Multiple deadly attacks on Churches in Sri Lanka

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Another typical P&N thread. Thread hijacked and the original issue is sidetracked and derailed successfully by both sides. Congrats folks.

May 13, 2009
They aren't bitching about news media reports. They are bitching that Obama, Clinton etc... didn't say Christian in condolence tweets.

News flash. Trump didn't say Christians either. They don't mention that though. it's just more faux outrage from the faux religious. I mean fuck 300+ people were killed and all they want to rant about is who isn't using the right words.
I'm personally tired of the dancing around. There are certain places/people/religions that are prone to this shit. We know who they are. It's not fair that a whole race of people gets lumped into it. If they have a grievance with anyone it should be the shitbags that carry out these crimes. We should limit/stop travel from certain areas and yes even profile them should they travel via airline. Sorry, some places in this world are completely fucked. I have no intentions of letting them bring their shit over here. I will continue to vote for whomever supports that. Trump is a scumbag and I vehemently disagree with his environmental policies but I refuse to vote for a Democrat that cannot understand basic common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous
Nov 25, 2013
Be honest, not mentioning the type of church is pretty odd for a news media report.

You know, just like how the NZ shooter shot up MUSLIM churches - not a Ramadan church?

But hey - I guess it's a lot like when the news media reports a muslim nutjob he is no longer muslim - he's an "Islamic extremist" heh. Oh the hypocrisy is quite hilarious.

#fuckofftroll

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It takes some seriously hateful stupidity to turn something we all condemn into an opportunity to bash the Libruhls. Some people are lucky that breathing is an autonomic function.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Be honest, not mentioning the type of church is pretty odd for a news media report.

You know, just like how the NZ shooter shot up MUSLIM churches - not a Ramadan church?

But hey - I guess it's a lot like when the news media reports a muslim nutjob he is no longer muslim - he's an "Islamic extremist" heh. Oh the hypocrisy is quite hilarious.

Wow, this is just basic language, I suggest you educate yourself a bit. Does the media need to spoonfeed you everything?

Islam refers to their buildings of worship as a mosque. Hence, the reports were that the shootings were at a mosque. No one referred to them as MUSLIM churches, and Ramadan is a holiday not a religion.

Christians refers to their places of worship as churches. When referring to a church it is generally understood to indicate a christian place of worship.

Judaism refers to their places of worship as synagogue. When referring to a synagogue it is generally understood to inidicate a Jewish place of worship.

Temple is used by Bhudists, Sihks and many others, generally minority religions in the US. I have generally seen any temple references to be prefixed by the religion (Bhuddist Temple, Sihk Temple, etc).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm personally tired of the dancing around. There are certain places/people/religions that are prone to this shit. We know who they are. It's not fair that a whole race of people gets lumped into it. If they have a grievance with anyone it should be the shitbags that carry out these crimes. We should limit/stop travel from certain areas and yes even profile them should they travel via airline. Sorry, some places in this world are completely fucked. I have no intentions of letting them bring their shit over here. I will continue to vote for whomever supports that. Trump is a scumbag and I vehemently disagree with his environmental policies but I refuse to vote for a Democrat that cannot understand basic common sense.

Surely you realize the odds of you being killed in a terrorist attack are effectively zero, right? Trump's Muslim ban does basically nothing to affect your life or make it better. Know what policies he DOES have that affect your life? He enacted a long term tax increase for middle class people to give that money to the rich. He's actively attempting to make climate change worse, he made it so your financial adviser no longer has to act in your best interests when recommending products, etc, etc.

'My stock broker can try and trick me into buying shit I don't need but at least we have fewer Muslims' seems like a crazy political position to hold.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Surely you realize the odds of you being killed in a terrorist attack are effectively zero, right? Trump's Muslim ban does basically nothing to affect your life or make it better. Know what policies he DOES have that affect your life? He enacted a long term tax increase for middle class people to give that money to the rich. He's actively attempting to make climate change worse, he made it so your financial adviser no longer has to act in your best interests when recommending products, etc, etc.

