Most Frustrating games ever

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
Lord of the Rings, Conquest comes to mind. I finally quit the game because I hated the punishing checkpoint save system that made you play an entire level over no matter how close you were to the end when you died.

Feb 6, 2007
Personally, any game where I have to rely on actual human teammates in multiplayer has the potential to be hugely frustrating (Counter-Strike, TF2, Battlefield games, etc.). You KNOW what needs to be done, but you can't make your teammates do it, and that's fucking obnoxious. That's not a limitation of a game engine, it's just that humans have so much more potential to find ways to be annoying than some code that someone's slapped together.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
i had a very hard time killing Ram the final boss in Gears of War-1. I kept thinking that there obviously must be some strategy to kill him so kept searching for it. After a million tries, got irritated and pumped a couple dozen bullets into him. Cutscene and he dies. What a waste.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Ok, so I give X3 another try..... and it didn't change my opinion.

I spent five fricking minutes trying to read the messages I was getting. I remember it wasn't that hard when I first played it (I think there was an envelope icon), but the interface is different now. I went through every menu and pressed every key; still couldn't figure it out.

And why, WHY, did they change the keyboard scheme from X2? That makes zero sense. WHY make Z/X accel/decel instead of keeping it A/Z? I know I can change it, but that requires changing a crapload of other keys as well.

I don't have time for this game. grrrrrrr

I'm frustrated.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
I don't know why I didn't think of this one:

Dwarf Fortress. I wanted to like it, I really did, but the interface is just an exercise in masochism.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Left 4 Dead's Versus mode (note, I like the game in single-player, or exclusively with friends on-line, otherwise it's too frustrating, or rather was, I don't play it anymore).

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I have never beaten Castlevania or Ghosts and Goblins after all these years. I kept dying at Frankenstein in Castlevania, and I don't think I ever even got through the first level of Ghosts and Goblins.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
EDIT: and pretty much any early dungeon crawl that required graph paper and had a timed light supply... tedious when mapping, infuriating when you find out that your one row or one column off...

See, for me, I love the more complex dungeons. In recent years Skyrim, KoA:R, Fallout 3 (and NV), just to name a few, the whole linear single path through the dungeons seem so artificial and inconsistent. Give me side tunnels and multiple ways through the dungeon every time.

For me, amongst the most frustrating include some of the later Xwing missions. There was this one where you had to do a flyby of transports so that you could "Scan and identify" the proper transport. Only if you took any time at all scanning them, they escaped and then you lost the mission. You had to basically know which freighter had the cargo and focus on that or you lost. And most of the missions beyond that point were all of a similar design. You had to know what was expected and execute it EXACTLY and immediately as intended or have to do it over again.

Second on my list is Everquest. I played it for a year until I realized that the entire game was designed around slowing you down from advancing and making you sit and wait for EVERYTHING. Wait for spell power. Wait for healing. Wait for monsters to spawn. Wait for the "Special" drop. Wait for team members. Wait for the area you wanted to 'Farm' to be free. Wait, wait, wait...... Just plain frustrating.

Also DA2. this game was frustrating from the aspect that they took out any and all tactics and replaced them with bosses that had Bajillions of hitpoints and Uber attacks, and they added unreasonable cool downs on things like healing and potions. Ok, it was also frustrating from the perspective that it crapped all over the series, but that was a separate issue.

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Any flying mission in the GTA series. Pile of broken $10 keyboards over there ---->

Agreed, i gave up on that game due to the poor controls on those copters.

Also COD MW1 when i got to the carnival area with the ferris wheel, I spend two hours before i could get the copter to come without killing me. very frustrating but my friends did not have the same issue.

Last edited:

pukemon

Jun 16, 2000
I'd go with most of the old Sierra Adventure Games with the parser, when you got stuck where had no freaking clue what to type. But at least there were countless creative ways you could die in those games.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'd go with most of the old Sierra Adventure Games with the parser, when you got stuck where had no freaking clue what to type. But at least there were countless creative ways you could die in those games.

