Multiple deadly attacks on Churches in Sri Lanka

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
They went out of their way to not say the word Christian. They aren’t typically referred to as Easter worshippers are you know that, why dance around not saying Christians?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
They went out of their way to not say the word Christian. They aren’t typically referred to as Easter worshippers are you know that, why dance around not saying Christians?

You pick weird hills to die on for a supposed moderate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I am a non-believer, I am not a Christian, and celebrate Easter. I've even gone to church at the behest of family on certain holidays, my kid got an Easter basket, all of that. For me it is a cultural thing, not a religious holiday. The thing about it is, the right leaning christians don't seem to mind sharing, the left would scream "cultural appropriation!" and retreat to their safe place.

Well then by that logic you agree with Obama and the Democrats as we don't know the religious faith of the people attending Easter services. Thanks for confirming that the conservative snowflakes are freaking out over nothing.

Also if you think liberals have any problem sharing Easter worship with other people this just shows what an utterly insane cultural bubble you live in.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Take it up with SlowSpyder, he says that lots of people at Easter services aren't Christians so what Obama said was far more accurate. He's actually 100% right on that, for a change.

Oddly enough I don't remember you being this angry about when victims of terrorist attacks on the Hajj are called 'pilgrims' instead of 'Muslims' despite their faith being far more certain. Is there a reason?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well then by that logic you agree with Obama and the Democrats as we don't know the religious faith of the people attending Easter services. Thanks for confirming that the conservative snowflakes are freaking out over nothing.

Also if you think liberals have any problem sharing Easter worship with other people this just shows what an utterly insane cultural bubble you live in.

So then you were just lying for the sake of your emotional held position when you said the quote below?

Uhmm, isn't Christianity the only religion that celebrates Easter? Who would it be other than Christians? Do you not notice the irony in saying people are afraid of offending others these days and then freaking out when you think the victims were referred to by the slightly wrong word? This thread will serve as a great resource for the next time any conservative complains about PC culture or liberal snowflakes.

'THEY WERE ONLY REFERRED TO AS PEOPLE WORSHIPING CHRISTIANITY'S MOST SACRED HOLIDAY, NOT AS CHRISTIANS. BAWWWWWW.'

Sounds like you were.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Take it up with SlowSpyder, he says that lots of people at Easter services aren't Christians so what Obama said was far more accurate. He's actually 100% right on that, for a change.

Oddly enough I don't remember you being this angry about when victims of terrorist attacks on the Hajj are called 'pilgrims' instead of 'Muslims' despite their faith being far more certain. Is there a reason?

No, I agree with Ugly Cassonova, they obviously go out of their way to not look like they side with anything the right tends to associate with, like christianity. My opinion on this is built on a lot more examples over time than just this situation, though. Happy holidays, yo.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No, I agree with Ugly Cassonova, they obviously go out of their way to not look like they side with anything the right tends to associate with, like christianity. My opinion on this is built on a lot more examples over time than just this situation, though. Happy holidays, yo.

Oh okay got it so to be clear you are now arguing that:

1) plenty of the people at the services were not Christians.
2) Obama should have wrongly called them Christians anyway because people say 'Happy Holidays'.
3) lol.

This is why I love arguing with people like you who have no coherent, logical world view, just an emotional need for their side to 'win'. If you had taken a single second to think of the consequences for your argument in your previous post you either wouldn't have made it or (better!) actually adopted a rational world view in line with the facts and changed your opinion. You're not smart enough or forward thinking enough to do that though which is why you're constantly caught in these traps.

alternate earl

May 3, 2018
Canadian Liberal leader Justin Trudeau under attack by alt right for referring to Easter worshipers as Christians

Jan 25, 2011
Canadian Liberal leader Justin Trudeau under attack by alt right for referring to Easter worshipers as Christians

Meanwhile Obama, Clinton etc... are being attacked for calling them Easter worshipers, not Christians. Or did you have Trudeau's criticism backwards?

https://www.breitbart.com/national-...attacks-on-easter-worshippers-not-christians/

What makes it funny is if you point out to the right that Trump didn't call them Christians either they chime back with "WE KNEW WHAT HE MEANT!"

May 13, 2009
I have never in my life heard of a Christian referred to as an Easter Worshipper. That's just fucking silly. Are you people so naive that you can't see what they are doing? They don't want to give any credence to the right and why maybe they would want to put any regulations in place to protect Christians and America in general.

