'Most GOP Leaders Have Been Compromised’ by Russia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I usually don't miss her. I missed that one. Wow.

Giuliani is fucked. I love it.
GOP has one life line left, impeach Trump themselves before january, incoming house is going to spam impeachment proceedings to the senate over over and over again, its gonna be ALL the news for the next two years, it will decimate the republican party to the point of no existence... I dont see they have a choice, unless, someone is holding like novichok over their heads...

Last edited:

skooma

Apr 13, 2006
It was obvious from the start that Trump colluded with Putin to lift sanctions.

Trump and his ilk aren't even hiding it! They flat out tell you how they're trying to destroy one aspect of of society to benefit Russia and his supporters cheer for him no matter what. It is a god damned cult.

I keep watching these thinking, 'this has to change some of the base's group think' yet I'm always disappointed. Their apparent hate and willful ignorance overrides any and all rational thinking.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Mueller has been actively stockpiling evidence since the day he started. Its all slowly leaking out but eventually will be a full trial.

And I will laugh like a fuckin gremlin when I see rednecks with mispelled signs outside the US courthouse whining about witch hunts.

The obsession with Russia is a source of constant bemusement. It is common knowledge that nearly all of our representatives are completely corrupted with billionaire money. They have been doing the bidding of the elites for decades now. Why can't liberals focus on this? Why can't they fight for raising taxes on the 1% and lower the wealth inequality to a tolerable level? Trump's tax cuts have raised wealth inequality to levels higher than the gilded age. We are now in unique territory in American history with a minority middle class and unprecedented wealth inequality and yet the Democrats obsess over Russia and identity politics. Can they think about the middle class for once? Does American workers matter anymore? Is there any political party that gives a fuck that we are living in an oligarchy?

Chris Hedges who has visited many failed states has noted the signs of a failing system in the United States -- specifically the opiate crisis, eviscerated manufacturing, the skyrocketing suicide rate and the rise of identity politics. These are ALL canaries in the coal mine. He is notable for pointing out that the rise of Trump is a symptom of the collapsing American empire rather than a cause. His contention is that populism ALWAYS arises when a system is failing. I was watching The Agenda with Steven Paiken and he had professor from Berkeley that echoed this sentiment. (Note, people should take a look at The Agenda as well as the Munk Debates, great stuff).

In my opinion, all of the problems in America today are a result of the elites LOOTING the lower classes and prosecuting an unremitting war on labor for forty years. They largely have won their war but it will be a Pyrrhic victory should America collapse as Hedges predicts it will within the next two decades. I don't agree with Hedges on everything but his diagnosis of the American oligarchy seems spot on.

Reactions: Mike64

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The obsession with Russia is a source of constant bemusement. It is common knowledge that nearly all of our representatives are completely corrupted with billionaire money. They have been doing the bidding of the elites for decades now. Why can't liberals focus on this? Why can't they fight for raising taxes on the 1% and lower the wealth inequality to a tolerable level? Trump's tax cuts have raised wealth inequality to levels higher than the gilded age. We are now in unique territory in American history with a minority middle class and unprecedented wealth inequality and yet the Democrats obsess over Russia and identity politics. Can they think about the middle class for once? Does American workers matter anymore? Is there any political party that gives a fuck that we are living in an oligarchy?

Chris Hedges who has visited many failed states has noted the signs of a failing system in the United States -- specifically the opiate crisis, eviscerated manufacturing, the skyrocketing suicide rate and the rise of identity politics. These are ALL canaries in the coal mine. He is notable for pointing out that the rise of Trump is a symptom of the collapsing American empire rather than a cause. His contention is that populism ALWAYS arises when a system is failing. I was watching The Agenda with Steven Paiken and he had professor from Berkeley that echoed this sentiment. (Note, people should take a look at The Agenda as well as the Munk Debates, great stuff).

