Movies are SOOO expensive nowadays. WOW.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Originally posted by: LeeTJ
I took my family to see Daddy Daycare today. 2 adults 2 kids and my 3rd kid gets in free. popcorn, drinks, movie tickets,
$80. OMFG. EIGHTY FVCKING BUCKS. What's up with that??

Anyone else things think it's wayy too expensive to go to the movies now?

hm that's insane... you must have gotten ripped. How much are adult tickets? $8 each? Kids? $4 each? So that should be $24... then popcorn and drinks... did each kid get their own large popcorn with large drink?

nah, adults is $8, kids are $6 = $28.00. Nachos Combo for me $8.50, Kids packs $5.00 each, Popcorn combo for wife $8.50.

then we went to McD's, $20.00

i just know that i took $100.00 out of the cash machine before and i ended up with $20.00

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I took my family to see Daddy Daycare today. 2 adults 2 kids and my 3rd kid gets in free. popcorn, drinks, movie tickets,

hm that's insane... you must have gotten ripped. How much are adult tickets? $8 each? Kids? $4 each? So that should be $24... then popcorn and drinks... did each kid get their own large popcorn with large drink?

nah, adults is $8, kids are $6 = $28.00. Nachos Combo for me $8.50, Kids packs $5.00 each, Popcorn combo for wife $8.50.

i just know that i took $100.00 out of the cash machine before and i ended up with $20.00

Ah, you included dinner... well that's why!

You definatly should sneak your own stuff into the theater.
F paying that much for soda pop and candy.

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
did you go to one of those fancy theaters? 80.00.. that's wild. I took myself and 4 kids (16yo boys, 19yo girls.. that probably doesn't even count as kids 'round here.. ok.. 5 people) to see holes the day it opened.. 4:30 show, soda for me, giant popcorn (free refills) for the masses, I don't remember exactly what it cost.. less than 35.00 though..

anno

Jan 31, 2002
Nachos Combo for me $8.50, Kids packs $5.00 each, Popcorn combo for wife $8.50.

Well, that was stupid of you. Why didn't you teach your kids the fine art of smuggling in candy and pop? :p

- M4H

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

So...it was only $60 for the 5 of you to see a movie and eat/drink at the theater. $12/person. A bit high but not outrageous. Just eat before you go the next time and sneek stuff in...everyone does.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
cost me $8.50 for a ticket here. $6.50 if you catch the early showings.
I never buy anything but the ticket. there is a 7-11 near by and ill buy my munchies there if I need to. The girl is the only one who gets popcorn.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I don't go the the movies any more. It's cheaper, sounds better and is more convenient in my living room.

sounds better?

waht type of setup do you have

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
When my friends go to the Mall to see a movie and we haven't eaten a meal in a while, we'll go by Subway and walk in. It's sad that a footlong Subway Meal is cheaper than a Popcorn and Drink in the theatres.
-- mrcodedude

LeeTJ

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Nachos Combo for me $8.50, Kids packs $5.00 each, Popcorn combo for wife $8.50.

Well, that was stupid of you. Why didn't you teach your kids the fine art of smuggling in candy and pop? :p

- M4H

my oldest is only 6, i'll teach him those things when he gets a bit older. :)

it's just crazy how expensive movies are. but it's not just me buying stuff at the theatre. there are lines of people.

actually today i got off cheap, a couple months ago, i took my family to see the movies at another theatre, it was a larger one, they had Pizza, cheese fries, all kinds of stuff and it just happened to be my kids dinner time, i musta spent over $100.00 that night. :(

usually i try not to buy that stuff in the theatre. i usually prepare, bring stuff to theatre (juice packs are GREAT to sneak in and the kids like them better than soda anyway). but i wasn't prepared today. :(

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
hit 7-11 before and smuggle in candy. for liquid refreshment, i usually stuff a 40oz or 32oz. into my girls purse (im ghetto, sue me) and take it to the back of the theatre. i get in using a student id (if your no longer a student, register at a local community college, pay for a student id ($5), drop the class and get a refund). thats how to make the movie expierence cheaper. yes, my friends and my girl are just as thrifty as me.

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: anxi80
hit 7-11 before and smuggle in candy. for liquid refreshment, i usually stuff a 40oz or 32oz. into my girls purse (im ghetto, sue me) and take it to the back of the theatre. i get in using a student id (if your no longer a student, register at a local community college, pay for a student id ($5), drop the class and get a refund). thats how to make the movie expierence cheaper. yes, my friends and my girl are just as thrifty as me.

very smart and sensible

Jan 31, 2002
my oldest is only 6, i'll teach him those things when he gets a bit older. :)

it's just crazy how expensive movies are. but it's not just me buying stuff at the theatre. there are lines of people.

actually today i got off cheap, a couple months ago, i took my family to see the movies at another theatre, it was a larger one, they had Pizza, cheese fries, all kinds of stuff and it just happened to be my kids dinner time, i musta spent over $100.00 that night. :(

usually i try not to buy that stuff in the theatre. i usually prepare, bring stuff to theatre (juice packs are GREAT to sneak in and the kids like them better than soda anyway). but i wasn't prepared today. :(

Ah, you're excused. They can't smuggle anything in yet, their pockets are too small. :D

- M4H

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Also, if you're a AAA member you might be able to purchase discounted movie tickets.

NokiaDude

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
My family ONLY goes to the movies for movies that have to have surround sound to experience. The new Star Wars episodes was one that we saw in theatre. DVD's offer much better quality and you can f'ing PAUSE the movie when you need to!!

Chrishuff1

Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2000
Just dont buy food. $5.50 with a college ID for me at any movie I want. IMAX is $7 with a college ID.

idNut

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Chrishuff1
Just dont buy food. $5.50 with a college ID for me at any movie I want. IMAX is $7 with a college ID.

Wise advice.

Leetman

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2002
Movies here are 9.25 per person over 12 after 5pm, and 6.50 before. Large drink = 4.00, popcorn = 5. And the 20 ounce bottled soda machines(usually a dollar) = 3.50.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Leetman
Movies here are 9.25 per person over 12 after 5pm, and 6.50 before. Large drink = 4.00, popcorn = 5. And the 20 ounce bottled soda machines(usually a dollar) = 3.50.
It's insane, I don't see how they can do that. It's amazing people go for it.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
I don't go the the movies any more. It's cheaper, sounds better and is more convenient in my living room.

sounds better?

waht type of setup do you have
Sony ES, PSB, BIC (rears), MTX sub (older one), 32" Hitachi Ultra Vision and a Toshiba DVD.
Of course, in that mix is an LD, cassette, turntable, VCR and Tivo.