MSI Radeon HD 4890 OC - $155.24 after cash back, MSI rebate

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: craftech
See my note at the end of this thread regarding MSI rebates for products purchased through MWAVE and ZZF:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2296298&enterthread=y

John

Luckily, I did the fine print on the MSI/ZZF $20 rebate for the 4830 and contacted ZZF to get a valid invoice. ZZF was extremely helpful and emailed me the invoice within minutes.

As of now, my MSI rebate was approved. Still a pain in the ass, though.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
See my note at the end of this thread regarding MSI rebates for products purchased through MWAVE and ZZF:

John

That is a valid point, John.

For those who don't want to click through to John's post, here is the reply he got from MSI:

Hello Customer:

Under our rebate condition 1B, packing list is not accepted. The end-user
customer's invoice is used as proof of purchase. We do not accept Order
Confirmations, Packing Lists, Order Detail, or Order Statue.

Attached is the promotion form for your product. In red, it states:

"Note: ZipZoomFly and Mwave customers are required to contact vendor for
valid invoice"

Also attached is an example of a valid ZipZoomFly invoice. The status on the
invoice states that it has been "processed".

As a result, rebate has been rejected

We are sorry, but we do not accept re-submission under condition #9.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
MSI Rebate

:disgust:

You do need to have a special invoice from ZZF and Mwave to meet the particulars of MSI rebate policy. I called ZZF Customer Service and they emailed me a valid invoice in PDF format.

The key thing seems to have the word "Processed" on your invoice to make it valid for MSI.

shadyshabby

Jun 29, 2009
The way I look at it, mail in rebates are hardly ever worth it.

With all the time you spend writing/processing/following-up on the damn thing,. you've wasted enough of your time to not warrant the effort.

Not to mention how much stress they can cause. For $20 ... No thanks

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Got mine all set up (HIS). 18566 in 3dmark06 stock and after a mild(?) oc got up to 20333. Not too bad.

joutlaw

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2008
Originally posted by: arkcom
Got mine all set up (HIS). 18566 in 3dmark06 stock and after a mild(?) oc got up to 20333. Not too bad.

What are your system specs?

craftech

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

John

Luckily, I did the fine print on the MSI/ZZF $20 rebate for the 4830 and contacted ZZF to get a valid invoice. ZZF was extremely helpful and emailed me the invoice within minutes.

As of now, my MSI rebate was approved. Still a pain in the ass, though.

If ZZF knows that MSI beats people over the head to collect a lousy $20 if they bought from ZZF, then when ZZF promotes the rebate on their product page they should also include the "special acceptable official worthy authorized notarized pre-approved invoice" with the shipment otherwize they are just as bad as MSI for going along with it IMO.

John

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
yes...almost "annoyingly" cheap.

Anyone know whether the fact that you have to include the original UPC with the HIS rebate eliminates the ability to RMA the product? or claim warranty?

Waylay00

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Originally posted by: shadyshabby
The way I look at it, mail in rebates are hardly ever worth it.

With all the time you spend writing/processing/following-up on the damn thing,. you've wasted enough of your time to not warrant the effort.

Not to mention how much stress they can cause. For $20 ... No thanks

Agreed. Unless, it's an instant rebate, or a mail-in rebate over $100, I'm not too excited about them.

The0ne

Jan 3, 2006
But then when you don't get your $100 rebate it's a much bigger lost. The stress will still be there no matter the rebate amount. Just a matter of whether or not $20/$100 is worth your time to fight it out if there are problems after submission.

rnjeezy

Jul 7, 2009
Originally posted by: PJABBER
Thanks, Hmongkeysauce, you are right! There is a new $30 rebate available from MSI that makes this the price leader once again. ZZF has not posted it yet but Newegg has the PDF listed at their WWW site already.

MSI R4890-T2D1G-OC Radeon HD 4890

Let's do the math: Current ZZF price is $189.99 - $30 MSI mail in rebate (#MIR00457 valid for purchases July 1 - 31, 2009) - $30 eBillme rebate (for first time eBillme users, valid until July 15, 2009) - $4.45 Bing.com cash back = $125.54 net price.

If you are in the market for a 4890 I would actually wait until the July 4 weekend to see if ZZF will drop the price further, on top of the new rebate. Also, I expect one or more other manufacturers are likely to also offer a new rebate.

the price now seems at 200, it was 190 yesterday. Is there anything less than for less than 200 left?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Restating what has already been said above, but in all caps...

YOU MUST CALL OR EMAIL ZZF TO GET A "VALID" RECEIPT FOR THE MSI REBATE!!!

This call/email would also be a good time to ask for the games promised (but probably not sent...like mine).