In my opinion, all of the problems in America today are a result of the elites LOOTING the lower classes and prosecuting an unremitting war on labor for forty years. They largely have won their war but it will be a Pyrrhic victory should America collapse as Hedges predicts it will within the next two decades. I don't agree with Hedges on everything but his diagnosis of the American oligarchy seems spot on.
It's cute that you think the Democrats haven't been trying to fight this for decades.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

You are arguing to fix a broken arm while your leg has been ripped off. First things first.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Giuliani is fucked. I love it.
GOP has one life line left, impeach Trump themselves before january, incoming house is going to spam impeachment proceedings to the senate over over and over again, its gonna be ALL the news for the next two years, it will decimate the republican party to the point of no existence... I dont see they have a choice, unless, someone is holding like novichok over their heads...

It's actually much better tactically for the House dems to wait until the final Mueller report before starting impeachment proceedings. Best to have all the grounds included rather than just what we already publicly know about. It will be more persuasive and look less partisan. Also, it may carry the proceedings into late 2019 or early 2020 where it will have a bigger impact on the election.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
It's actually much better tactically for the House dems to wait until the final Mueller report before starting impeachment proceedings. Best to have all the grounds included rather than just what we already publicly know about. It will be more persuasive and look less partisan. Also, it may carry the proceedings into late 2019 or early 2020 where it will have a bigger impact on the election.
I disagree, if you are going to change the minds that needs changing, you need a massive PR offensive. Massive.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I disagree, if you are going to change the minds that needs changing, you need a massive PR offensive. Massive.

Yes, a massive PR offensive, when impeachment proceedings actually begin. But pursuing them immediately after getting into office, on grounds which are incomplete at best, looks more partisan than legit. The dems should be mindful of what happened to the reps when they impeached Clinton. His approvals went up, not down, because the bulk of the American public thought it was petty partisanship.

If you're going to impeach Trump, get all your ducks lined up first, then do it when it will have maximum electoral impact. That is not February, 2019. When the Senate repugs vote against it, they'll have too many arguments in his defense. Doing it with solid evidence of multiple felonies will make them look much worse when they don't go along with it.

Reactions: dank69
Mar 11, 2004
Yes, a massive PR offensive, when impeachment proceedings actually begin. But pursuing them immediately after getting into office, on grounds which are incomplete at best, looks more partisan than legit. The dems should be mindful of what happened to the reps when they impeached Clinton. His approvals went up, not down, because the bulk of the American public thought it was petty partisanship.

If you're going to impeach Trump, get all your ducks lined up first, then do it when it will have maximum electoral impact. That is not February, 2019. When the Senate repugs vote against it, they'll have too many arguments in his defense. Doing it with solid evidence of multiple felonies will make them look much worse when they don't go along with it.

Its a very different America from that time so I wouldn't bank on that. In fact, the most consistent anti-Democrat sentiment from people that aren't conservative or die, is that the Dems aren't doing enough to hold these assholes accountable. There's enough solid reasons that have nothing to do with Russia that they should be raising for questioning his fitness for that office.

At minimum, they should say "we are waiting for the special counsel's investigation and findings before we consider what action to take on the issue of Russian and other foreign entities' collusion with Turmp" but also say that they will make the findings public and "any attempt to obstruct, or obfuscate the investigation and its findings by Turmp or on his behalf will be considered an impeachable offense". Make it clear that option is very much in their minds. Certainly there's plenty of other issues to investigate. Hell, there's plenty of non-Turmp people to investigate, and I hope they make it clear that just because these people stepped down, does not mean they won't have to answer for their actions.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Yes, a massive PR offensive, when impeachment proceedings actually begin. But pursuing them immediately after getting into office, on grounds which are incomplete at best, looks more partisan than legit.

If the majority of the country thinks that, it's fucking pathetic.

He has a string of crimes on Twitter alone. Many people have been charged for a lot less when it comes to obstruction/witness tampering. He needed to go since Day 1. Madison would have thought so.

