MSI K7T Pro2a onboard sound problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TGirl

Dec 5, 2000
Anyone get any final word on sound? Just got mine together with SB Live Value. NO Sound at all. I have both settings for onboard sound disabled. Not exactly sure what I'm doing as this is OEM (anandtech indiv) with no manual. This is my first home built system. Should I install software of SB Live and then install card and drivers? I'm confused. I put in the card and driver, when trying to install software that comes with it got an error saying I didn't have enough drive space to hold all the info? New 45G IBM, don't think so. I'm lost and clueless. HELP!

ChannelX

Dec 31, 2000
Asking an obvious question here but you did install the Via 4-in-1 drivers that came with the board right?

Az10sBum

Jan 18, 2001
I have a new MSI pro2a as well. Mine does not make a high piched noise -- It just locks up hard. The screen freezes, and neither ctrl-alt delete nor the power switch do anything. You have to press the reset button or unplug it. I happens most often when I am playing MP3s. I am pretty bummed that this problem is happening.

Az10sBum

Jan 18, 2001
I just read a reply to a post on the MSI newsgroup in DejaNews where a guy claimed that the sound problem went away when he replaced his 3COM 3C905B network card with an Intel network card. The person who received the post claimed to have tried the same thing and it worked for them too. I have the sound problem, and I have a 3COM 3C905C network card. I am going to look into this further, but if anyone tries removing their 3C905 network card to fix this problem, please post the results. Unfortunately, I have no other network card here right now, and I need to be connected.

illbot

Nov 29, 2000
i replaced my 3com with a new dlink, same probs, removing a network card altogether maby...
anyone know what input device is on the startup? same id as the multimedia(the livecard), but it says not found

AmbitV

Golden Member
Oct 20, 1999
i noticed i only get the noise when I play mp3s...I can play hours of games without any problems...just when I play mp3s it randomly turns into that high pitch noise and I gotta reboot...

zzzz

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2000
Can someone try to enable memory hole and see?
I had an epox MB(KX133 chipset) once and I couldn't get the onboard sound to work. After enabling the memory hole, I could.
Doesn't hurt to try...

Az10sBum

Jan 18, 2001
I enabled the memory hole. At first I thought the problem was solved. Ran about three hours of mp3s with no problem, then crashed. Tried again and went almost two and a half hours. Third time, I only went half an hour. At one point before enabling the hole, I was crashing every song, so this may have improved the situation. The test I run is to start the Win-ME media player, load a song, and select repeat. Since it freezes my computer when it crashes, I can see the sime of the crash on my screen when I come back later. Just curious -- what is the memory hole for? I thought it was some kind of graphics thing.

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
My system doesn't lock completely up, just the sound does. It is a high pitched noise and I have to reboot for it to stop.

jpprod

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Damn, I'm having the exact same problem! Only on my system SBLive causes BSODs in MP3s and movies while onchip sound seems to work perfectly.

On a side note, I had a MSI K7Tpro (rev 1.0) before this board and Live worked without a hitch.

RacerX

Oct 22, 1999
I have a K7T PRo2a and originally used an SB Live! then switched to onboard sound. It works fine for me, I actually think the sound is pretty good for onboard audio ...I don't really miss the Live! that much.
I am running Win2k and I have ACPI turned off. I will check the BIOS settings later, btw I have a generic NIC.

kRiLLiN47

Dec 21, 2000
I can't seem to figure out what else I need to do. I don't have my system in front of me right now but I've tried almost everything. I'm at the point to where I'm gonna start my system over, going one card at a time. I've seen that doing that will help sometimes to at least figure out what is giving you the problem. If anyone figures this out before tonight, let me know by a PM. Thanks

mp3phish

Dec 6, 2000
hi,

I have had similar problems, but no lockups or high pitched noises during games/mp3's...

what is happening to me is that i havetn gotten my system fully installed. i have installed win98SE, 4in1 drivers (had to deal with f_cking viagart.cat file already), got tnt2 working from Diamond with latest detenator drivers from nVidia's site. then i have a SMC etherpower2 NIC. when i disable the onboard sound, sometimes the system hangs on boot up. when i installed the Creative Labs pci128 sound card into any PCI slot, the system hangs during boot. i then have to boot to safe mode, and reboot into normal mode for the system to work again.

After removing my NIC (thats all the options i had left) i finally got the system to boot with the PCI sound card, (note, i tried 3 different sound cards, a pci 128, an ensoniq, and a sblive and none worked before). I havent tried disabling the onboard sound yet, but i'm expecting it to hang on boot if i do. (its a machine at work, trying to fix a customer's machine) Ill post tomorrow if i can get the system working properly with my solution.

if anybody knows any other tips please let me know.

on a side note: there are 2 different places to enable/disable onchip sound. in the CHIPSET FEATURES menu in BIOS, and also in the INTEGRATED PERIPHERIALS. make sure you have both of those DISABLED or ENABLED, or a combination of those when you post what your problem is, it might make troubleshooting easier.

thanks

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I still don't see where you tried removing your NIC, Do you have the same problem with your NIC card removed from your system.

