• Assassin's Creed Syndicate

• Mad Max

• GTA V

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Now that 2015 is gone, which game do you think was the most impressive open world game of 2015 from a technical standpoint? Open world games are perhaps the most difficult games to make, which is why technicalities are particularly important for these games.

I think most people will choose the Witcher 3, simply because it was such an awesome game with an amazing and focused storyline, yet it still had tremendous scope. CDPR really outdid themselves with that game I must say, and as far as enjoyment goes, it got my GotY award easily..

But for me, I don't know if I can say it was the most impressive open world game from a technical standpoint. One thing that bugged me about the Witcher 3, is the LoD. With the exception of vegetation and shadows, the Witcher 3 shares the exact same LoD settings with the consoles, and that to me is unacceptable.

Also the rain effects are last gen, SSR is terrible for small puddles, PBR is below average (leather, metal and wood are above average), and the general physics and destruction are fair I suppose, but the cloth physics is very good.

From the games that I have played, my nomination goes to Batman Arkham Knight. Despite an extremely rough start, Rocksteady has managed to patch the game up to a very acceptable level. After the last patch, the game now runs at constant 60 FPS on a single one of my GTX 980s at 1440p max settings with enhanced rain effects turned on. Interactive paper debris runs on my other GTX 980, whilst the rest of the gameworks effects are turned off.. Smoke effects look nice, but they consume too much VRAM..

But what impresses me the most about Batman Arkham Knight is the exceptional detail.. The City of Gotham is intricately detailed to an astounding degree, yet the draw distance is very long and most importantly, pop in is minimal to nonexistent and LoD changes occur so quickly and so far away from Batman as to be practically unnoticeable. This is in stark contrast to the Witcher 3 where LoD changes occur too slowly and too close, and are very noticeable..

Of course this comes at a cost. I have never seen a game consume as much RAM as Batman Arkham Knight. It topped out at 11GB of RAM of total system memory usage once, so if you remove Windows from that usage, then it's close to 10GB of usage by itself.

Most of the RAM is being used to cache data of course, which is sensible and good programming. I wish more games would do this, as great RAM utilization makes LoD changes and pop in far less noticeable..

Anyway, that's my take. Would be interesting to hear other people's votes for most impressive open world game of 2015 :D

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
mpasmuswur2k.png

MGS V and GTA V behind W3, followed by Fallout 4 and Dying Light.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
As I thought, the Witcher 3 would be in the lead. A good choice, but the lackluster LoD in the game does it in for me..

LoD management is one of those core technologies that can make or break the visuals of a game. And while it's not bad in the Witcher 3, it's far from great.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
As I thought, the Witcher 3 would be in the lead. A good choice, but the lackluster LoD in the game does it in for me..

LoD management is one of those core technologies that can make or break the visuals of a game. And while it's not bad in the Witcher 3, it's far from great.

It's better than the entire game looking like various shades of mud with flat textures (fallout 4).

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
It's better than the entire game looking like various shades of mud with flat textures (fallout 4).

Well there's no accounting for bad taste :D

Seriously though, Fallout 4's graphics leave much to be desired. But does this mean the game's engine has technical shortcomings? I'm not sure. Maybe the developers just don't put much stock in graphics effects..

One game that looks very impressive to me, although I haven't played it, is AC Syndicate. Looks like they made significant improvements to LoD for AC Syndicate, compared to AC Unity.. Ubisoft are one of the industry leaders in dense open world games.

The only thing stopping me from buying AC Syndicate, is that I realized that I have never finished ANY of the AC games, and I've played the original, AC IV and AC Unity..

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well there's no accounting for bad taste :D

Seriously though, Fallout 4's graphics leave much to be desired. But does this mean the game's engine has technical shortcomings? I'm not sure. Maybe the developers just don't put much stock in graphics effects..

One game that looks very impressive to me, although I haven't played it, is AC Syndicate. Looks like they made significant improvements to LoD for AC Syndicate, compared to AC Unity.. Ubisoft are one of the industry leaders in dense open world games.

The only thing stopping me from buying AC Syndicate, is that I realized that I have never finished ANY of the AC games, and I've played the original, AC IV and AC Unity..

I played all the Assassin's Creed games up to Unity and they changed the controls too much and the story is ruined completely that I cannot continue.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I would say Ark, but The Witcher 3 was also excellent.

I am amazed that there is no Ark thread in the games section. Maybe it is here, but I haven't seen it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Has been argued before but GTA 5 has a lot of empty space. Tons of buildings just there for looks, lots of empty desert etc.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
GTAV by far. Yes, lots of desert but the occupied parts are phenomenal. While I LOVED mad max, I feel it should not even be on this list. Talk about wasted land. Fallout 4 is also great but its a lot of the same shared textures and cookie cutter graphics.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Has been argued before but GTA 5 has a lot of empty space. Tons of buildings just there for looks, lots of empty desert etc.

Nah man it looks better than any other open world game and it isn't even close. With a range of assets and polish and detailed modeling that others can't hold a candle too.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Nah man it looks better than any other open world game and it isn't even close. With a range of assets and polish and detailed modeling that others can't hold a candle too.

Except 90% of buildings are unenterable and are there to mimic a city. Single player campaign sucked too.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
The Witcher 3 and its not really close.

Other contenders disqualified themselves from being my 2015 GOTY. Simultaneous launch on all platforms, none of the temp exclusivity BS. GTA V was done well once it eventually arrived on PC. Considering the disparity between CDPR & R* in terms of budget and size, it's truly impressive what they pulled off. GTA V did well in creating a seemingly "live" environment but IMO W3 did better with more attention to detail.

The BS I had to deal with playing online killed GTA V multiplayer for me. Not even going to address the DRM and micro transactions.W3 soundtrack was outstanding as well. I wasn't really disappointed with F04's visuals but the loading screens got me to dread opening doors. It didn't help that I encountered a game breaking bug that made drop the game roughly halfway through with 0 motivation to start over.

Unlike other studios, CDPR hasn't peaked yet. Studio keeps maturing in W1-3 progression, not just in terms of graphics but in every aspect of the game. It will be interesting to see what they'll reach with Cyberpunk 2077.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Except 90% of buildings are unenterable and are there to mimic a city.

It's how every open world game is that doesn't use loading screens on interiors. If GTA wanted to use loading screens they could have as many interiors as Fallout 4.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
It's how every open world game is that doesn't use loading screens on interiors. If GTA wanted to use loading screens they could have as many interiors as Fallout 4.
No. If you insist, you can count inaccessible buildings in each of the contender games but I can tell you right now that GTA V is topping the chart with filler content. It wasn't the worst offender on the list but considering the studio's size, experience and the budget, it should have thoroughly beaten all other contenders but it didn't. GTA V is a bestseller, no can argue that but in terms of PC, R* fell short. Watch GTA 6 launch get timed for the end of xbox one and PS4 generation, then get relaunched for PS5/xbox 2 with some temp console exclusivity and then finally come as a PC port. That sort of strategy alone should disqualify them being a contender for anything on the PC.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Very few developers polish their games with the same obsession that Rockstar does.. But GTA V is still a last gen game at it's heart, and nowhere is this more evident than when you look at the character models..

True current gen games like Batman Arkham Knight, or the Witcher 3 have much more detailed character models than GTA V.. Heck, even Watch Dogs has way more detailed characters than GTA V..

Feb 19, 2009
From a technical stand-point, it has to be GTA V with mods. Untouchable by far.

Fallout 4 doesn't belong on that list, it's ugly old-gen stuff and gimped by poor performance vs image quality.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Funny enough, only 2 of those games was sort of fun to play. Awesome thing, technology.