Or the old games of that type where you could make the game unbeatable early on, but not find out until many, many hours later 0.o

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I have never beaten Castlevania or Ghosts and Goblins after all these years. I kept dying at Frankenstein in Castlevania, and I don't think I ever even got through the first level of Ghosts and Goblins.

The free form games like Castlevania 2 and well, pretty much all the others were a lot better. You could wander around collect goodies to make bosses easier.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The free form games like Castlevania 2 and well, pretty much all the others were a lot better. You could wander around collect goodies to make bosses easier.

Castlevania 2 was one of my favorite games when it came out. I know I played through it at least 3 times, and probably more. I had a kick at the end where I tried to beat all the NES games I owned. Of the tough games, I did manage to beat Mike Tysons Punchout, but never Castlevania or Ghosts and Goblins.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Castlevania 2 was one of my favorite games when it came out. I know I played through it at least 3 times, and probably more. I had a kick at the end where I tried to beat all the NES games I owned. Of the tough games, I did manage to beat Mike Tysons Punchout, but never Castlevania or Ghosts and Goblins.

I remember the elation I felt after beating both Ninja Gaiden and Tysons Punchout in one weekend (borrowed them from some friends). They didn't believe me, so I had to play through them both again for them. Those were some tough games, but they didn't hold a candle to Castlevania and Ghosts and Goblins. I never beat those either. I always got stuck on the Reaper in Castlevania.

I think I've mentioned this before in previous threads, but Super Ghouls and Ghosts really pissed me off. I thought I had FINALLY beat it, and it tells me I need some chalice hidden somewhere in the game and put me at the very beginning again. I burned that cartridge at that point. Almost punched my TV I was so furious.

Aug 11, 2008

Also COD MW1 when i got to the carnival area with the ferris wheel, I spend two hours before i could get the copter to come without killing me. very frustrating but my friends did not have the same issue.

I remember that COD MW1 mission as being hard also. I also find frustrating the missions where you have to chase someone and catch them before they get away. In particular, I thought the end of MW3 where you had to catch Makarov before he got away was probably more difficult than the ferris wheel level you are talking about.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I recently beat Assassin's Creed and that game had its frustrating moments. The biggest problem was the small point jumping mechanics. Normally, missing a point wouldn't kill you, until you went to the bay in Acre, which landing in the water meant instant death. I died numerous times to Altaïr jumping to the left of the next pole that was definitely in range.

Before that, I actually made it to the lighthouse (viewpoint) and killed the guards... but I accidentally stepped off and died. Apparently swimming lessons are not part of being a master assassin!

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Out of this World for the SNES

588548_40325.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)

For those who played it, it had a gripping opening scene where a sports car speeds to a lab...and then you're taken to another world.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004

Funny thing is, I did that level fine so many times on the PC version, but when I tried doing it on the Xbox version I failed miserably.

And the most frustrating moment I can remember has to be "Sniper Town" in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Bulletstorm,when you try and play it for the first time when you install it and games for windows live demands updates and all kinds of stuff and despite them all being installed,you go thru hoops and get no where till you pull your pube hairs out.

The best part i fell for GTA4 as well,prune with the same bs issues cause of yours truely,gfwl....i tossed GTA4 in the trash 5 hours after purchase and i almost slammed Bulletstorm into the microwave and youtubed it.

F*** gfwl,i rather eat out the rotten a**h*le of a road kill skunk and down it with beer,then play another one of their crappy ass console port pieces of s**t.

dascoyne

Mar 31, 2012
Onechanbara (yeah, I played it for the T&A, so what?) ... motorcycle stage ... controls made no sense.

+2 to Myst.

Any FPS game on a console. Keyboard and mouse are more natural.

Last edited:

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Apparently swimming lessons are not part of being a master assassin!

the same shit with Tommy Vercetti, he cud learn how to fly, do weird stunts, chase enemies in motorboats and even learn how to plant and detonate bombs using mini choppers. Alas, getting pushed in the deep end of the pool would mean instant death.

And the most frustrating moment I can remember has to be "Sniper Town" in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Was that frustrating? i actually loved that mission. just a cross check though - isnt that the one in which you have to proceed while taking out snipers on the roof A-la-Saving Private Ryan??