Music while jogging - what to use?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
What devices are good for listening to music while jogging?

Not sure what to get - I have a feeling all the options suck :(

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I didn't vote in the poll cause I don't use any of those things :)

I've got a minidisc player. Skipping is never a problem.

If I was going to do it now though, I'd go mp3 player. Something that takes smart media, because the cards are cheap. At the time I bought my minidisc player, a 32mb SM card was like $98, and considering I paid about $120 for my MD player and $15 for 8 discs (ie 8x74 min of audio), I figured it worked out pretty well for me. MD is nice, but it records in real time, which is kind of a pain.

PrincessGuard

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2001
Radio may be best, depending on when you jog. Most rock stations around here have dumb talk shows in the morning, though, which might not be conducive to your rhythm.

I use an MP3 player because it's light. 64MB can hold 45-60min of music at reasonable bitrates.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Definitely a MP3 player... nice and small, plus no skipping for sure...

JustinSampson

Aug 11, 2001
I'd vote mp3 player, but I have a Sony mp3 minidisk player that holds 5 hours per disk, a tad bit more then 20min. :)

MainFramed

Diamond Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: BCYL
Definitely a MP3 player... nice and small, plus no skipping for sure...
yea those are great, but i have a Sony Walkman G-Force (sport) and i jog with it all the time, never skips :)

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
I would go with the mp3 player. A little added weight can make a big difference when you're jogging. The lightest would probably be a radio of course, but as someone mentioned, most of the stuff in the morning stinks. MP3 players come in the second lightest and should hold enough music provided you aren't running marathons or anything like that. CD players are almost out of the question because they're so big.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
CD players are almost out of the question because they're so big.

My sony sport CD player works perfectly fine as it has a strap to attach to yourself. I've never had it skip, even under sprinting either. Just dont get a crappy one and CD players work fine.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
grab a archo's (sp) mp3 player when they are onsale at best buy, which is most of the time. the thing is tiny and has a 10gig hd in it.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: SWirth86
I don;t listen to music while I run....I dont like to carry stuff.
Me either. I used to bring a tiny little digital radio tuner (using either the hip clip or arm band) and those small sports-style Sony headphones. The music (or sports program if something good was on) was nice because it would get your mind off things and you felt like you could go a little longer. But once I started to run a decent distance and work up a pretty good sweat, those little earphones would drive me nuts after awhile. I tried various styles, but they were all irritating. The last thing I need when I'm sweating really heavily is something clinging to my head, crammed in my ears with a tiny little wire bouncing annoyingly all over the place. Sorry I'm not offering any specific product recommendations, but I just wanted to let you know the experience that I (and a couple of other regular joggers I know) have had with headphones and jogging before you spend $100+ on something.

What I really need is something like that commercial for Foot Locker where the little dude from the store is running along side of me holding up a boombox playing 'Eye of the Tiger' (if anyone remembers that commercial from a few years ago )

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Quick question: I'm also considering an MP3 player that has no moving parts - so those big hard drive based are out of the question since I don't trust it to not break down. I know SmartMedia based players don't have moving parts, but what about Compact Flash?

Adrian Tung

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
The new Creative MuVo MP3 player looks very attactive. It's actually a USB thumb/pen drive + battery pack, very small, very light and minimum fuss. Comes in 64MB and 128MB flavours.

If I hadn't invested in MDs in the past I would have jumped on it.

:)atwl

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Where is a good place to buy these things, Best Buy?

you could probably find better deals online. check Hot Deals forum. search mp3, MD, CD, etc.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
How can you guys jog with headphones on? All they do for me is cause my ears to become sweaty and uncomfortable.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
MP3 player is definitely the way to go, IMO. I've got a Nomad II with 160megs memory (32onboard + 128 card.....plenty of tunes for jogging) plus an FM tuner if you happen to get sick of whatever you've loaded into the memory that day. Small, light, runs on one AA battery. I'd recommend getting the docking station as well since that way the thing is always charged and you're already plugged in to transfer songs to boot. Nomad's can be kinda hard to find in stock, but can be had cheaply if you dig. Mine was $60 from Outpost about a year ago.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Dudd
How can you guys jog with headphones on? All they do for me is cause my ears to become sweaty and uncomfortable.
Ear buds are much more comfy when sweating. :)

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i tend to go with the music in my head, but if i wanted music, i wouldn't go with anything but mp3 w/flash memory. It's the smallest and the lightest plus it will not skip.. I tried using my MD player once, but it still skipped unless i held it in my hand plus the remote in the cord made the phones pop off a lot. It just wasn't/isn't worth it for me, but hey, whatever floats your boat...