Most Frustrating games ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Shadow of the Beast.

Quake and StarCraft indeed. Some kids don't even know they're born! :)

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
The 7th Guest's microscope puzzle. I never ended up beating it without going to the library.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Tried QWOP and managed to beat it by using only the Q and W key. The hardest part was going over the hurdle in the 50m mark

there is a hurdle at the 50m mark???? then i dont think i'm even gonna attempt it again. My highest score is 17.5m and still boast to my friends about the same.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
there is a hurdle at the 50m mark???? then i dont think i'm even gonna attempt it again. My highest score is 17.5m and still boast to my friends about the same.

Yes there is but you can topple it to its side although you still need to go over its legs.

WTF was that??? :O

That was a board game made by the angry video game nerd with his friends when he was a kid

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/03/26/board-james-deadly-danger-dungeon/

someone then recreated it into a flash game

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Recently? Shogun 2.

Sudden, random crashes + having to wait ~3 minutes for the game to start up is incredibly frustrating.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
For me it's Battlefield 2

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Manage to take 5 steps to towards a doorway* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Rage Quit*

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Its been a long time since I have been stuck on a PC game. Although the most recent BF3 patch has gotten me seriously pissed off at the game. I want to shoot whom ever decided "Lets take a game that everybody knows how to play, and change every single thing about it."

But where I really had a LOT of frustration was back in the late 80-90's on NES/SNES, and N64/PS as well. There are some games that were just horrible. See AVGN for examples :)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The 7th Guest's microscope puzzle. I never ended up beating it without going to the library.

I did eventually beat that puzzle, and ultimately the game without having to use the Library. I would actually love to use an "HD" remake of this game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Rage Quit*

Thats not so much the game as the community.
Ditto star craft 2.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Sword of the Berserker on DC. I dont think I ever made it past the giant Bat/Golem creature thing.

Plenty of DoomII MP/ Quake moments

LOL gets very frustrating at times.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Spawn* *Boom* *Dead*

*Rage Quit*

Sounds like someone trolled the shit out of you by replacing the disc with a copy of MW2.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
Not PC, but Project Gotham Racing on original Xbox drove me crazy but I always came back for more.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I guess being "frustrating" can manifest itself in different ways.

I've started Icewind Dale 2 at least 3 or 4 times, and my will to play on just dies out every time. It frustrates me because I want to see the ID saga through, but I can't get myself to continue.

The NWN and NWN 2 original campaigns were like that for me as well. By the time I had hit a certain point in both games I just could not make myself keep going.

Some games are fine until you hit a frustrating point - HL 2 ep 2 was like that for me. I tried for an entire evening to solve the whole sequence with the walkers and mines giving up in disgust and never going back. It wasn't worth my time. I wanted to finish the single player campaign in Star Craft, but that last mission is so much fracking harder that the rest that I've never completed it. I guess they were trying to prepare you for mulitplayer, but for someone like me who had no interest in multiplayer it's just frustrating.

I think that defines "frustrating" the best for me - a game that moves along at an even keel before throwing something completely out of character at you. It's been a long time since I played it, but I remember the stupid "puzzles" in Tomb Raider: Legend being that way, and I never finished that game either.

Games that don't give you enough to go on despite having great potential are frustrating as well. I tried to get in X3 several times, and I'm sure it's a great game. But there's no foothold to help me get settled. In X2 you had a tutorial, and some very basic missions interspersed with cutscenes that helped you get a start. X3 needed some of that.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

QWOP is trivial. You can reach arbitrary distances with patience. You just hold down W and tap Q to pull yourself forward. Even the hurdle is easy because you just push it along and eventually slide over it. It's not fast, but the game has no timer. As long as you don't go very fast (by holding q too long, or tapping it too often), you can go as far as you like.

Last edited:

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
n_0.png

Lost many many hours to that game and some of the later levels I probably put hundreds of attempts on. Lovingly, of course.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
QWOP is trivial. You can reach arbitrary distances with patience. You just hold down W and tap Q to pull yourself forward. Even the hurdle is easy because you just push it along and eventually slide over it. It's not fast, but the game has no timer. As long as you don't go very fast (by holding q too long, or tapping it too often), you can go as far as you like.

I had way more fun (and laughs) trying to actually beat it the way they "intended", rather than try to exploit my way through. :p

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yes there is but you can topple it to its side although you still need to go over its legs.

That was a board game made by the angry video game nerd with his friends when he was a kid

http://cinemassacre.com/2010/03/26/board-james-deadly-danger-dungeon/

someone then recreated it into a flash game

that is hilarious. my buddies and I in ~6th grade would map out ridiculously impossible platformer levels.

I saw these maps realized after watching videos of super meat boy (still haven't played it)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Recently? Shogun 2.

Sudden, random crashes + having to wait ~3 minutes for the game to start up is incredibly frustrating.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Don't even bother with the multiplayer, it's so fucked up it makes the single player look like a well oiled machine.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I had way more fun (and laughs) trying to actually beat it the way they "intended", rather than try to exploit my way through. :p

But any difficulty is self-inflicted. If you found what you were doing frustrating, you could just do less flailing about and more methodical moving.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Typical tf2 game:

spawn, run outside safe room, backstab
respawn delay,,,
respawn delay,,,
respawn delay,,,
respawn delay,,,