Multiple Diablo projects in development - more details to come

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
WC2 > WC3, and D1 > D2 > D3.

yes D2 was so much bigger and I played the shit out of it, but damn do I miss the atmosphere of D1.

D1 was lightning in a bottle. Like HL1, Quake etc. Nothing will recreate that initial feeling of those games. They were ground breakers and path setters.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I keep wanting to get into WC3 but I honestly don't know how. They give you two attacking units and ten support heroes. It doesn't make any sense. Where are my ogres and deathknights? Where's the paladins and wizards?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
D1 was lightning in a bottle. Like HL1, Quake etc. Nothing will recreate that initial feeling of those games. They were ground breakers and path setters.

i want to believe the magic can be recaptured, but i fear you are correct.

Reactions: Homerboy

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
It's probably been twenty years since I played D1, but I still remember one thing that bugged the heck out of me-touching certain shrines would permanently hurt your character. Dumbest design feature ever.

I probably spent several hundred hours playing D1, same on D2 vanilla, probably thousands of hours on LOD and 2-3 hours on D3.

There was only very specific shrines that could do this. Once you learned what they were, you ignored them. I actually thought it was a neat idea because Diablo 1 as a whole did not hold your hand, which many people now take for granted.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I keep wanting to get into WC3 but I honestly don't know how. They give you two attacking units and ten support heroes. It doesn't make any sense. Where are my ogres and deathknights? Where's the paladins and wizards?

they crammed all those roles into the single player-hero characters for each faction. It's garbage.

The only mechanic I did like about WC3 were the night elves and their moving bases. But the maps were too small and I felt like you never could effectively move your base around in a strategic way to really take advantage of it--it really just became a required annoyance more than anything.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I hope this is not one of the "major" projects they were alluding to re: Diablo franchise.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Well, if it was F2P I’d be all over it. And, we already know Blizzard is very capable of making a long lasting title just by reading some of the comments in this thread. If it was an mmorpg I’d buy it.

What else would be fun would be a diablo themed Starcraft Ghost type game. Hopefully it’s nothing like overwatch or whatever their card based game is ( can’t think of the name but it’s like magic the gathering ).

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
There's no way its an MMO. Why on Earth would they want to pull people away from WoW and risk spliting their userbase? Having online features and group play? Sure. There's no way I see them making another MMO until after WoW is clearly in its death throws.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What about a diablo themed mmorpg like WoW? That would be awesome imo.

World of WarCraft is a good reason why that may not be the best idea. WoW essentially killed off the idea of an RTS sequel, because the sequel either have to tell the same story as the game, which would be rather awkward, or it would have to tell a different story. If it did the latter, then you have two games furthering the plot, which means you'd have to play both to understand it. Frankly, that makes it easier to just stick to an MMO or RTS for WarCraft.

The only real saving grace that Diablo has is that it's already somewhat MMO-ish.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
What about making Diablo with a more open world with the towns / overworld maps being shared with other folks and the quest zones or instances would be either solo or group. Towns should be like PoE and the non story impacting world map could be contested like in Mu Legend.

And while I know I am in the very small minority, I loved Diablo's 3 cash auction house and I wish they'd bring that back. Most games have micro transactions now anyways so why not get that money in the players hands instead of Blizzard's. I think if D3 had been released a couple of years later it would have stuck. I don't know about you guys but I'd much rather sell my perfectly rolled item for 100$ than using it.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What about making Diablo with a more open world with the towns / overworld maps being shared with other folks and the quest zones or instances would be either solo or group. Towns should be like PoE and the non story impacting world map could be contested like in Mu Legend.

And while I know I am in the very small minority, I loved Diablo's 3 cash auction house and I wish they'd bring that back. Most games have micro transactions now anyways so why not get that money in the players hands instead of Blizzard's. I think if D3 had been released a couple of years later it would have stuck. I don't know about you guys but I'd much rather sell my perfectly rolled item for 100$ than using it.

The other advantage to the RMAH was it kept these types of shading things off eBay and such. And you didn't have to use real money. You could use in game gold. But I do not think it will ever come back. Especially after all the hate over loot boxes.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I did that just that with the cash AH, the problem was the drop rates for good gear were horrendously bad and it took forever to farm items.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I did that just that with the cash AH, the problem was the drop rates for good gear were horrendously bad and it took forever to farm items.

Yeah, the one nice thing of the AH being shut down is that drop rates were significantly changed.