Most cases are big waste of space

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Wow, it turned into a riot from last time I checked in.

Zap: I think I'm gonna follow your advice on the GPU choice. Seeing some 6770 on sale recently. Right price indeed, but so far no passive cooled one yet.

Anyway, as of today, all the cards are stacked. :)
Last parts arrived today.

Gonna build it this weekend.
I'll take some shots while at it, in case anyone is considering the TJ08 case.
I'll take some comparison shots again GD04 and old trusty Lian-Li PC60 as well.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Unboxed the case tonight.
I was expecting something similar to the Silverstone GD04 that I'm currently using for my HTPC. Its quality is almost on-par with Lian-Li's.

The TJ08-E quality is quite BAD.
The steel is flimsy. Probably going to rattle like a tin can. The whole case flexes badly. The drive covers are only held by a screw on each side, pretty much wiggle/tilt when the dog sneezes (Silverstone: how much do you save from skimping a couple of screws?? Ever see LL's snap-on auto-aligning drive covers?). Alignments of panels are off at some places. Front cover aluminum-look like surface scratches easily.

And it's not that much smaller, compared to regular ATX mid-tower case. They wasted too much space with the removeable mobo tray and all the gimmicky drive & PSU holders.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Bigpow, I think it exploded because people take alternate viewpoints as an attack on them.

I am nearing the end of a HAF X, monster LGA2011 for home. The second I am finished with that, I am going to start my next two builds. A SG05-Llano m-ITX portable gaming rig that I can throw a one slot card into in a year or two as the Llano graphics falls way behind. The other will be a Array R2 mini WHS1 storage server.

There are reasons for a full size computer. I think there is a habit of looking at today and today only when making purchases. Nothing wrong in that, there is a lot of evidence that shows that really you don't want to forward look to much because you never do what you originally planned or thought about, or that your better off with cheaper steadier replacements then investing a lot and stringing it out over the years.

But what it means is that specially on secondary or single task machines. There is so little reason to go big. Who wants a huge tower taking up tons of space, just sending files around, or sitting next to their awesome TV looking all big and ugly.

I don't think that the Tower market is dying because of little cases. I think the growth in smaller cases has more to do technology now allowing people to get smaller on items they already wanted to get smaller.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I just want a case with JUST room for a full size mainboard, power supply, 8-10 IO slots, and front panel USB 3.0 / eSATA ports. Something that can run 4 way SLI and large CPU cooler if desired, but wastes no space on obsolete 5.25 and 3.5 bays. And above all does not have tumors and other glowing cancerous growths jutting in and out of every surface otherwise known as a "gaming" case /facepalm

Can't seem to get that without also getting 15 x 5.25 bays and 30 x 3.5 internal bays along for the ride. I will never use another 5.25 or 3.5 device again, it's all just dead space that case vendors like to add to pad their specs with bigger numbers (more drive bays).

Give me like a Antec P280 or Fractal Define but chop the size in half by removing all the empty space in the front due to the obsolete drive bays. I can screw my SSDs flat up and down along the back of the front panel, I don't need drive bays. Actually Fractal pisses me off, no excuse whatsoever for only 7 slots in a full tower and then sneaking in my search as having 8+ because they added that stupid useless "slot" on the side!

Hmmm wonder how many others share my needs.... /looks for a CAD program.

Really growing tired of this trend in cases (and affecting other PC parts now like RAM sticks and mainboard heatsinks shaped like guns even WTF) What ever happened to clean and subtle? Must everything look like a melted pile of neon alien skulls with rotating blinking crap sticking out everywhere, windows, florescent lights and LEDs, and being loaded with more 3.5" bays than an entire 19" rack? I see the ADHD Fast and the Furious + Halo "moar blue LEDs!!1!" generation has influenced the technology sector now as well...

In case my point didn't get across still: LAY OFF THE 5.25" / 3.5" BAYS ALREADY! We didn't use very many of them when HDDs and optical media were relevant, we certainly don't care about them now!

Last edited:

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I'm almost certainly building my next comp in a SG08 case or equivalent. Small, but enough for mid-to-high range gaming components.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
OP if you saw my case you would not think it's wasting that much space. My HSF comes all the way flush with the side of my case it's so big, plus it's wide with two 140mm fans.

If I had SLI my case would be quite full. Even now it's pretty full. Same goes for a lot of hard drives.

