Multiple cold sores....

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Man this is hard to talk about, about 3 years ago I got a cold sore, for the first time ever, I mean it was pretty small and it cleared up after a week or so. A year went by no cold sore, then last January I got a cold sore, again not to bad, cleared up after a week. Far forward to last monday i noticed my lip was red and had multiple white dots, i put on some abreva hoping for the best, well now its sunday and its just a huge scab...I mean its disgusting the scab is huge. Its the biggest cold sore I've ever had, worst part is, I woke up today, and I have another cold sore beside it forming, and another one on the other side of my mouth...holy shit. My whole mouth is going to be a giant scab...I've never gotten them like this in my entire life.

I know this can be due to stress but wow this is serious. Ive been stressing for the past month, but I am getting it under control, I've also been dieting and losing weight. This however is ridiculous I cannot leave the house looking like this, its absolutely disgusting. I have no idea why the hell they keep forming, my original one hasnt even healed.

I have no idea what to do....I just want this to end, I have never had them like this in my entire life, this is causing me more stress....I feel like a freak.

UnicrnDroppings

Jan 12, 2014
Sorry to hear. Could sores are unpleasant. You are correct in that stress can trigger them. You should get your Physician or Dentist to write you a prescription for an antiviral acyclovir ointment. It works wonders. If you place it on the infected area when you feel the initial "tingle" prior to the actual cold sore eruption, many times, the cold sore will stay dormant and never come up and multiply. The abreva shizz does not work.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Sorry to hear. Could sores are unpleasant. You are correct in that stress can trigger them. You should get your Physician or Dentist to write you a prescription for an antiviral acyclovir ointment. It works wonders. If you place it on the infected area when you feel the initial "tingle" prior to the actual cold sore eruption, many times, the cold sore will stay dormant and never come up and multiply. The abreva shizz does not work.

Is this stuff expensive? Because this stupid Abreva cost $18 the bottle is tiny as hell and it does not work.

I think this outbreak has to do with the stress I am putting my body through with this diet, mixed with the cold weather, and the mental stress that I am dealing with. But if I could get a cream that stops it from forming then I am all game.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. Stress can weaken your immune system, leading to outbreaks. Chocolate also has been suggested to possibly increase herpes outbreaks (I don't know if that has been proven).

If you can do some things to strengthen your immune system, the outbreaks will probably decrease.

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
I've had coldsores all of my life and will say that Abreva is the absolute WORST thing you can put on it. I've noticed coldsores are induced by either stress, or lack of hydration (in my case). Either way, the best thing I have found is to buy a vile of concentrated Tea Tree Extract and apply it with a q-tip multiple times/day. Seems like the Tea Tree oil dries it out pretty quickly, plus it's all natural.

When I was a kid, my orthodontist recommended Lysine tablets daily. Not sure how effective those were since it seemed like I would get diarrahea, so I quit taking them.

UnicrnDroppings

Jan 12, 2014
Is this stuff expensive? Because this stupid Abreva cost $18 the bottle is tiny as hell and it does not work.

I think this outbreak has to do with the stress I am putting my body through with this diet, mixed with the cold weather, and the mental stress that I am dealing with. But if I could get a cream that stops it from forming then I am all game.
It's $30 with insurance (or whatever your insurance co pay for rx is) but without I think it runs for $400 for 1 oz

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Almost everyone has herpes 1. But most people never show any symptoms. I would say this is pretty much HSV1, HSV1 and HSV2 reoccur. Avoid foods loaded with arginine and unless its severe the change in your diet and taking Lysine will pretty much keep you clear. If it gets worse you will probably need an anti-viral. And one of the triggers of HSV is stress. Be a little careful, you can pass this along. This ain't like having genital, but its still just as contagious.

Last edited:

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
It's $30 with insurance (or whatever your insurance co pay for rx is) but without I think it runs for $400 for 1 oz
-------------------------------------------------

Come visit my page, and check out my youtube channel :)
HOLY SHIT! $400....god, I have no idea what coverage I get with my school. I might have to pay out of pocket and claim it after...that is far to expensive.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Almost everyone has herpes 1. But most people never show any symptoms. I would say this is pretty much HSV1, HSV1 and HSV2 reoccur. Avoid foods loaded with arginine and unless its severe the change in your diet and taking Lysine will pretty much keep you clear. If it gets worse you will probably need an anti-viral. And one of the triggers of HSV is stress. Be a little careful, you can pass this along. This ain't like having genital, but its still just as contagious.

Yeh, I know about the L-Lysine and L-Argenine. Lately, I have been eating a ton of Argenine in comparison to Lysine. Yesterday, when I saw the other two cold sores forming I started to take some action after I posted. I began to eat tuna, and drink milk. I started to eat garlic, and yogurt, and I dabbed some alcohol on the two new sores. Well I did that until the wee hours of the morning and it seems that the two new forming ones have resided. I am not a big fan of taking a supplement for something when I can simply add it within my diet.

