Most addictive game you have ever played...

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Half Life by far! and some of the mods for it. Played it in the dorms the first two years then the university apartments for the last two years with about a dozen friends on the university LAN for countless hours while we should be studying ;) So much fun. I miss those days

hudster

Aug 28, 2000
hmm, well, let's start at the beginning...PONG.

And then countless arcade games, and then dozens of games on my Intellivision, and some more arcade games (I don't know HOW many hundreds/thousands of dollars I "invested" in John Elway's Team Quarterback alone!), and then countless games on my C64 (Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, Lode Runner, Pool of Radiance), and some more arcade games, and then Madden Football and Populous on the NES or SuperNES back in college in early 90's (man, we played Populous for hours on end!), and more arcade games, and then I got my first "IBM-compatible" PC in '94, and then Solitaire, and...

...and then Doom just blew everything the freak out of the water...wow...

and then there were all the rest of ID's games, and let's not forget the original Command&Conquer (holy crap was I addicted to that until I finished it!), and who knows what else over the past decade or so...

...and last year, I played nothing but Jedi Knight multiplayer for like 6 months straight (I still have never even tried out the single-player mode on that game!)...

...there, I think that brings things up to the present...oh, well, wait, my loving wife just got me an Xbox for Christmas, so I guess this story of countless addictions is "to be continued..."

(basically, there's no one single game out of my 25-year gaming history that I could label as "most" addictive...there's just too many)

Ben

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unreal Tournament.

Still play every day.

I'm addicted. I admit it.

Atlantean

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
I would say tetris is one of the most addictive, as well Halo, and Unreal Tournament (oh and Championship is as well becoming very addictive)

src

Sep 4, 2000
Another vote for subspace, absorbed many hours a day for three years

Also: Starflight II if anyone has heard of it, awesome game

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I played WAY too much Diablo in college. I played a lot of Diablo 2 as well, but it's a lot easier to skip class than it is to skip work. :)
Heck, back when Doom came out I remember downloading tons of .wad files off of AOL :eek: and playing them after school all the time.

Console-wise, Goldeneye's multiplayer mode was HIGHLY addictive - we used to play with pistols only in "007 Mode" (one-shot kills) for hours. The Super Mario Bros. series has also sucked up a lot of my time - I remember staying up all night with a friend to beat SMB3 when it came out, and Super Mario 64 is still possibly the best platformer I've played. FF7 and the Zelda series are two more that have eaten up a lot of hours.

Vienge

Dec 26, 2002
Originally posted by: ssanches
Roadrash.. I loved to beat up the cops ;)

I loved that game. I always used to play it with Metallica's Black Album cranked on the stereo...fun stuff.

But my most addictive game has to be Morrowind, just sucked me in and didn't let me go for a month...second most would be a little-known Genesis game called Warsong, I could play that without getting bored for days straight.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
I wonder if Sims Online will end up on this thread at some point....

Looked kind of boring to me.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Maetryx

Played the beta. It stunk.

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Scouzer
Originally posted by: Maetryx

Played the beta. It stunk.
But this game is endorsed by celebrities! Like Chris klein!! How can you deny the boyish, non-threatening good looks of Chris Klein. Sigh Chris Klien:D

;)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I'm gonna split this into a good and bad most addictive.

The most addictive good game for me has been Quake1. I don't play it every day or maybe not even every month, but it resides year after year on my hard drive. It is continually being worked on by a community that refuses to go away and will always be a fond memory as far as video games go. I can actually retrace every computer I've had based on Quake1.

The most addictive bad game for me would have to be Everquest. In and of itself it is not a bad game. But it slowly eats up your time and destroys a lot of things in real life. If your good at Everquest, it is likely you are ignoring something that should be done in real life (job, wife, self, house, etc). Since quitting, I've come to the conclusion that games based on time invested are entirely wrong by design.

I liked seeing Moria and Angband mentioned :). While I don't think they are the most addictive games I've ever played, they are definitely very fun classics.

ssanches

Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Vienge
Originally posted by: ssanches
Roadrash.. I loved to beat up the cops ;)

I loved that game. I always used to play it with Metallica's Black Album cranked on the stereo...fun stuff.

I actually mastered the art of beating cops and stealing their clubs! :D While I've played many games that allow you to outrun cops, shoot them dead, etc, I absolutely love roadrash because it's real fun and there's no blood in the game, although you beat others and steal opponents and cops' weapons! It's the funniest game I've played! And the soundtrack puts you in the mood to do some thrashing :D

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
During high school, it was all about the zergling rushes and the reaver drops. Now, it's all about the pump shotty and the scout action. For those who play, go on this server and play me: House of Gods, 198.247.231.13. Get ready to be rocked by [BofG] ;)