Multiculturism a Factor Turning Moderate Muslims Radical in Europe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor
The West may be inadvertently fueling the problem by not understanding that fundamental Muslims interpret their "politeness" as weakness or submission.

This is the big problem. With Islam and with illegal immigrants from Central America. We make concessions, try to make them feel at home. Back in the day, immigrants were forced to assimilate to our culture. Our behavior as a society is making them think, "Well, they must not be too attached to their lifestyle, since they adapted to mine so quickly."

No.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
There's a book by an ex-Muslim lady whose name I can't remember, and on her CSPAN lecture discussing the book she talked about how the West is too self-doubting and accomodating to radical Islam.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nebor
Bin Laden is a scrappy fighter, making due with few resources. I don't take any comparison to him as an insult.
I predict that little quote winds up in a sig or two... ;)

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
There's a book by an ex-Muslim lady whose name I can't remember, and on her CSPAN lecture discussing the book she talked about how the West is too self-doubting and accomodating to radical Islam.

Her name is Dr Wafaa Sultan

Here she is ripping them a new one in a interview:

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMnnOcUMvv-4&title=Wafaa+Sultan

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
While I, as a person deeply committed to the West's Judeo-Christian values and ideals, am worried about the problems we face, I have to als point out that the article and the source quoted in the OP are pure crap.

First of all, the word "multiculturism" doesn't exist.

Second, the text says "In the next 1,000 years, Sultans subdued Indonesia, Java, Borneo, Sumatra, the Byzantine Empire, the Balkans, Armenia, Greece, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Wallachia, Moldova, Serbia and regions of China, Tibet, Bengal, Mongolia, India, Russia, Hungary and Poland." Well, "the Balkans" already include Serbia and Bulgaria; Wallachia and Moldova ARE regions of Romania; I don't remember Poland ever being "subdued" by Turkey...

Under these circumstances, I prefer to wait a more rational and less error-prone discourse, before embarking in a controversy.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: halik
Holly rollers fire bombing abortion clinics is the same thing... I have yet to meet a cashier that wanted to chop my head off for ringing up porch chops.

I take it idiotic hyperboles are your specialty?

Go count those attacks up compared to Islamic Terrorism. They're dwarfed AT LEAST 1000 to 1, and yet you think they even compare to one another? We also execute and jail such radicals, we don?t go marching out into the streets to praise them. We don?t burn effigies of those who are attacked in support of the attacker.

So I take it you?d fervently point out what black people did horribly wrong if a white supremacist was refusing to serve them because of race? You?re pointing out what infidels do wrong in the face of Islamic Supremacists who openly disdain us.

It's interesting you bring up the "white supremacist" example. It wasn't that long ago that they were a HUGE factor in the US, engaging in activities not all that dissimilar from what the Islamic extremists do in the Middle East. Would it have been safe to conclude about white people what you're concluding about Muslims?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
While I, as a person deeply committed to the West's Judeo-Christian values and ideals,

Our values and ideals are not Judeo-Christian in origin. Well, unless you're thinking of values and ideals other than freedom, democracy, humanism, knowledge, equality,secularism, and openness.

Judeo-Christian values are essentially the same as Islamic values. The term should really be Judeo-Christian-Islamic.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: AnitaPeterson
While I, as a person deeply committed to the West's Judeo-Christian values and ideals,

Our values and ideals are not Judeo-Christian in origin. Well, unless you're thinking of values and ideals other than freedom, democracy, humanism, knowledge, equality,secularism, and openness.

Judeo-Christian values are essentially the same as Islamic values. The term should really be Judeo-Christian-Islamic.

Agreed. Muslims basically view Christians/Jews the same way Christians view Jews. They basically accept them as a former true Religion of God.