There are still uses for big computers but I will agree that they are a dying breed. Laptops and tablets are taking over.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
this statement is simply not true, the added space means the average air temp will be lower, it's not wasted, just not used for the purpose of containing stuff. A big case is always the way to go if you got components that gives off lots heat.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Almost finished; just waiting for 6850 and ZR2740w.

Re-used my 12-yo Lian-Li PC-60 for this build.
Gave it a proper cleaning and finished it with Klasse All-in-One wax.

Can't believe how good LL quality really is and how well it handles years of abuse;
Still as straight as day 1.
Anodized surface still looks very good (except a few nicks on some spots where I had banged it against the desk/floor).

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
this statement is simply not true, the added space means the average air temp will be lower, it's not wasted, just not used for the purpose of containing stuff. A big case is always the way to go if you got components that gives off lots heat.
There is such a thing as cool enough. If you can stick a Geforce 680 into a SG0x series case, and the airflow keeps the card well within appropriate operating temps, why would a big case be the way to go?

Tencntraze

Aug 7, 2006
I think that a "waste of space" only really applies if you're using a case that is much larger than what you need to adequately manage heat. If you stick a card in a smaller case and all temps are good with good airflow, there is no problem. I think that many people don't equate "within operating temps" with "cool enough", however. Running your cards at 90C 24/7 may well be within the technical operating spec, but it's definitely not a great idea and will wear on the life of your components in the long term.

Stayfr0sty

Mar 5, 2012
My case has a docking station for HDDs,main reason I got it. I can simply put infected clients HDDs into it for disinfection. I dont think it wastes space at all in facts its pretty well designed and I got it for a nice price.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I definitely like the idea of small cases, but I've never regretting buying a big case.

What type of case you get really sort of depends on what your priorities are. For me, I want decent air cooling for some OCing with not a lot of noise. This pretty much necessitates that I need room for a tower type cpu cooler and preferably fans larger than 120mm. For my purposes the SilverStone RV02-E was a no brainer. Once I get around to replacing the stock 120mm fan up top with a GentleTyphoon to match my cpu fans this thing will be close to silent, and the air cooling is actually quite a bit better than just 'decent'.

To someone who wants a LAN box, it's probably too big. It's also probably too big and just all around wrong for most HTPCs. It's also not a particularly good choice for water cooling, although some have done it. I think you get the idea, different cases for different needs. No right or wrong here.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I fully expect to use it at LAN parties. Next big one I'm going to is AWOL LAN though I'll probably use it at small basement LANs and at home as my garage computer before then.

Nice. That looks like a good time. If only I had an excuse like that... :hmm:

Logistically, what type of building do that have that in? My LAN hosting has been through some growing pains...

Specifically, needing:

Power
Internet (Steam)
Tables & Chairs
Freedom for food (ie, not required to use the site food service)

This combination seems to be harder than anticipated to find...

haha, yeah, and I don't think I could charge my audience what they are charging for that LAN. Maybe I would be surprised though...

Sorry for the OT, OP.

I respectfully disagree unless you need power in a tiny package for portability (ala Zap). A Mac Mini or similar has your name all over it :)

The problem I have usually had is that my case is too small, so that when I get a big card or want to consider water cooling, I am hosed. Haha :p

Plus, I have gigantor hands and like to actually be able to work in the case. Places for cables is a plus too...

Last edited:

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
blckgrffn: No offense taken. Not unless you're suggesting that I should play in the kiddie pool with the mac mini. :)

Give me a mac mini that can do lightroom duty as good as this build and I'll take it in a heartbeat. I might as well build a mini-ITX i5 box if that's the case.

Not today. Perhaps in 5-7 years time frame, as its performance goes up (and my expectation/demand goes down).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
blckgrffn: No offense taken. Not unless you're suggesting that I should play in the kiddie pool with the mac mini. :)

Give me a mac mini that can do lightroom duty as good as this build and I'll take it in a heartbeat. I might as well build a mini-ITX i5 box if that's the case.

Not today. Perhaps in 5-7 years time frame, as its performance goes up (and my expectation/demand goes down).

Oh no! They are freaking little works of art. I wish that a "PC" manufacturer would step up to the plate and put an ultrabook into a similar chassis, just enough larger to get that next step up in performance.

To get to that size, though, it really needs to be a "integrated" build, the likes of which really aren't available to us...

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Actually as long as you only need 1 expansion card (GPU) an ITX build isn't a bad idea.