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Just an update on the free games. I didn't receive Legendary with my card, so ZZF offered me Far Cry 2 or Splinter Cell. I picked FC2 -- it can't be any worse than Legendary, can it? :)

Stevem627

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2000
Well, props to ZZF -- they sent my copy of Legendary and Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Plus I love my new MSI card

skiz6151

Jan 6, 2007
I gave ZZF a call about the games, they told me it was a limited time thing so they would have to check if there were any games in stock. But later that day I received a email saying Rainbow 6 was in stock but not legendary so they offered H.A.W.X, Splinter cell, or Farcry 2. This was quite a easy call to do. Also I would like to thank the people who mentioned about the rebate needing a official invoice, otherwise I would have been pissed at MSI for such a stupid reason for denying a rebate.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
i got a msi 4850 2 months ago, still the rebate status shows "initial". it looks like a long fight to get a rebate from them. see what happens. I actually bought a few msi products in the past but never tried one with rebate. i hope they will pay out or I will be sending my case to the AG. speaking of, anyone know the business address of msi? I can't seem to find the headquater of the company.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Micro-Star Int'l Co., Ltd.
Address:No. 69, Li-De St., Jung-He City, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
Tel: +886-2-3234-5599 (REP)
Fax: +886-2-3234-5488 (REP)

North America Headquarters
901 Canada Court
City of Industry, CA 91748
Tel 626 913 0828
Fax 626 913 0818

"Micro-Star International Corporation, Ltd. (TSEC: MSI, 2377) is one of the IT industry's leading manufacturers of computer hardware products and solutions, including world's top five and Taiwan's top three motherboard manufacturer, Taiwan biggest and world's top five server manufacturer, and has been the leading graphic card manufacturer for the past four years. Today MSI is pressing forward with the development of new products, such as notebooks and consumer electronic products. The sales of MSI's MP3 product has been growing rapidly, making MSI one of the top MP3 product suppliers in Taiwan since 2004. Through world class engineering, manufacturing & design innovation, MSI is dedicated to providing leading-edge hardware products and robust solutions that are easy to implement and integrate while also enhancing overall performance, value and ultimately the individual end user's personal digital life experience. With annual worldwide sales of US $2.4 Billion in 2005, MSI ranks 26 in the Taiwan Top 1000 Companies for 2005. For more information and product details please visit www.msi.com.tw . "

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
Originally posted by: joutlaw
Originally posted by: arkcom

What are your system specs?

i7 at 3.8 ghz, ex58-UD3r, 6gb ddr3

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: PJABBER
Micro-Star Int'l Co., Ltd.
Address:No. 69, Li-De St., Jung-He City, Taipei Hsien, Taiwan
Tel: +886-2-3234-5599 (REP)
Fax: +886-2-3234-5488 (REP)

North America Headquarters
901 Canada Court
City of Industry, CA 91748
Tel 626 913 0828
Fax 626 913 0818

"Micro-Star International Corporation, Ltd. (TSEC: MSI, 2377) is one of the IT industry's leading manufacturers of computer hardware products and solutions, including world's top five and Taiwan's top three motherboard manufacturer, Taiwan biggest and world's top five server manufacturer, and has been the leading graphic card manufacturer for the past four years. Today MSI is pressing forward with the development of new products, such as notebooks and consumer electronic products. The sales of MSI's MP3 product has been growing rapidly, making MSI one of the top MP3 product suppliers in Taiwan since 2004. Through world class engineering, manufacturing & design innovation, MSI is dedicated to providing leading-edge hardware products and robust solutions that are easy to implement and integrate while also enhancing overall performance, value and ultimately the individual end user's personal digital life experience. With annual worldwide sales of US $2.4 Billion in 2005, MSI ranks 26 in the Taiwan Top 1000 Companies for 2005. For more information and product details please visit www.msi.com.tw . "

excellent, thanks! now I know where to find them!

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
Originally posted by: nyker96
i got a msi 4850 2 months ago, still the rebate status shows "initial". it looks like a long fight to get a rebate from them. see what happens. I actually bought a few msi products in the past but never tried one with rebate. i hope they will pay out or I will be sending my case to the AG. speaking of, anyone know the business address of msi? I can't seem to find the headquater of the company.

I submitted the $30 rebate for the GTX 260 in my sig in late March and got the check from MSI on 7/2. 3 months seems to be the typical wait for most people here in AT when dealing with MSI so you may have a couple weeks left still.

eno

Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by: nyker96

Well contact me if you decide to look into it further. I bought a card in May and submitted the rebate accurately on June 1st and it still shows "initial" under status.

http://www.breakitdownblog.com...ams-buyers-on-rebates/

I found this post as well and someone is going to start a class action against them. I might jump on if they don't pay out for this rebate. I have photo copies of the forms I filled out and really hope this does not turn into a hassle. I mean it's almost 2months now and still nothing. The other companies like OCZ, Gigabyte, Asus that I have purchased stuff from after the MSI rebate have already confirmed that they received it and processed.

I don't like to be a online complainer but this is starting to look like a poor rebate company.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Just an update on the card. It seems to have issues with the dell 2408WFP monitor (friend has one). The issue is that the monitor loses signal after awhile (a short flash, nothing displayed).

After some searching, I found this to be a persistant problem with the HD4890. I called MSI support and they said they'd know about it it was a problem (ya . . . right . . .).

Anyway, I flashed the card to the latest XFX HD4890 bios (they released a few updated bios, said it was a known problem) and it no longer flashes.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Absolution75
Just an update on the card. It seems to have issues with the dell 2408WFP monitor (friend has one). The issue is that the monitor loses signal after awhile (a short flash, nothing displayed).

After some searching, I found this to be a persistant problem with the HD4890. I called MSI support and they said they'd know about it it was a problem (ya . . . right . . .).

Anyway, I flashed the card to the latest XFX HD4890 bios (they released a few updated bios, said it was a known problem) and it no longer flashes.

I am seeing some instability as well but was wondering if it were an aspect of overclocking. Guess we need to look a bit more into this. Maybe on the Video Cards and Graphics forum?

I posted this on the VCG forum, let's see if anyone can help there -

4890 flash/fail - Bios fix?