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/01-11-02-0097

MASON: “Now, I conceive that the President ought not to have the power of pardoning because he may frequently pardon crimes which were advised by himself,” Mason said. “If he has the power of granting pardons before indictment, or conviction, may he not stop inquiry and prevent detection?”

MADISON: "There is one security in this case to which gentlemen may not have adverted: If the president be connected in any suspicious manner with any persons, and there be grounds to believe he will shelter himself; the house of representatives can impeach him: They can remove him if found guilty: They can suspend him when suspected, and the power will devolve on the vice-president: Should he be suspected also, he may likewise be suspended till he be impeached and removed, and the legislature may make a temporary appointment. This is a great security.… "

The dems should be mindful of what happened to the reps when they impeached Clinton. His approvals went up, not down, because the bulk of the American public thought it was petty partisanship.

Not even remotely comparable.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I mean... If he has any actual evidence of this stuff he should be taking it to Mueller, not trying to use it to sell his book.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
If the majority of the country thinks that, it's fucking pathetic.

He has a string of crimes on Twitter alone. Many people have been charged for a lot less when it comes to obstruction/witness tampering. He needed to go since Day 1. Madison would have thought so.

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Madison/01-11-02-0097

MASON: “Now, I conceive that the President ought not to have the power of pardoning because he may frequently pardon crimes which were advised by himself,” Mason said. “If he has the power of granting pardons before indictment, or conviction, may he not stop inquiry and prevent detection?”

MADISON: "There is one security in this case to which gentlemen may not have adverted: If the president be connected in any suspicious manner with any persons, and there be grounds to believe he will shelter himself; the house of representatives can impeach him: They can remove him if found guilty: They can suspend him when suspected, and the power will devolve on the vice-president: Should he be suspected also, he may likewise be suspended till he be impeached and removed, and the legislature may make a temporary appointment. This is a great security.… "

Not even remotely comparable.
I have serious doubts about Congress' ability to bring impeachment to the logical conclusion of removing Trump from office. Here's the most likely scenario--the House waits for final Mueller report and their own public subpoenas and Judiciary hearings to conclude. My guess is sometime mid- to late-2019. At that point, House votes to impeach, and then impeachment goes to the Senate for execution. Meanwhile, Trump and his staunchest allies rail against the "political witch hunt" and slander these reps the same way they did FBI, the intelligence community, etc.

Once impeachment goes to the Senate, McConnell and Pence do everything in their power to stop it going through. Mitch will form an "impeachment trial committee" that will review the evidence and call witnesses behind closed doors, twiddle their thumbs, and avoid dragging a public impeachment trial into an election year at all costs. Bottom-line, impeachment will never come to the full Senate for a vote before the next presidential election. Trump will likely not seek reelection on advice of the GOP establishment, and would likely have primary challengers anyway. If Pence can keep his hands clean of all the Russia stuff, obstruction stuff and GOP campaign finance violations stuff, then he'll probably emerge as an early front-runner vowing to continue "Trump's radical agenda" without Trump. If Republicans somehow manage a win (Electoral College + voter suppression) I'm sure Trump will quickly be diagnosed with some medical ailment and he (along with family?) will be pardoned for any crimes committed for medical mercy reasons.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I don't find this the least bit funny

You don't get it. What he found funny, was how a serious, educated ADULT can be so NAIVE and GULLIBLE as to believe, that Russia could influence anything in America, the strongest, country in the world, with best spies and counter spying agencies.

Quit watching so much CNN. There was NO Russian meddling. Trump and his associates have NO ties to Russia, there was NO "annexation" of Crimea(these people voted democratically to join Russia), and NO Russia shoot-down of the Malaysian plane(it was done by Ukraine). Cold war is over.. Just.. Move... On.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You don't get it. What he found funny, was how a serious, educated ADULT can be so NAIVE and GULLIBLE as to believe, that Russia could influence anything in America, the strongest, country in the world, with best spies and counter spying agencies.