Even Micro ATX can have some pretty small solutions, and Asus has been selling 1366 and 2011 mobo's for those builds. Newegg can be sorted by form factors. Take a look at the growing ITX and Micro ATX selections. You can build some pretty kick ass systems, as long as you don't mind integrating as much as possible.

I have been looking at a mobile A8 SG05 gaming box for about $450, that I can add 1 slotter video card in a year or two from now, that could do quite a lot of regular work and still be able to play games. I could go all out and go with a Sg08 or something, and get a pretty decent 2600k 7950 z68 system built up. Would almost triple the cost but only add another 10% to the size of the computer.

Also look at cases like the FT03 and RV03. For every HAF X, Cosmos II, 800D sold there are probly 3 912, 400Rs, 690IIA, and so on, and maybe just a little bit less SG's and other ITX cases as the big guys. Most cases that are a "waste of space" are that way because people desire them. People who get them for a feature set you just can't get on the smaller cases, for their flexibility, for its easy of use.

If I get a 912, a SG05, or ay other build specific case. I am getting it because its small, easy to move, and fits that particular system and components. I bought my HAF X, because not only was this getting sizable components. I wanted to make sure it supported intermediate updates (unlimited HDD's, extra burner, and any unforeseen expansion cards). I also buy for my main system a larger case so that I can use it for at least 1 more from the ground up build. My Antec 1040 had a Thunderbird and Palomino transition in it. My current system in a Antec P160, has had a Athlon64 X2 and Phenom X4 setup in it. My HAF X will have a 2011, and in 3-5 years will probably get another system built up into it. But since I bought the Antec 1040B, I have purchased about a dozen smaller cases including a shuttle system. All but my sonata has gone to someone else, as the replacement for that job wouldn't work, or its specific task was retired.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Took some pics before "this post is useless without pics" comment ;)
Enjoy!
(please don't say they're big waste of space.. LOL )

here is the other end of your spectrum... the ie.. big waste of space? :wub:

That entire box is my pc:
IMG_0853.jpg

It spans a total of 36 inches tall, by 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep.

It has 3 independant liquid cooling loops, which holds roughly 3/4 gallon of distilled liquid coolant on 4 radiators with 6 pumps. :whiste:

Oh and this is how i mounted my SSD's:
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The intels are in raid0, the c300 is my gaming drive.

Last edited:

Stayfr0sty

Mar 5, 2012
here is the other end of your spectrum... the ie.. big waste of space? :wub:

That entire box is my pc:
IMG_0853.jpg

It spans a total of 36 inches tall, by 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep.

It has 3 independant liquid cooling loops, which holds roughly 3/4 gallon of distilled liquid coolant on 4 radiators with 6 pumps. :whiste:

Oh and this is how i mounted my SSD's:
IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The intels are in raid0, the c300 is my gaming drive.

Err since when do SSDs like RAID? Last I heard they didnt play well.
Looks like you invested on that rig, your not using onboard RAID controller are you? To truly take advantage of RAID an add on hardware expansion RAID card is the best way.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Err since when do SSDs like RAID? Last I heard they didnt play well.
Looks like you invested on that rig, your not using onboard RAID controller are you? To truly take advantage of RAID an add on hardware expansion RAID card is the best way.

Don't know what model those are, but if they are SLC then it might work better in raid.

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
Aigo: in your case, the space is not wasted. That's a beauty!
I'm talking about big cases with Nothing in them. Like a P280 with mATX H67 w/o GPU.

Weasel: I might do just that. I'll start researching for Asus mini ITX Z68 (or Z77 soon). I know Lian Li makes great mini ITX cases (I wish they make mATX as nice as those boxes)

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Aigo: in your case, the space is not wasted. That's a beauty!
I'm talking about big cases with Nothing in them. Like a P280 with mATX H67 w/o GPU.

Weasel: I might do just that. I'll start researching for Asus mini ITX Z68 (or Z77 soon). I know Lian Li makes great mini ITX cases (I wish they make mATX as nice as those boxes)

My only problem with the Lian Li ITX cases is I think they make them to tall. I like the short with depth type of mini computer. Like the old shuttles.

Edit:
I take that back. This is Marvelous.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112348

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
My only problem with the Lian Li ITX cases is I think they make them to tall. I like the short with depth type of mini computer. Like the old shuttles.

Edit:
I take that back. This is Marvelous.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112348

Its basically a Q08 with a handle. The main glaring thing they did I dont like is that they removed the top fan. Better to get a Q08 and put a handle on it. Just my opinion though.