I am trying to keep my stress levels down, and include a wider variety of foods in my diet, hopefully that will keep everything in check.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

HSV1 can be passed to genital through oral sex.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Cold sores suck, I get them 1 or 2 times a year. Generally I just use abreva and it clears up in about a week.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Try upping the dosage of Lysine. When I breakout I take 2000mg in the morning and another dosage at night til it heals. Instead of taking a week or longer to heal it cuts it down to 3-4 days.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I know Argenine can enable breakouts but what about glutamine? I've read that is can help prevent and cause. I know it's a plus to supplement with weight training which I would like to do.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I feel ya, man. I usually to get them 1-2 year, usually when stressed or being out in the cold/wind. But in the last year, I've had 6-7.

Abreva is expensive, but it seems to help at bit, at least at the initial phase. They rarely progress to that really shiny, clear-looking, multiple-heads phase with it - they dry out really quick. Of course, then you have a scab for a few days, but that still seems better to me.

I head someone once mention they get a temporary prescript for Valtrex when they have a cold sore, but I have no idea if that helps or not.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Okay, I wanted to update people, as this may or may not help others.

2 days ago I felt a tingling on my lip, looked in the mirror, what do you know 3 red spots just waiting to burst out. I took quick action, went out and grabbed a bottle of Natures Bounty L-Lysine 1000mg tablets. I popped 4 of them, and then took about 6 more throughout the day. I ate a lot of chicken that day as well. Went to bed woke up...those suckers did not get bigger, nor did they turn into a monstrous scab. I popped 3 more pills that morning and took one every hour after that, by the time 6pm rolled around of the second day I looked in the mirror all I had was 3 tiny (pin sized) brown scabs where the big red dots use to be. I am on day 3, still popping these lysine pills, minimum of 9 a day, and all I have are a few barely noticeable scabs that are just waiting to heal.

Every cold sore I have had previously my method of treatment was rubbing alcohol and abreva, both of them never did shit all, the cold sore turned into a huge disgusting scab that you could see from a mile away. So for these pills to actually stop the cold sore from getting any bigger, is actually a breath of fresh air.

In short, give it a try make sure to grab 1000mg versions, I must warn you the pills are huge, and i mean HUGE. Take 9 grams a day and eat a lot of fish, beef, chicken or pork as they contain high amounts of L-Lysine as well. If it doesn't work, then I am sorry :( but if it does, then congrats. I will keep up with taking L-lysine daily in hopes that I can prevent a future attack from even occurring.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
You need suppresion therapy.

Acyclovir 400-800mg twice daily or more times daily.

Lysine 2000-6000mg daily

BHT 350mg twice daily (with food) Use with caution.

Forget topical. Prevent outbreaks, not treat ones already there.

Acyclovir is cheap enough generic. it also prevent viral shedding. (pieces of virus that slough off the nerve endings on the surface of the skin in affeacted areas) Viral shedding occurs even when there is no blister visible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47444/

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1071-BHT%20(BUTYLATED%20HYDROXYTOLUENE).aspx?activeIngredientId=1071&activeIngredientName=BHT%20(BUTYLATED%20HYDROXYTOLUENE)

This is not medical advice.

Go see the doctor at your school. You can get the RX for acyclovir.

Last edited:

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
When I detect very early stage that it is happening, kind of pressure feeling in affected lip area, I cut yellow fresh onion in half and pressure massage the place/area with both halves for 20 minutes or so....

It tends to help very much especially when done early.

Total cost ~ ten cents.

KeyboardCowboy

Jul 7, 2019
Trouble with Acyclovir is it has side effects!

Stick with the lysine, even as a preventative dose.

Commercial link removed.
admin allisolm

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Garlic, vitamin C, and more sleep.

Amino acids aren't the answer. You might also check your sodium, potassium, and magnesium levels (or just increase for now).

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
OK, I know this is an old thread, but in the interest of helping anyone with similar issues ...

Stay away from nuts, they can cause flare ups of herpes (if you have it), because they are rich sources of arginine. Actually, stay away from arginine sources in general ... unless you like sores.

(Non-herpetites can ignore this advice.)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Maybe. I have the virus but only get minor cold sores on my lower lip/gum area. Haven't had one in years though, and eat nuts every other day, and even more often other arginine rich foods like legumes and meat.

It's not easy to avoid arginine if you eat a balanced diet with enough protein.

friedburrito

Aug 3, 2019
If you have cold sores, as in herpes, One thing you can do is take daily medication. Like Valtrex. you Take it every day. it Really helps me personally. I don't get breakouts now.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
are the cold sores on your pecker???

H&F is not OT.

Perknose
Forum Director