Multi GPU stuttering captured with 300FPS camera

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
triple buffering compared to double buffering means creating another buffer.

A fully uncompressed 32bit color buffer of a 1920x1200 pixel image will take 1920 lines * 1200 lines * 32bit/pixel = 73728000 lines * lines * bit / pixel.

lines * lines = pixel so its just 73728000bit * 1byte/8bit = 9216000 bytes * KiB/1024byte = 9000KiB * MiB/1024KiB = 8.7890625 MiB exactly. Not gonna matter much on a 1+ GiB ram card.

yes we are pass that long ago whats it got to do with micro stuttering?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
vsync got a problem it normally drops half your refresh rate. so tripple buffering with vsync gets it back up to under the refresh rate. the added buffer give the gpu more time to wait for the lcds signal.

That's great, but it has nothing to do with micro-stutter.
lol the ram does

triple buffering compared to double buffering means creating another buffer.

A fully uncompressed 32bit color buffer of a 1920x1200 pixel image will take 1920 lines * 1200 lines * 32bit/pixel = 73728000 lines * lines * bit / pixel.

lines * lines = pixel so its just 73728000bit * 1byte/8bit = 9216000 bytes * KiB/1024byte = 9000KiB * MiB/1024KiB = 8.7890625 MiB exactly. Not gonna matter much on a 1+ GiB ram card.
yes we are pass that long ago whats it got to do with micro stuttering?

Do correct me if I am wrong... but did you not just assert that triple buffering causes stuttering because it consumes too much RAM?

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Do correct me if I am wrong... but did you not just assert that triple buffering causes stuttering because it consumes too much RAM?

No I was commenting on the vsync issue dropping the frame rates half the refresh rate. Tripple buffering bring it back to just under the refresh rate.

Back to the topic at hand. Micro stutter caused most times by the ram overheating. Have a look at problematic cards then the aftermarket cooler in circulation for it. 5870 was plagued by it

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
No I was commenting on the vsync issue dropping the frame rates half the refresh rate. Tripple buffering bring it back to just under the refresh rate.

Back to the topic at hand. Micro stutter caused most times by the ram overheating. Have a look at problematic cards then the aftermarket cooler in circulation for it. 5870 was plagued by it

Did you read the links in this thread?
Because you are talking jibberish now.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
LiuKangBakinPie said:
lol the ram does

I fail to see how "lol the ram does" = "vsync halves frame rate, triple buffering fixes it"...
it looks quite clear to me that you were positing that triple buffering has too high a ram cost, and now you are trying to pretend you didn't because I showed you just how little ram it takes.

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Did you read the links in this thread?
Because you are talking jibberish now.
no have you ever checked the ram temps on them? No there's no sensor. How hot does a 5870 get? They can cook. No imagine what the ram temps must be. Ever had faulty ram with a pc?

Last edited:

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I fail to see how "lol the ram does" = "vsync halves frame rate, triple buffering fixes it"...
it looks quite clear to me that you were positing that triple buffering has too high a ram cost, and now you are trying to pretend you didn't because I showed you just how little ram it takes.

no I replied long ago to the vsync discussion. Check my first and second post in this thread. Vsynvc got nothing to do with ms. ram that's getting really hot is ms

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
He's saying that the ram is getting super hot for a few milliseconds and eating lots of grass, then cooling off rapidly and the next rendering time is suddenly just awesome again.

Stupid rams getting hot and eating all the grasses! (I'm reminded of the Orz from Star Control II now. Ahh, good times!)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
He's saying that the ram is getting super hot for a few milliseconds and eating lots of grass, then cooling off rapidly and the next rendering time is suddenly just awesome again.

Stupid rams getting hot and eating all the grasses! (I'm reminded of the Orz from Star Control II now. Ahh, good times!)

Happy Campers!