'My stock broker can try and trick me into buying shit I don't need but at least we have fewer Muslims' seems like a crazy political position to hold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

According to a 2017 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, "of the 85 violent extremist incidents that resulted in death since September 12, 2001, far right wing violent extremist groups were responsible for 62 (73 percent) while radical Islamist violent extremists were responsible for 23 (27 percent)

The total number of fatalities is about the same for far right wing violent extremists and radical Islamist violent extremists over the approximately 15-year period (106 and 94, respectively). However, 52 percent of the deaths attributable to radical Islamist violent extremists occurred in a single event—an attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida in 2016.

94 deaths from Islamic terrorism in 16 years. About 5.5 per year, in a country of over 320 million people. And these morons are in a frenzy over it.

And if anyone wants to complain about leaving out 9/11, it's because it was a one-off event. Looking at future safety, there is no reason right wing extremists couldn't pull off something similar or worse. If anything, they have greater opportunity to do so.

Even Trump's least significant bad policies are more threat than the total threat from Islamic terrorism. And that's even if you DID include 9/11.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

94 deaths from Islamic terrorism in 16 years. About 5.5 per year, in a country of over 320 million people. And these morons are in a frenzy over it.

And if anyone wants to complain about leaving out 9/11, it's because it was a one-off event. Looking at future safety, there is no reason right wing extremists couldn't pull off something similar or worse. If anything, they have greater opportunity to do so.

The worst act of terrorism on US soil prior to 9/11 was a right wing terrorist.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Well see they were at the churches worshiping on Easter. It's not that hard to figure out. The criticism is stupid.
You didn't know, all the guilt ridden atheists come out for Easter so they can feel better about themselves. Or it could be......

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
You should count 9/11 and also every death attributed to ISIS.

How many deaths has ISIS been responsible for on United States territory? Attacks in other countries don't count unless you are one of those people that think any attack by ISIS is an act of terrorism against the United States. If you are one of those people I'm sure you shit your pants thinking that they are coming for you next and that they are sneaking across our southern border because you know Mexico is located near the deserts of Africa and the Middle East.

Nov 8, 2012
How many deaths has ISIS been responsible for on United States territory? Attacks in other countries don't count unless you are one of those people that think any attack by ISIS is an act of terrorism against the United States. If you are one of those people I'm sure you shit your pants thinking that they are coming for you next and that they are sneaking across our southern border because you know Mexico is located near the deserts of Africa and the Middle East.

It doesn't mean you get to cherry pick data. It's like saying "There are X number of terrorist deaths in France, as long as you don't include the Paris attacks"

Overall I agree that terrorism is a lot like any other deaths - your chances are likely higher from moving vehicles than anything else - but don't try to cherry pick at least.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
An act of terror is an act of terror. I am not going to cherry pick data to fit a particular narrative. Would you rather live in Alabama or Brunei?

Mar 11, 2004

So how are you gonna deal with white supremacists doing that shit here? They've committed more terrorist acts on US soil than probably any other group.

Also, you're tired of dancing around? Not sure what dancing you think you're doing other than you trying to ignore that shit happening here by right wing groups/people so you can blame Muslims. So absolutely let's stop dancing around that and deal with it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Attacking Christians is a new thing in Ceylon, afaict. It's not the same sort of thing as their civil war between the Sinhalese Buddhist majority & the Tamil Muslim minority. That went on from 1983-2009 when the Tamils were subdued. It's a whole different kind of statement to the world rather than their traditional internal strife.

Nov 25, 2013
Attacking Christians is a new thing in Ceylon, afaict. It's not the same sort of thing as their civil war between the Sinhalese Buddhist majority & the Tamil Muslim minority. That went on from 1983-2009 when the Tamils were subdued. It's a whole different kind of statement to the world rather than their traditional internal strife.

No, it's not new. Buddhist extremists have been attacking Christians (and Muslims) for a number of years now.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/2001/08/02/Christian-Buddhist-conflict-in-Sri-Lanka/2661996724800/

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Sri-...entalists-attack-(also)-Christians-27590.html

Nov 8, 2012