Most popular MMO these days

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Also, if you can find current GW2 numbers i'd be interested. I doubt it's too high concurrent usage. They made the game too solo centric...and too much like WoW...please don't tell me you're sipping the koolaid on that. That game was a WoW clone with WAR public quests and a really really bad story/voice acting.

Accordingly to Anet the concurrent number of users has been raising for the last few months after the launch decline.

In game is also noticeable the increase in population compared to a few months ago.

I don't see how GW2 is a WoW clone when GW2 combat is an action oriented combat, based on movement while WoW uses a static holy trinity style of play.

And GW2 actually has a physic engine, with collision detection for projectiles and particles, where you can actually avoid damage by hiding behind objects and avoid melee swings by moving away of the enemy weapon (and no more running to the mob, press the attack button, run away and still do damage)

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Nothing gets past the fact the game is boring as hell. It looks pretty, the main quest line is nice. But you literally beat the game to fast for any lasting value. Beating a MMO is not suppose to happen. If you can get to max level, max crafting skill in under 2 months the progression is to fast for lasting valve.

The "action" oriented combat is not any better than holy trinity style of play. Its repetitive like any other game.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Nothing gets past the fact the game is boring as hell. It looks pretty, the main quest line is nice. But you literally beat the game to fast for any lasting value. Beating a MMO is not suppose to happen. If you can get to max level, max crafting skill in under 2 months the progression is to fast for lasting valve.

The "action" oriented combat is not any better than holy trinity style of play. Its repetitive like any other game.

How did you beat a game that keeps getting content?

Are you decked in legendary weapons?

Are you so good that you beat tournaments or led your guild to conquer stonemyst castle?

Did you reach fractals 50?

Did you solo explorable dungeons?

Did you explore 100% of the map?

And FPS is aiming and left clicking. It still makes for interesting combat despite the repetition.

I prefer GW2 combat since it is much more mobile and chaotic since there is no way of controlling aggro.

Last edited:

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
thats not WoW or Guild Wars 2

Last MMO I enjoyed was Rift but the game got old fast because they didn't have much content. I think I got to max level in 3 months and did all the dungeons multiple times which got old.

Had a good guild but they all left also for pretty much the same reasons.

I've tried:
WoW
GW
GW2
Tera
SW:TOR
Age of Conan
EVE
Anarchy
DAoC
City of Heroes
CrimeCraft
FFXI
Warhammer Online
DDO
EQ2
Vanguard
Lineage 2
The Secret World
LOTRO

Several other crappy free 2 play games

I have played Aion, Warhammer, Age of Conan, WoW, Rift, Tera Online, Star Wars Old Republic, City of Heros, so far.

I was curious about Guild Wars, and Secret World. Forsaken World looks interesting too.

There is a new MMO that is coming out here soon Blade and Soul (Korean game in beta) http://us.bladeandsoul.com/en/

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
Hmm still bored, looking for something to get back into. I was one of the ones that rushed through GW2 way to fast and got bored have a lvl 74 Thief from the first week, so thinking maybe that, back to Rift only got to lvl 35ish, maybe Tera again, quit after a few weeks. A lot of the newer stuff just has not had the staying power for me. Rogue is 90 in WoW the first few days of expansion but if i go back i know i will end up raiding 4 days a week and trying to avoid that.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Hmm still bored, looking for something to get back into. I was one of the ones that rushed through GW2 way to fast and got bored have a lvl 74 Thief from the first week, so thinking maybe that, back to Rift only got to lvl 35ish, maybe Tera again, quit after a few weeks. A lot of the newer stuff just has not had the staying power for me. Rogue is 90 in WoW the first few days of expansion but if i go back i know i will end up raiding 4 days a week and trying to avoid that.

What are you looking for in a game, that you think might hold your interest for awhile? What are some of the issues from other games you have played that caused you to lose interest? Lack of content?

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
What are you looking for in a game, that you think might hold your interest for awhile? What are some of the issues from other games you have played that caused you to lose interest? Lack of content?

Guild Wars 2 was lack of end game, or something to do once max leveled that seemed to matter. I like raiding but was always more of a hardcore raider, and trying not to fall back into those days. So looking for a Fantasy based game that has something i can log in daily and do and feel like i am acomplishing something once max level.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
anyone mention champions online? similar to city of heroes but f2p.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I was looking at this youtube comparison between WoW and GW2. Very insteresting, and the guy doesn't bash either game just lays out the differences and similarities. I am seriously thinking about getting GW2 as it seems very different and challenging.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgz4wa9VN6k

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

Are you so good that you beat tournaments or led your guild to conquer stonemyst castle?

And FPS is aiming and left clicking. It still makes for interesting combat despite the repetition.

I prefer GW2 combat since it is much more mobile and chaotic since there is no way of controlling aggro.

gw2 was so fun to play, i absolutely loved the control scheme

i wish there were things to do in it though :'(
(i haven't touched it since maybe a month after release)

the PvP system is literally a joke, no arranged matches

the dungeons aren't challenging except in that you just find the fastest way to complete each one

exploring a map? i mean... lol

WvWvW is certainly a beast to conquer, but it essentially involves joining the largest most successful WvWvW guild you can find

not the game for me, even getting legendary weapons involves more grinding than anything, I look for a challenge with an organized group

i've never seen a game fall so far short of it's potential, guild wars 1 had better content lol (better in the context of what i look for in games)

Last edited:

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005

What for? It does nothing for you in the game. Its just a achievement that has adds no value. Most people don't do them.
Why the hell would someone do this? You don't need to do it.
more achievements?