Reactions: Thunder 57

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I have never in my life heard of a Christian referred to as an Easter Worshipper. That's just fucking silly. Are you people so naive that you can't see what they are doing? They don't want to give any credence to the right and why maybe they would want to put any regulations in place to protect Christians and America in general.

So I thought about this for a second and figured that searching for 'Easter worshiper' would be impossible thanks to all the fake hysteria ginned up by right wing media but 'Christmas worshiper' might be fine.

Sure enough, I immediately turned up tons of cases where people are called 'Easter worshipers' or 'Christmas worshipers'.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/26/world/middleeast/baghdad-bomb-attack.html

https://www.onecallnow.com/blog/12/part-turn-christmas-easter-worshipers-regulars/

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/stories/5-countries-christmas-crime/

So, care to revise your theory that Obama and Clinton are engaged in a secret plot against Christians?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Wut?

Jan 25, 2011
Well see they were at the churches worshiping on Easter. It's not that hard to figure out. The criticism is stupid.

Reactions: IllogicalGlory
Nov 25, 2013
Who would have thunk. I’m shocked !

The government on Monday blamed National Thowheeth Jama’ath, a little-known radical Islamist organization, for the bombings. An official said the group, which had not carried out any serious attacks before, had help from “an international network.”

CyXxw2OXcAAP0rn.jpg

#fuckofftroll

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Uh oh guys, Fox News has joined forces with Obama and Clinton. This conspiracy goes deeper than I thought!

D4xLoVmXsAAOsPF.jpg:large

There is no ridiculous conspiracy theory that conservatives won't bite into. You guys are the biggest snowflakes of all.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Uh oh guys, Fox News has joined forces with Obama and Clinton. This conspiracy goes deeper than I thought!

D4xLoVmXsAAOsPF.jpg:large

There is no ridiculous conspiracy theory that conservatives won't bite into. You guys are the biggest snowflakes of all.

Lol

alternate earl

May 3, 2018
Meanwhile Obama, Clinton etc... are being attacked for calling them Easter worshipers, not Christians. Or did you have Trudeau's criticism backwards?

I was taking a poke at the snowflakes freaking out about the Libs saying Easter worshipers instead of Christians
I had seen that Trudeau said Christians when referring to this act of terrorism

Nov 8, 2012

Be honest, not mentioning the type of church is pretty odd for a news media report.

You know, just like how the NZ shooter shot up MUSLIM churches - not a Ramadan church?

But hey - I guess it's a lot like when the news media reports a muslim nutjob he is no longer muslim - he's an "Islamic extremist" heh. Oh the hypocrisy is quite hilarious.

Jan 25, 2011
Be honest, not mentioning the type of church is pretty odd for a news media report.

You know, just like how the NZ shooter shot up MUSLIM churches - not a Ramadan church?

But hey - I guess it's a lot like when the news media reports a muslim nutjob he is no longer muslim - he's an "Islamic extremist" heh. Oh the hypocrisy is quite hilarious.
They aren't bitching about news media reports. They are bitching that Obama, Clinton etc... didn't say Christian in condolence tweets.

News flash. Trump didn't say Christians either. They don't mention that though. it's just more faux outrage from the faux religious. I mean fuck 300+ people were killed and all they want to rant about is who isn't using the right words.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Where did you get the idea that news media reports didn't mention that Christians were involved? The headlines may not have, a tweet by Obama may not have, but the reports absolutely did. This is a good example of how social media/the internet/right wing media distorts the news as it spins itself up.

Also if talking about 'Easter worshipers' is weird and somehow indicative of liberal intolerance or whatever why did Fox News do the same thing and why didn't conservatives freak out about that?

It's not odd in the slightest, for example when there were terrorist attacks on those participating in the Hajj, the common news headline was about the Hajj, or about 'pilgrims', it was not about the 'Islamic Hajj'.

https://ifpnews.com/exclusive/ira-hajj-pilgrim-attack-terrorists/

Do you think it is indicative of media bias that they did not mention that those engaged in the Hajj were Muslims? If not, why is it problematic here?

What precisely do you think is the difference between calling someone Islamic or calling them a Muslim? For these purposes those words are synonymous.