Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
just as the title say.

what is the most cpu intensive game?

wanna say starcraft2.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This is a hard question. Things like SC2, Skyrim, Crysis1 all need huge single-threaded performance because they're not very well optimized for multicore, particularly beyond 2 cores showing much less gain than better optimized titles. So one could say you need the absolute best CPU you can find for high IPC + high clock speed to get a good experience. At the same time, one could also argue that something like BF3 64P MP uses more CPU resources in a more efficient manner (lots more going on to be honest), and that requires the best of all worlds, high IPC + high clock + lots of cores.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Flight Simulator X with a MD 11 PMDG add-on plane and add-on scenery.

Shouldn't BF3 be optimized for multi core support? After all it's a new game.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Flight Simulator X with a MD 11 PMDG add-on plane and add-on scenery.

Shouldn't BF3 be optimized for multi core support? After all it's a new game.

It is. Doesn't mean it doesn't use them all.

Of what I'm playing now, my current nod would go to Planetside 2.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
BF3 is definitely optimized for multi-core but actually uses it. I certainly can notice the bottleneck with my Q9450.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
In warcraft 3, I could fill the screen with footmen until the fps dropped to <1. If you didnt kill all the footmen at that point, the game would become totally unresponsive.

UaVaj

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2012
In warcraft 3, I could fill the screen with footmen until the fps dropped to <1. If you didnt kill all the footmen at that point, the game would become totally unresponsive.

lol.

perhap MMORPG is the winner.

both: the unit count of RTS and the graphical viewpoint of FPS.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
I think the common consensus would be where there are many characters animated at the same time. RTS, MMOs, racing games, fps in that order I would think..

Lex Luger

Oct 11, 2011
Battlefield 3
GTA IV
Assassins Creed 3
Shogun 2
LA Noire
Lost Planet 2
Batman Arkham City
Skyrim

Its hard to top Battlefield 3 64man though. Even Bad Company 2 32man used more than any other game.

Lots of games max out 2 cores, but only Battlefield seems to max out 4 cores.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
GTA IV and other really badly ported console games are certainly on the list.

Any decent & well written PC game is really not all that CPU intensive unless you go WAY outside it's "normal" boundaries (like the Warcraft III footman example).

You really don't need an insanely powerful CPU for BF3 multiplayer to have a very low percentage of frames lagging in response. You just need 4 cores. Other games like War 3 or Shogun 2 can be "overloaded" with units, but this is generally venturing outside of the intentions of the developer.

For keeping FPS high enough that there isn't a perception of individual frames it really doesn't take a killer CPU and there really hasn't in my recollection since the invention of the seperate 3D GPU. GPU has always been a much larger factor.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
There are many CPU limited games but most of those are just poorly optimized games that only use two threads.

hokies83

Oct 3, 2010
Only Game that bottlenecks my Cpu from allowing 120fps is Borderlands 2.. so im going to go with that.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Shogun 2 if you play against several armies. Slow motion...reeeeally slow motion :D
It's so slow that entire animations are skipped.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Mostly due to the fact that their multi-threading is rubbish, but if you want playable frame rates in large battles you better be prepared to get an i7 to 5Ghz.
Yeah Planetside 2 is very badly optimized and it looks pretty "meh" for that kind of hardware requirement.