Why since you don't need to in the game to level?

Is this a console game? Since when did achievements mean anything? never mind the "rewards" was levels behind what you would use.

The game was made like a single player game, you dont design a MMO with single players in mind. Nothing in the game changed anything else as you progressed, you did not have anything to work for. They wasted a good idea on boring repetitive stuff.

Danimal1209

Nov 9, 2011
another I remember is Priston Tale and I see that there is a sequel out

http://pt2.gamerkraft.com/

pt2 has been out for quite some time. Somewhere around two years or so. It is extremely boring IMO. I loved the original PT. I played from beta when the knight class and tier 2 just came out. Even when it was the old Ricarten(Ricalaten as people would say).

I'm still suggesting Dragon Nest. I log in each day and play for like two hours, accomplishing a lot in those two hours.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The only MMO I'm playing is DDO.

I'm a member of the "Armored Assassins Company" guild (lvl 56) and play the following toons:

Anaghan 17th lvl Paladin
Brushtusk 15th lvl Fighter
Chrysalia 7th lvl Ranger
Drasii 16th lvl Cleric
Ezerhaaden 15th lvl Wizard
Shrelana 9th lvl Rogue

Happy to play with any fellow Anandtech members of any guild. :)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I feel terrible for saying this but the only MMO that would ever topple World of Warcraft is a Pokemon MMO and sadly, Nintendo is either too stupid, too scared, or too incompetent to do it. If they made it for the Wii U, Nintendo would be printing so much money, they might as well start printing their own currency.

But it's never gonna happen. :':)':)'(

WOW has done Pokeman, they just call it Battle pets.. and wheni first saw it i cringed.. and damn.. I voewed to never go back to WOW, did, and I play battle pets more then anything else.. sad....game gods forgive me.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
There's a surge of players going to RIFT now that it's F2P. I'm really liking it so far. They do a lot of things right.

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
Ya I'm into Rift as well, I don't plan on spending a penny though, I hope that won't affect my play too much.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I think WOW is king of the MMOs :p But TERA is more popular now.

this is funny...

tera more popular then WOW.. :sneaky:

Guild wars 2 doesnt even come close to WOW.
Guild wars 2 probably has twice the subscribers as tera does on top.

The KING of MMO's is EVERQUEST. More so then WOW...
If you heard the nightmare stories of everquest and how it litterally destroyed a lot of lives... then yeah.. everquest takes cake.
After everquest, id say its WOW... then its probably EVE taking 3rd place every now and then...

gw2 was so fun to play, i absolutely loved the control scheme

its only fun until your at the end.
Then you run into stupid stupid stupid developer choices like dimished returns on a game where u need to grind.
Then it turns into lets see how pretty i can make my characters with colors which u need to collect, and legendary eq which requires u to grind in a game which penalizes you for grinding.

I got so fed up with the stupid mechanics of the game, im on haitus.
Lack of Holy Trinity leads to less coop.
Lack of Holy Trinity leads to more confusion in groups.
Lack of Holy Trinity in a MMO is well.... not a smart move....

And yes it was the grinding for the stupid legendary in a game which penalized me for grinding which burnt me out.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They almost have to have diminishing returns for grinding, because if they didn't, there wouldn't be any balance between the player who can put in many hours a day and the one who can play a few hours a week - and they need both for keeping the revenue of the game up. They have to give you some reward for more grinding, but not too much.

They almost have to design two games - one for the hardcore player, and another that still has fun but is available to the casual player to keep both happy.

On the holy trinity... I remember in the early days of EQ, when a new MMO came out, called 'Earth and Beyond'. I was shocked reading the package to find it consisted of spaceships you play, where each type of ship seemed to match the description of a class from EQ. Where was the innovation? I called it 'EQ in space'.

Of course, then every other MMO basically did the same thing.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I've been looking for a new one too, so far nothing has grabbed me since Aion.

TERA is worth trying. It's free, and the combat system is new and fresh and a real evolution in MMO gameplay. The rest of the game is a boring slog to the level cap with no real interesting pvp or guild competition though.

Age of Wushu has a lot of interesting ideas and a great setting. The lack of polish hurts and it's hard to understand the mechanics. Also free.

I think FFIV redux is out/comes out soon. I might try that one next. And considering how long I played Aion I'm going to check out Blade and Soul too once that one is released.

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
If i had another person say that action combat is new and fresh in the MMO space i'm going to go crazy. Like every MMO since rift that has launched has had some aspect of action combat, being dodging mechanics, or spamming buttons rather than having auto attack to build "mana" to spend (stupid, imo).

I feel like i'm taking crazy pills when it comes to GW2. I felt like it the entire time, after playing beta for a week i saw how oversimplified the game was, and i was immediately turned off. The voice acting was terrible, and the story was just as bad (i played a norn, btw for reference).

Pvp was uninteresting, and seemed to just involve spamming abilities once they got off cooldown, very light on strategy.

I never liked anything about that game. Even the graphics, which i always saw were lauded, were incredibly low resolution textures. I was really bothered by a lot of things in the game.

Honestly, i don't think there is going to be an MMO that's really up my alley until EQ Next launches. Might try Wildstar, and ESO, but i do not think they are the hardcore experience i am looking for.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Honestly, i don't think there is going to be an MMO that's really up my alley until EQ Next launches. Might try Wildstar, and ESO, but i do not think they are the hardcore experience i am looking for.

This ^^^