Quit watching so much CNN. There was NO Russian meddling. Trump and his associates have NO ties to Russia, there was NO "annexation" of Crimea(these people voted democratically to join Russia), and NO Russia shoot-down of the Malaysian plane(it was done by Ukraine). Cold war is over.. Just.. Move... On.

wow. Which farm are you typing from, currently?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

Pyat rublei for you!

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Absolutely. Dems need to lead off with their domestic agenda early 2019. Avoid GOP talking point Dema are all about impeachment.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Less CNN and more RT I imagine?
Take pause and contemplate the massive conspiracy this would have to be? Every singular European countrys intelligence apparatus is coming to the same conclusions that Russia is on a massive propaganda offensive, trying to incite unrest, funding nationalists agendas and trying to break up unions.
The same conclusion the US IA's has come to.
Are they all in cahoots together with the singular motive to paint Russia as the bad guy?
Dude, you cant use these two words together : "Russia" and "Election". Unless you are telling a joke of course. No annexation. Please.

Mar 11, 2004
I have serious doubts about Congress' ability to bring impeachment to the logical conclusion of removing Trump from office. Here's the most likely scenario--the House waits for final Mueller report and their own public subpoenas and Judiciary hearings to conclude. My guess is sometime mid- to late-2019. At that point, House votes to impeach, and then impeachment goes to the Senate for execution. Meanwhile, Trump and his staunchest allies rail against the "political witch hunt" and slander these reps the same way they did FBI, the intelligence community, etc.

Once impeachment goes to the Senate, McConnell and Pence do everything in their power to stop it going through. Mitch will form an "impeachment trial committee" that will review the evidence and call witnesses behind closed doors, twiddle their thumbs, and avoid dragging a public impeachment trial into an election year at all costs. Bottom-line, impeachment will never come to the full Senate for a vote before the next presidential election. Trump will likely not seek reelection on advice of the GOP establishment, and would likely have primary challengers anyway. If Pence can keep his hands clean of all the Russia stuff, obstruction stuff and GOP campaign finance violations stuff, then he'll probably emerge as an early front-runner vowing to continue "Trump's radical agenda" without Trump. If Republicans somehow manage a win (Electoral College + voter suppression) I'm sure Trump will quickly be diagnosed with some medical ailment and he (along with family?) will be pardoned for any crimes committed for medical mercy reasons.

Absolutely they'll do everything possible to not let impeachment proceed in the Senate.

I disagree on most of the second paragraph. The Rubs are tied to Turmp. You think he's going to listen to them telling him to step down and not run again? Literally the only way he can keep from facing consequences for this shit is to still be the sitting President, as that way he can pardon these others, obstruct, and push things into a legal crisis (or worse). The moment he leaves office, all that protection goes out the window, and on top of that it means he has no way of getting out of facing the heat on all this other stuff. He can't count on Pence or the Rubs to pardon him, especially when its States looking at prosecuting him. Plus, 100% guarantee that if things are so bad that Rubs are pushing Turmp out, they'll turn on him to try and save face and make him the scapegoat, which I don't know that they can do without it blowing up in their face, so I think they have to keep sucking up to him.

Turmp will kick the shit out of any other Rubs that run against him. He owns their asses in that forum, and they'd have to do something unprecedented to dump his ass that way (they'd be much more likely to impeach him and try to make him take the fall for everything), which will piss off the base costing the Rubs far more. The only way they can dump Turmp is if they basically go "we had no other option" and that's via impeachment over criminal behavior. And I think they're not keen on that because I think many of them will be implicated in it with him, so he's the only option they have for holding America hostage over it. They basically need Turmp to take himself out as they can't touch him because he has too much of the goods on them and too much of their political clout (he hijacked the modern Rubs base). Turmp can't leave office, and I don't think he can run off to Russia (as Putin would probably have more to gain from Turmp going back to face the music where it'll create chaos).

Nov 25, 2013
Parody?