Movies are SOOO expensive nowadays. WOW.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Hell, I stick a six pack of Bud and a couple of large bags of Beer Nuts in my wife's purse. She throws in whatever whe wants and we never buy anything in the theater. We are never stopped or asked what is in that large bag wifey carries. Nobody fvcks with my wife for more than 10 seconds!:Q

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Originally posted by: LeeTJ
I took my family to see Daddy Daycare today. 2 adults 2 kids and my 3rd kid gets in free. popcorn, drinks, movie tickets,
$80. OMFG. EIGHTY FVCKING BUCKS. What's up with that??

Anyone else things think it's wayy too expensive to go to the movies now?

hm that's insane... you must have gotten ripped. How much are adult tickets? $8 each? Kids? $4 each? So that should be $24... then popcorn and drinks... did each kid get their own large popcorn with large drink?

Are tickets still 8 elsewhere? In manhattan most places are $10 a movie and I still haven't seen anywhere with matinee prices.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
Are tickets still 8 elsewhere? In manhattan most places are $10 a movie and I still haven't seen
anywhere with matinee prices.

the movie theatres in the times square virgin megastore go for 6.50 or something there about, every day,
all viewing times.

the theatres suck though. they're located in the basement and the place down there is so depressing and
a little spooky. it doesn't seem they ever sell out a showing. the last time i went - months ago - it couldn't
have been been mopre 15% capacity. that was true of all the viewings that afternoon when i attended,
coming and going.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I took my family to see Daddy Daycare today. 2 adults 2 kids and my 3rd kid gets in free. popcorn, drinks, movie tickets,

you're down to 27.5 posts/day. you're slipping :p

and wtf r u doing spending so much time here on ATOT when u got a family?!?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I don't go the the movies any more. It's cheaper, sounds better and is more convenient in my living room.

sounds better?

waht type of setup do you have
Sony ES, PSB, BIC (rears), MTX sub (older one), 32" Hitachi Ultra Vision and a Toshiba DVD.
Of course, in that mix is an LD, cassette, turntable, VCR and Tivo.

hey, sometimes u need hidef image, and thats no dvd at all!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Dark4ng3l
The problem is the drinks/popcorn, they totaly rape you on food when you go to them movies, so why the hell do people still buy food at movies? this baffles me. :Q

that's why u sneak in the cans of coke in your backpack/wife's purse, etc

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Nobody fvcks with my wife for more than 10 seconds!:Q

darn, it takes me longer than that to get out the condom, open it, and put it on, or do u not count that time? :) ;) :eek: :Q :p

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
Originally posted by: JEDI

darn, it takes me longer than that to get out the condom, open it, and put it on, or do u not count that time? :) ;) :eek: :Q :p

When you decide to attack you'd better be ready to go. She can summon the wrath of God (or Satan) at will.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: JEDI

you're down to 27.5 posts/day. you're slipping :p

and wtf r u doing spending so much time here on ATOT when u got a family?!?

and why are you so concerned with how i spend my time??

Apr 5, 2000
Damn $80? Ouch. I usually try to hit the first show (bargain matinee) showing of the day (only Mon-Fri though) - only costs $3.75. Student tickets at night cost $5. WIthout it, it's like $7 a ticket. But I know what you mean by getting expensive. Yesterday I took my little sister to go see X2 - tickets + 2 waffle cones was damn near $18.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

I have the full cable movie channels package so I only go the theatre for movies that have to be seen on a large screen.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Tell me about it!

13 bucks (canadian) for my Matrix Reloaded ticket...granted it's a nice theater, but still. This one is $13 regular shows and something like 8 bucks for matinees and tuesdays.

The cheap theaters are around 7 bucks regular, 4 bucks matinee.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

I put on my robe and Wizard hat.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I simply refuse to go to any movie the isn't a matinee or that I have a coupon for. The theaters here sell ticket packs where you get 10 tickets for $55 bucks ($5.50 each for those math-impaired). But they they say certian movies are "Special" so then you can't use them.

I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. Probably Star Wars Ep 2. I will go see Matrix but only because I'm going in the afternoon so it's cheaper.

When I can buy the DVD for under $10 and watch it over and over, why pay $10 to see it once? Just because the screen is bigger? Whatever...