MSI K7T Pro2a onboard sound problem

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
I am using the onboard sound on my Pro2a, and when I play games it locks up with a high pitched noise. It doesn't lockup everytime I play, and there is no noticable patern. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't. It usually locks up once or twice a day. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Stang

MSI K7T Pro2a
Duron 700
128MB Crucial PC133 CAS2
ASUS V7100 GeForce MX2 32MB
Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM ATA100
Linksys NIC

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I had the EXACT same problem, except I wasn't using onboard sound, I was using an SB Live!, with the onboard sound disabled. That was the second MSI K7T Pro2-A I went through, and I said hell with it. I ordered the Abit KT7-RAID last night. I don't care if the people on this forum think MSI is the best, I've never had a serious problem with Abit, and I've built 3 systems with the K7T Pro2-A and they've been nothing but problematic. I installed every patch known to man, in almost every order imaginable, installing Windows 98, ME, and 2000 numerous times. MS HotPatch Fixes, SP1, Security Patches, none of the above, BIOS AGP settings toned down, up, in the middle, 32MB AGP size, 128 - none work. BIOS flash? Same thing.

Good luck to you. I couldn't stop the damn board from freezing up in the middle of a game without the high pitched beep/whine.

G|T

rsboehner

Dec 12, 2000
I've had that exact same problems with the onboard sound, however I don't get any problems while gaming. I only encounter the scream/squeal when listening to mp3s.

PCComp

Dec 8, 2000
I'd suggest purchasing a new sound card. The integrated sound controller (VIA) is lousy. It's purpose is a cheap solution for OEM vendors. Any quality sound card (i.e. Sound Blaster Live!) will sound and work much better. You can use the BIOS controlls to disable it completely.

As for stability, my MSI is completely stable!!! I go for weeks without restarting the computer. I've yet to have a BSOD related to the motherboard...

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
rsboehner,
Were you able to fix the problem? If so, how? I think I am going to buy a SB Live Value, but it bothers me that the onboard sound doesn't work properly. I am about to build 3 more systems, and I would like to use the Pro2a, but I plan on using onboard sound on 2 of the 3. If anyone has found a fix for this problem, please let me know.
Thanks,
Stang

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
What options have you set in the BIOS for the Sound. The most common cause of problems, with integrated Audio and Sound Cards, is SB16 Emulation. SB 16 Emulation requires an IRQ (normally 5) and two DMA channels. One channel, normally 1 for 8-bit audio and a second channel, normally 5 for 16-bit audio. Since nothing but old games use SB 16 emulation, its best not to enable it.

rsboehner

Dec 12, 2000
No, I haven't found a solution to the squealing yet, and I think I had the problems before I enabled the SB Bios option, but I'll change it and see if that helps.

rsboehner

Dec 12, 2000
Stang289:

I just went to the BIOS and disabled the "onboard Legacy" and so far I haven't had any problems with sound since. Usually it only takes about 3-4 minutes of internet/mp3 playing to get that noise, but it's been nearly 20 and nothing has happened yet. Maybe that is the problem. Try it and see if it works for you.

NEVERMIND! Still having problems here...

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I had everything disabled having to do with Legacy/Onboard sound in the BIOS, and I still had problems. I checked ALL of the settings before I installed Windows 2000, and I of course, I didn't install the onboard sound drivers at all.

Weird, isn't it?

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
I have tried all combinations of BIOS settings. Legacy - enabled, SB - disabled, both enabled, and both disabled. Still does the same thing. I think it has to be something with the drivers. I installed the VIA legacy drivers from the CD that came with the mobo. I have looked for updated drivers online, but all of the ones online have an older date. I also have DirectX 8 installed.
Stang

DaddyG

Banned
Mar 24, 2000
Just remembered the memory hole trick, can't remember if you disable or enable memory hole, try flipping what ever setting your BIOS has.

ctucker

Jul 11, 2000
No problems here with onboard sound. I DID have problems with the SB Live! Value and mx300, and I gave up on them (still waiting for some solution on those.. I tried everything)

ChannelX

Dec 31, 2000
ctucker-

What problems did you have with the mx300? I'm not very happy with the onboard sound and games (have lots of audio stuttering/glitching on No One Lives Forever) so I was gonna put my mx300 back in the system.

AmbitV

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
damn I just setup a Pro2A system and have the exact same noise problem...after a few minutes of mp3 playing the high pitch squealing comes...I noticed that if I disable the wave device for the modem i can play for longer until the noise comes up...

illbot

Nov 29, 2000
i've had enough
I want MSI and Creative the two guilty parties to know they should address this issue and come up with a fix poste haste

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Guys I'm getting the same problem with my Abit KT7-RAID also. Looks like it's my Power Supply or RAM, or maybe just that my SB Live! Value doesn't want to work with the KT133 chipset. This isn't very good..

G|T

illbot

Nov 29, 2000
its bs dood, contact abit about it, i'de be interested to see what they say
i emailed msi and creative a week ago, no reply yet...but they are keeping something from us

ChannelX

Dec 31, 2000
Yes it must be a conspiracy. Other people have Live! Value cards working fine on their Pro2a or KT7 systems.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I didn't/don't have trouble with either the onboard sound or my Soundblaster Live Platinum. Try moving your PCI cards into different slots, I'll bet your nic and soundcard don't play nice together.

Geekish Thoughts, maybe you just keep doing the same thing wrong?:) I have noticed while most people have no problems with the pro2a, some have nothing but trouble...kinda strange.

illbot

Nov 29, 2000
heres my irqs, serial ports disabled, usb disabled, have tried switching slots, sb16emu disabled, got new nic, cheked ram, upeed vcore.
thers much more i'm forgeting to mention i'm sure...
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
4 (free)
5 Creative SB Live! series
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 (free)
10 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX