Multiple Diablo projects in development - more details to come

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVaqS_bd-8

Greetings heroes, I am community manager Brandy Camel, also known as Nevalistis.

On behalf of the Diablo team, welcome back to Sanctuary for our newest season. For those of you still rocking your heroes in Reaper of Souls, you might have noticed we did something a little bit different for Season 14: Themed Seasons.

The Season of Greed is our first Themed Season and we plan to explore additional themes in the future. If you like to know more, click the link in the video description below.

We’d also like to let you know that the forges here at Blizzard are burning hot. And we have multiple Diablo projects in the works. Some of them are going to take longer than others. But… we may have some things to show you later this year.

We hope you stay tuned, while we work to bring these Diablo experiences to life. None of this would be possible without the support that you have shown us for over 20 years.

So whether you first joined us in Diablo III or you are a seasoned veteran, thank you. Diablo is, and always will be, part of Blizzard’s identity, and we can’t wait for the future.

Reactions: JSt0rm

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'll be more interested when they actually announce something. I got tired of the announcement announcement a long time ago.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Everything I think they should be working on would logically come back at me saying that it's simply not gonna happen.

- D2 remaster? Probably never (happened for SC1 though... but D2 is a different beast).
- D2 reboot in a modern engine? That one, definitely never.
- Another D3 expansion? Slight chances, but story-wise I honestly do not see where it can possibly go at this point, unless they all start having DBZ-style transformations to Godhood.
- Another D3 class? This is the most likely to happen... but I still have my doubts.
- Some sort of a D2 / D3 spin-off (in D3's engine) that isn't linked to the story of the Nephalem or the Prime Evils? Very unlikely (who WOULD be interested by that anyway?).
- Some sort of a graphical overhaul and/or major itemization-related changes? Heh, might as well just give us Diablo 4.
- Diablo 4? Ok, but I don't feel like aging another 10 years before I see that one happen.

The only thing I genuinely think is going to happen for this franchise by now is something along the lines of a Diablo 3 port for the Nintendo Switch.

You better blow our minds out this year at BlizzCon, Blizzard (the Diablo franchise for me has been practically dead since Season #4,587).

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
we have found the oldest member of the boards with the fewest posts ever. post/day ratio approaches 0!

how about a Diablo FPS? borderlands-style loot fest with swords and magic.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
The way I see it, D3 is done and it's too late to add more to it... a D2 remaster would sell but D4 seems a better choice and is what I'm crossing my fingers for.

Although considering where the industry is heading, it's almost certain that one of these projects with be a mobile game with micro transactions.

Chromagnus

Feb 28, 2017
- Another D3 expansion? Slight chances, but story-wise I honestly do not see where it can possibly go at this point, unless they all start having DBZ-style transformations to Godhood.

Story-wise at the end of the last expansion I felt like the series could use a reboot. The nephalim, prime evil, and angel with the prime evil soul stone, seem like they've reached levels of power above godhood. I'm sure they could find some way of reseting the story without just pretending that D1-D3 didn't happen but it seems like the protagonists and even the bad guys need to be less powerful to tell a good story.

The nephalim seem too powerful, I'd just like "regular" humans trying to battle evil. The vibe of hopelessness that they had back in D1 was great. I played a ton of D3 and enjoyed it but I just don't know where they go story-wise from here that I would be that interested in.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah, not sure how the story would progress after D3. UNLESS, it was WAY far off in the future. At a time where the nephalim don't really exists anymore, and them good/bad gods/angels/demons have nearly been forgotten. Until one of them shows up. This way it is in the same universe, but you can have a whole new story arch.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I lost interest in Blizzard with Warcraft 3 (Warcraft 2 all the way). WoW began a new hatred for the company, though I thought they could bring it back by making a decent Diablo sequel, but learning about the auction house and always online nonsense for D3, that was enough. I honestly don't care if they reboot D2 in a newer engine because they will somehow find a way to screw it up and I hate to be that guy, but I don't think I could get into it like I did with the original.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
we have found the oldest member of the boards with the fewest posts ever. post/day ratio approaches 0!

how about a Diablo FPS? borderlands-style loot fest with swords and magic.

Hellgate: London tried it, could have used a lot more polish though.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Maybe they will make a new version of diablo that plays more like Diablo/Diablo 2 at some point.
I tried to get into D3 but it's just so ... meh

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hellgate: London tried it, could have used a lot more polish though.
How I loved HGL. I wish there was a way to bring it back.

Maybe they will make a new version of diablo that plays more like Diablo/Diablo 2 at some point.
I tried to get into D3 but it's just so ... meh
Have you played Titan Quest and subsequently Grim Dawn? Titan Quest was made by the original Blizzard North team and Grim Dawn is essentially a much darker Titan Quest but instead of mythology, you have fantasy.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I lost interest in Blizzard with Warcraft 3 (Warcraft 2 all the way). WoW began a new hatred for the company, though I thought they could bring it back by making a decent Diablo sequel, but learning about the auction house and always online nonsense for D3, that was enough. I honestly don't care if they reboot D2 in a newer engine because they will somehow find a way to screw it up and I hate to be that guy, but I don't think I could get into it like I did with the original.

Hey, I'm that other guy! :D

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
How I loved HGL. I wish there was a way to bring it back.

Have you played Titan Quest and subsequently Grim Dawn? Titan Quest was made by the original Blizzard North team and Grim Dawn is essentially a much darker Titan Quest but instead of mythology, you have fantasy.
Im aware of both, and have both on my "if family or friends buy it, then pick it up" list.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Titan Quest and Grim Dawn are great solo. In fact, both games were made with single player in mind as the servers for multiplayer on Grim Dawn are still pretty bad.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

Hey, I'm that other guy! :D

WC2 > WC3, and D1 > D2 > D3.

yes D2 was so much bigger and I played the shit out of it, but damn do I miss the atmosphere of D1.

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
but damn do I miss the atmosphere of D1.

This more than anything. I'm tired of all Blizzard games essentially turning to a B tier action movie with cheesy dialogue. Diablo was best when you could feel the dread. Not evil butterflies killing Deckard Cane or Azmodan, the supposed best tactician in Hell, telling you exactly what his strategy is for you to foil yet again. Blizzard can make sticky multiplayer titles no problem but I'd like the singleplayer component for once not be a cliche filled eye roll.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
WC2 > WC3, and D1 > D2 > D3.

yes D2 was so much bigger and I played the shit out of it, but damn do I miss the atmosphere of D1.

giphy.gif

D1 was definitely the best of the 3 (as is WC2 & SC1), even had a blast playing D1 on the PlayStation. Mods have kept D1 going, plus freeablo: https://freeablo.org/

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
It's probably been twenty years since I played D1, but I still remember one thing that bugged the heck out of me-touching certain shrines would permanently hurt your character. Dumbest design feature ever.

I probably spent several hundred hours playing D1, same on D2 vanilla, probably thousands of hours on LOD and 2-3 hours on D3.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
D1 was definitely the best of the 3 (as is WC2 & SC1), even had a blast playing D1 on the PlayStation. Mods have kept D1 going, plus freeablo: https://freeablo.org/

There was a guy that went back and reverse engineered the Diablo source code.

Personally, I prefer Diablo II over Diablo, but I do like WarCraft II over WarCraft III. I just never cared much for the upkeep system. It seemed like that after the release of StarCraft, they wanted to differentiate the RTS aspect between the two where StarCraft would be the massive battle game and WarCraft would focus on the smaller skirmishes.