Also everyone having trouble with their SBLive card,

Make SURE you have disabled your onboard sound in bios properly.

When you install your card, you MUST CANCEL when windows tries to install the driver, and install with the driver installation on the CD, or download from the web.

If you've done that and you are still having trouble, It is VERY LIKELY another PCI card is in conflict, more often than not it is your NIC card. Try uninstalling your NIC and SBLive and only reinstalling the SBLive. If all is well THEN install your NIC into a slot that doesn't conflict.

mindslash

Dec 19, 2000
I disabled my on-board sound even before installing Win 98. Then I installed a Guillemot SoundMuse (or whatever the thing is) and installed the OS. I have played games (2d/3d) and sound effects all out the wazoo, mp3's from dusk till dawn and no problems yet. The only reason I turn off my PC is that I have the two loudest fans in the world and I can hear them whirr from the next room! BTW, generic RAM too. It seems like only some people are experiencing audio nightmare. :confused:

BGod

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can see from my page what I've got running in my system.

1.) Installed all the components into Fong-Kai FK-320B w/ AMD approved 300W power supply. Have you guys that are having so much trouble bothered checking AMD's site for approved power supplies?
2.) Edited BIOS settings before installing OS. Turned off onboard sound, BIOS shadow, memory holes, set CAS & RAS to 2.
3.) Clean install of Windows 98SE from a partition on the hard drive. Nothing like never having to dig out the darn CD again when changing hardware.
4.) Installed monitor INF file.
5.) Installed VIA 4 in 1 driver, then rebooted. Make sure if you're running an Nvidia based card that you're NOT trying to install the video GART driver in Turbo mode. This will cause major troubles down the road.
6.) Installed Hercules video card driver, then rebooted.
7.) Installed DirectX 8, then rebooted.
8.) Installed Creative Labs LiveWare v3.0, then rebooted
9.) Installed Linksys LNE100 driver, extra protocols I needed, then rebooted.
10.) Finished by installing the distributed.net client and Unreal Tournament, the 4 bonus packs, the v4.36 patch and a few custom maps. Fragged my brains out for about 2 hours and was more than pleased with the way the system performed in UT (1152x864 32bit color).

My typical uptime is just over 4 days. The machine runs pPstats & pProxy for the RC5-64 contest, so it has to stay up as much as possible. pPstats is set up in Task Scheduler to run every half hour, so the machine does get a little work out besides playing UT.

I'm flashing the BIOS to v1.0B14 Special BIOS this weekend. I want to see if built-in 4-way memory interleave function & a wider range of Vcore selection will let me overclock this baby a bit.

Just so you know what slots I used:
PCI slot 2 - Linksys LNE100
PCI slot 3 - SB Live Platinum

illbot

Nov 29, 2000
whoa whoa whoa
whats allt his about not installing in turbo mode, isnt that just 4x agp as opposed to 2x?

Stang289

Oct 7, 2000
OK, I think I finally got my problem taken care of. I flashed to the 1.0 beta BIOS about a week ago and I haven't had the sound problem since.
Stang289

Jarhead

Oct 29, 1999
Hey, before there is another round of folks hosing their BIOS,
listen up.

Made a *DOS* boot disk, boot to *DOS*, and do your BIOS flash.

Anything short of this, you reap the rewards.

I know LiveBIOS works for some folks, but not all!

rsboehner

Dec 12, 2000
I have the onboard sound and I noticed that it only occurs when I am playing mp3s and when I am connected to the internet. Well I just went and checked my resource settings for my network card and the audio controller and lo and behold, they both have the same IRQ (11). What is the best way for me to assign the two of them separate IRQ numbers? My initial setup had my network card in another slot than the one it is in now and I had the same problems then. I don't know much about whether or not each PCI slot assigns a different IRQ number or what, so what are the options??

I just went into the device manager again after reading other people having their video cards sharing irq 11 also, and I discovered that I have my Promise66 controller card and my video card also on IRQ 11. I think if I could get my NIC off of #11 I would be fine. Suggestions?

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
"Installed VIA 4 in 1 driver, then rebooted. Make sure if you're running an Nvidia based card that you're NOT trying to install the video GART driver in Turbo mode. This will cause major troubles down the road."

you're kidding, right???

hey peeps, are you installing the SBLive drivers for ME/2k? Different drivers than the ones for 98/NT.

chows3

Feb 4, 2001
My computer hangs when I try to install drivers for the sound card - ALS4000. Everything is fine if I just leave the sound card plugged into the motherboard but skip installing the driver. I have installed 4.26 VIA drivers except bus mastering driver, and disabled the on board sound.

For the time being, I'm using the on board sound without any problems. I find it ridiculous that a lot of people cannot get a simple sound card to work on this motherboard. I'm interested to know if other motherboards using the KT133A chipset have the same problem.

MSI K7T Pro2A
Duron 750
ALS4000 sound card
Winfast 3D S325