts america is not a real muslim or something like that
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-citizens visiting our country are at the mercy of our scrutiny. The participants in regard to this thread topic were inconvenienced and probably faced a good amount of humiliation. Too bad so sad. I set off the metal detector at SFO this past saturday and had to deal with inconvenience and mild humiliation. That said, I do believe that all citizens should be treated with the same amount of fairness and scrutiny. Non-citizens--all bets are off, deal with it or don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Corn-hole:

Just think about what you said and what it means. According to this, you can target people for "scrutiny" based simply on their race. Where I come from that is called racism and is practiced by bigots. I guess if the shoe fits...

N

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Just curious, Corn, did you have a point in there somewhere?

Sure did, I quoted a portion of your reply because I thought it was wothy of being restated while making a statement of agreement with the premise.

I also happened to think that the other quote from rchiu was also noteworthy, however, if for different reasons. What......is treating some of the morons on your side of the fence with the same contempt they show......say Bush or Ashcroft......unreasonable? Or is it excused simply for those of whom you agree? rchiu's premise was ridiculous, you know that. Sure, mayne someone might go homicidal for simply being detained by the customs dept of a country they are visiting---but c'mon, they are insane! Really......and they would be going wacko over something else, like getting cut off in traffic or something. Who the hell can we blame that on?

In any event, it appears you've somewhat misunderstood my previous post. If I gave the impression of insulting you, it was not intentional. Sorry if I didn't express myself with more definite clarity--I've recently temporarily lost the use of one of my typing hands (I've only got 2 total...;)), and I was being somewhat lazy, or perhaps stingy with my communication. Its challenging to type one handed and not sound like an idiot--even if I am just being an asshole.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Just think about what you said and what it means. According to this, you can target people for "scrutiny" based simply on their race. Where I come from that is called racism and is practiced by bigots. I guess if the shoe fits...

No, not race, but simply based upon circumstance, like possibly where one might be a citizen. Does this cross racial barriers? Perhaps, but I would feel the same if Al-qaeda were from Ireland. [edit]I don't remember anyone complaining about the obvious scrutiny visitors from Soviet Russia visited upon themselves when visiting the US.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

No, not race, but simply based upon circumstance, like possibly where one might be a citizen. Does this cross racial barriers? Perhaps, but I would feel the same if Al-qaeda were from Ireland. [edit]I don't remember anyone complaining about the obvious scrutiny visitors from Soviet Russia visited upon themselves when visiting the US.

Gee, maybe we should've gotten rid of people like you when Oklahoma city bombing happened. Put you in jail for couple of days and freeze your bank account. Hey, that's ok according to you right, I mean how else are we going to stop those crazy white militia in Michigan other than jailing all the white people?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
We need to round up all the white kids that wear big long coats! Lock them up and throw away the key...

Hey any white man with a beard is going to make bombs.. I say round them up!

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: clarkmo
really, and were these random white people found and interrogated 2 years after the incident?
Considering you don't know squat, I'll tell you, the answer is yes, random white males were removed from planes.
2 years after the incident? No. But they have found the folks responsible, dimwit, and in this case, they are still looking.

edit: aww some of you get upset when the term redneck or hick is used to refer to white people.. how touching. imagine how we feel when you refer to every other mid-eastern person (besides an israeli, of course) as a terrorist. suck it up you moron.
Whoops, nope. You just like hurling venom. Doesn't matter if it's rational or not.
Terrorists are defined by their blind hatred, for one, not that I'm calling you one.

i had trouble making sense of that entire post.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Aimster
We need to round up all the white kids that wear big long coats! Lock them up and throw away the key...

Hey any white man with a beard is going to make bombs.. I say round them up!

nonsense...they're white. we can only sacrifice freedoms which wont affect white people. doy!

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Gee, maybe we should've gotten rid of people like you when Oklahoma city bombing happened.

I'm surrounded by morons.......by all means, please tell us, whom "we" have "gotten rid of"?

Hey, that's ok according to you right, I mean how else are we going to stop those crazy white militia in Michigan other than jailing all the white people?

You don't think that members of the Michigan Militia faced intense scrutiny after the OKC bombing? Just shows how ignorant you really are.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Pers

i had trouble making sense of that entire post.
My point exactly :p

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Just curious, Corn, did you have a point in there somewhere?

Sure did, I quoted a portion of your reply because I thought it was wothy of being restated while making a statement of agreement with the premise.

I also happened to think that the other quote from rchiu was also noteworthy, however, if for different reasons. What......is treating some of the morons on your side of the fence with the same contempt they show......say Bush or Ashcroft......unreasonable? Or is it excused simply for those of whom you agree? rchiu's premise was ridiculous, you know that. Sure, mayne someone might go homicidal for simply being detained by the customs dept of a country they are visiting---but c'mon, they are insane! Really......and they would be going wacko over something else, like getting cut off in traffic or something. Who the hell can we blame that on?

In any event, it appears you've somewhat misunderstood my previous post. If I gave the impression of insulting you, it was not intentional. Sorry if I didn't express myself with more definite clarity--I've recently temporarily lost the use of one of my typing hands (I've only got 2 total...;)), and I was being somewhat lazy, or perhaps stingy with my communication. Its challenging to type one handed and not sound like an idiot--even if I am just being an asshole.

Corn, my apology. I misread your post, reading your "Likewise" as a lead-in to the second quote rather than an agreement with the first. It makes a lot more sense now. I still disagree with your conclusion, but my response was unjustifiably harsh.

I think rchiu's comment is right ("Yeap, those Muslims jailed may not have been a terrorist before, now they certain have the motive to become one.") Obviosuly, having one Muslim unjustly jailled one time won't inspire terrorism. That's not rchiu's point. If we begin unjustly jailing Muslims on a regular and widespread basis, it plants seeds of dissent that can motivate terrorism. People of all races tend to get cranky when they are victims of discrimination.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Gee, maybe we should've gotten rid of people like you when Oklahoma city bombing happened.

I'm surrounded by morons.......by all means, please tell us, whom "we" have "gotten rid of"?

Hey, that's ok according to you right, I mean how else are we going to stop those crazy white militia in Michigan other than jailing all the white people?

You don't think that members of the Michigan Militia faced intense scrutiny after the OKC bombing? Just shows how ignorant you really are.

I am not just talking about Michigan Militia. I am talking about all white American who resembles the look of those Militia. Based on your argument, the government can mistreat people based on their origin or race, not on evidence or fact. (Quote "simply based upon circumstance, like possibly where one might be a citizen. Does this cross racial barriers? Perhaps") So why not jail all white people since they and McVeigh are the same color and race? Aren't all white people threat to America security by your argument?

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
That's not rchiu's point. If we begin unjustly jailing Muslims on a regular and widespread basis, it plants seeds of dissent that can motivate terrorism.

I wouldn't disagree with that statement, but that is something that just hasn't happened. Have some Muslims been unfairly targeted? One would be crazy not to believe that, but most of the sob stories you hear of detainments are with regard to the usually less than legal status of their residency here in the states (not that I would blame anyone from over there wanting to stay over here)--but we have every right to scrutinize these people when they break the rules.

I have several friends and co-workers (including extended family) who are of arabic descent who have not given any accounts of harassment since 9/11 by law enforcement. Of course they wouldn't be representative of everyone, but if it were as bad as richiu thinks it is, I'd have heard some bitching by now.

rchiu is ridiculous when he says things like:

So why not jail all white people since they and McVeigh are the same color and race?
...his implication that we have jailed "all" arabs since 9/11. It is a complete and total misrepresentation of the facts. If he believes it he's a moron, if not, he's dishonest.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

So why not jail all white people since they and McVeigh are the same color and race?
...his implication that we have jailed "all" arabs since 9/11. It is a complete and total misrepresentation of the facts. If he believes it he's a moron, if not, he's dishonest.

I did not imply that we have jailed all Arab. I am talking about your saying that it's ok to scrutinize a whole group of people based on race or country of origin. Try to answer that or deny you've said that. Just don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about or twist my word.

Oh yeah, keep on calling me names....great to see that I am getting on yoru nerve. :cool:

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: rchiu

I did not imply that we have jailed all Arab. I am talking about your saying that it's ok to scrutinize a whole group of people based on race or country of origin. Try to answer that or deny you've said that. Just don't pretend you don't know what I am talking about or twist my word.

Oh yeah, keep on calling me names....great to see that I am getting on yoru nerve. :cool:

you're not getting on my nerves... i think you're awesome.

you could spice up the grammar...but besides that - you have very interesting views which contrast the typical Fox News Viewer.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
I am talking about your saying that it's ok to scrutinize a whole group of people based on race or country of origin.

There is a significant difference between assessing the risk an individual may pose based upon certain factors and just throwing them "all" in jail. Talk about "twisting words"....discussion over, moron.

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000

you could spice up the grammar...but besides that - you have very interesting views which contrast the typical Fox News Viewer.

A match made in heaven
rolleye.gif

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
I am talking about your saying that it's ok to scrutinize a whole group of people based on race or country of origin.

There is a significant difference between assessing the risk an individual may pose based upon certain factors and just throwing them "all" in jail. Talk about "twisting words"....discussion over, moron.

Heh, the problem with your view is that the factor you use to assessing the risk an individual pose, ie race or country of origin, applys to "all".

Or tell me that you didn't say race or country of origin should be a factor in assessing the risk of an individual. And tell me that by using race or country of origin as a factor, you are not scrutinize that entire group of people.

Not twisting words, just something straight out of your mouth...er keyboard.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

A match made in heaven
rolleye.gif

Heh, jealous that no one praise you for being the good little sheep that listen and follows everything that this sorry excuse of Administration is saying or doing?

clarkmo

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
Heh, jealous that no one praise you for being the good little sheep that listen and follows everything that this sorry excuse of Administration is saying or doing?
I somehow think Pers' feelings for you may be partially sheep related. :disgust:

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
[Heh, jealous that no one praise you for being the good little sheep that listen and follows everything that this sorry excuse of Administration is saying or doing?
I somehow think Pers' feelings for you may be partially sheep related. :disgust:

I somehow think you are the expert (as in do it alot) in sheep related feeling to make that connection. :disgust:

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Or tell me that you didn't say race or country of origin should be a factor in assessing the risk of an individual.

The fact of the matter is that country of origion is a factor of risk. Is that simply a reason to throw someone in jail? Nobody said it was. It is simply an area of risk, not a finding of guilt, nor should it be a license for the wholesale mistreatment of anyone. I never implied it should be and if you want to keep arguing this point I'm sorry, but I'm just going to continue to think you are a moron...........

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Interesting...

The first link on Google with the search terms "Abdul Hamid" and FBI yielded this:

Abdul Hamid

Is a suspicious name enough to arrest someone on an international flight? I personally would say "no," but if I were in airport security and I saw this on the anniversary of 9-11, I might decide to err on the side of safety too. I'm not saying it's right, but you have to put yourself in the security guy's shoes, and ask yourself how many chances you're willing to take.