Most tragic characters in games. (Feel bad for killing or not saving)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Palom and Porom
Final Fantasy IV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3IihnM-nk from the DS remake)

Elly & Kim, Lacan & Sophia, Krelian, hell just about everybody
in Xenogears.

Tons and tons and tons from 16 bit and 32 bit classics, just too tired to think right now.

Xenogears has to be about the most tragic literary thing I've ever experienced.

Last edited:

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
You don't have to kill her, that is the dark side choice if I remember right. You can redeem her.

You can also keep her alive if you go dark side. IIRC, she becomes your apprentice. Finalizing her corruption doesn't feel much better than killing her, though (imo).

I also convinced the wookie Zaalbar to kill Mission Vao in one dark side run-through. That felt... bad. Especially since it was completely unnecessary. I was just curious to see if it was possible.

No spoiler tags because the game is freakin' old.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
*sigh*

Giving up an event in a plot-heavy story driven game is different from telling someone that you have to kill Diablo at the end of Diablo.

A lot of people (like myself) want a completely fresh experience going in. Thinking of recent games I've completed, I wouldn't have enjoyed Metro 2033 or Singularity as much if someone had blabbed spoilers about them.

And KotOR is nowhere near dated enough that people aren't playing it for the first time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't know if someone's already said this becuase I haven't read all the thread for fear of spoilers!

But I'd go for Unreal 2 where
your motely crew of shipmates all perish
(didn't expect that myself).

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
And KotOR is nowhere near dated enough that people aren't playing it for the first time.

It was released in 2003, and has been on sale multiple times for around $5-10 I think. If someone hasn't played it by now, they should really wonder if they ever will.

How long should the moratorium on spoilers be? 10 years? You said "nowhere near dated enough," so I guess that's out. How about 15? 20?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Man, this thread is going to be a haven for spoilers.

In BG2, I say
yojimbo (or whatever that thief's name was)

The lead character in Soulbringer was a tragic hero. Still my favorite story ever in gaming.

In Mass Effect would you consider
Benezi
a tragic character?

to your BG2 char, the first playthrough i had him in my party. afterwards, never gain. that's how angry i was :D

Arg Clin

Oct 24, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins has some tragic characters. Not in the sense that they necessarily die, but in the sense that their fate is tragic.

Just to mention a few:

Alistair being made king against his will. I felt bad for having to do this, because he really just wanted to be a common guy and hated the idea. But the alternative - Anora - seemed like suicide. She was clearly not trustworthy in any way.

Loghain. Tragic because he did all the wrong things for all the right reasons and thus had to die.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
It was released in 2003, and has been on sale multiple times for around $5-10 I think. If someone hasn't played it by now, they should really wonder if they ever will.

How long should the moratorium on spoilers be? 10 years? You said "nowhere near dated enough," so I guess that's out. How about 15? 20?

Why do you ever feel the need to blab a spoiler?

If someone hasn't read Moby Dick, way be a dick and tell them how it ends? And that book is how old?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
In ME1:
In my play-through Ashley put a bullet in Wrex when he pulled a gun on me. I really didn't want it to go down that way, but it seemed just destined to happen. Tragic, because I fully understood Wrex point of view - just couldn't let it get in the way of the bigger picture.

I was able to talk Wrex down and save him..maybe I had different dialogue options?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Benezi
a tragic character?
I consider
Marina Sirtis
a shitty voice actress, but would smash.

The lead character in Soulbringer was a tragic hero.
That game was bundled with my copy of PlaneScape: Torment (best cRPG ever), might have to give it a go.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
That game was bundled with my copy of PlaneScape: Torment (best cRPG ever), might have to give it a go.

Soulbringer really left an impression on me. I actually have thought about replaying it over the years to go through the story again.

It's a pretty epic tale: Lots of interesting characters, tons of locations to explore and levels to gain. The combat system was pretty unique for it's time: You don't acually fight, you set up melee combinations that your character performs. There's a ton of combinations; I'm wondering how that holds up today (I think I played it in 2000 or 2001).

This isn't a bad review (except that the reviewer got the release date wrong):

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/soulbringer/Soulbringer.html

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
KotOR, I played light then tried to do dark, I couldn't deal with killing all my former allies.

Best part of the game was running through the Sith Academy and killing everyone.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Man, this thread is going to be a haven for spoilers.

In BG2, I say
yojimbo (or whatever that thief's name was)

The lead character in Soulbringer was a tragic hero. Still my favorite story ever in gaming.

Benezi
a tragic character?

Actually in Baldurs Gate 2 its entirely possible to legitimately kill most of your helpers through some sort of story event. Its also possible to save them all and have a kick ass team by the time you reach the Brain Sanctuary.
But
Yoshimo
has to die as part of the story, regardless of whether you make them an ally or not. If you ignore them most of the game they still pop up in
Spellhold
and has a few lines, then
dies

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
KotOR, I played light then tried to do dark, I couldn't deal with killing all my former allies.

Best part of the game was running through the Sith Academy and killing everyone.

Supposedly in both Kotor 1 and 2 if you play both a full game on light and one on dark, you get cool stuff to happen in your 3rd playthrough.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
ME2,
the whole Crew of the Normandy, except the Doctor died because I put off the rescue mission so long. Later in the same Mission Tali died in a Fire Fight.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Actually in Baldurs Gate 2 its entirely possible to legitimately kill most of your helpers through some sort of story event. Its also possible to save them all and have a kick ass team by the time you reach the Brain Sanctuary.
But
Yoshimo
has to die as part of the story, regardless of whether you make them an ally or not. If you ignore them most of the game they still pop up in
Spellhold
and has a few lines, then
dies

anomen with shield of balduran > beholders

now if you mean the mindflayers.... F me they were a PITA. except when i solo'd as a monk. i was so high a level that my MR was out of control and they simply couldnt touch me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Mindflayers could be made much easier with the greenstone amulet and careful spell selection, but you could normally only buff up one or two of your warriors properly. Best bet was to give them some instant death weapons like Vorpal and such.
I loved seeing undead mindflayers cuz that meant I could use Mace Of Disruption and Azure Edge.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Clyde the ghost from Pac-man.. he's so slow and helpless..

damn I need to go buy some flowers now