Question Multiple Network Adapters enabled causes internet issues

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is happening on both my laptop and my new desktop. (Lenovo W510 and Asus Maximus Formula XII)

If I leave all unused ethernet and wireless adapters in device manager, enabled, but disconnected, my internet is crippled and only certain pages load.

If I disable every unused ethernet and wireless adapter and keep only the adapter in use enabled in device manager, my internet works fine.

This just started in the last few months. I've never had problems like this before with multiple unused adapters.

On my laptop, if I am using Ethernet, I must disable the wifi adapter in the network settings and vice versa.

On my desktop, if I am using the GB ethernet, I must disable the 10GB Ethernet and wireless adapters in network settings for the internet to work properly.

Thanks.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
are all the NICs on DHCP?

Whatever the default is, but only the one Intel GB NIC was connected to the router. The Marvel 10GB and the WiFi disconnected, but enabled.

Only disabling them in Network setting resolved the problem.

For my laptop, I want to be able to use the wireless and wired adapters when needed. It should be automatic, not having to change settings to switch between the 2.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
check your network centre, see if you have more nics configured than you have.

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
you don't have any internet sharing or bridging set do you?
describe your network, is it just modem to router to computer?

Cable Modem to Asus RT-AX82U router to computer.

Problem exists on both laptop and desktop. Other adapters must be disabled or only parts of internet work.

(Random example: CNN works while WaPo does not. Facebook works while Steam does not)

Disabling other adapters in network settings solves the problem.

No bridging set

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Cable Modem to Asus RT-AX82U router to computer.

Problem exists on both laptop and desktop. Other adapters must be disabled or only parts of internet work.

(Random example: CNN works while WaPo does not. Facebook works while Steam does not)

Disabling other adapters in network settings solves the problem.

No bridging set
Type "ipconfig/all" in a cmd window and post it here.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Any reason your ip v6 is enabled?

Also you don't need NetBIOS over TCPIP do you?

Enable the other interfaces and run the same thing. Just copy and paste into code box,no need for pix.

Also, what are the DHCP settings on your router, did you set the same reserved ip for all three interfaces?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Make sure internet auto-tune for things like RWIN, MSS, and MTU is ENABLED for all adapters. It sounds like this is disabled, and you're running into an MSS/MTU issue, because MSS/MTU auto-discovery is DISABLED for those NICs. Did you, at any point in the histpory of this OS install, run or install an "internet optimizer" program or utility?

If so, you may need to reset your IP stack.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, autoconfiguration enabled" for all adapters. There goes my theory.

Do you have any sort of "gaming network enhancement" software installed?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Reason you have both 1G and 10G NICs?

Do you have an NAS that's capable of 10G connection that your PC is connecting to using using that 10G link but is disconnected now?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Try to set network priority.

If all 3 NICs are connected to the router and you have internet speed lower than 1Gbps then I'll set priority like following:
highest: 1Gbps NIC
2nd: WiFi
3rd: 10Gbps (it could have bugs?)

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Try to set network priority.

If all 3 NICs are connected to the router and you have internet speed lower than 1Gbps then I'll set priority like following:
highest: 1Gbps NIC
2nd: WiFi
3rd: 10Gbps (it could have bugs?)
He is having issues when there is only one connected but all three enabled.

Reactions: Amused