Most addictive game you have ever played...

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Tetris

Viper GTS

one more for the all mighty CS. look at my sig

tetris is what i tell CSer's to play when they keep whining how much they hate CS and so and so but keeps playing

then i say: if you're so bored go play tetris or something!

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
Subspace aka Continuum. It was like the only game I could play on dial up. I played it for many years (4+) and for many many hours (500+ :(). To this day I occasionally go back and play it :)

Justorq

Aug 2, 2001
Well ... it's funny how no one said somethin about Zelda !!!!!!
That my friends is the most addictive console game i've ever played ... well that and C&C Red Alert for PC

Corsairpro

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Deus Ex, civ2 Starcraft... many many dozens of hours blown on these

Now, my current drug of choice is BF1942

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Tribes1 then Tribes 2. I have 127 days and a few hours logged with T2. (3050 hrs or so)

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Originally posted by: Maetryx
Moria and it's descendant, Angband. It's been a freeware development for over 15 years. I started palying it in 1989. I've never solved it. It's a "graphical" dungeon, using ASCII characters to represent yourself (@), monsters (A = ant, y=yeek, j=jelly, o=orc...), townspeople (t).... etc.
Sounds like a DOS game called Moria. I've had this game for many years and transferred it from PC to PC as I've upgraded. The EXE compile date is an ancient 11/21/1991.

It *is* Moria, thus the first phrase in my quoted paragraph above is "Moria and it's descendant, Angband...." But Moria isn't a DOS game, per se. It is multiplatform. I played it initially on a DEC VAX/VMS system at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. If you like Moria, you'll love Angband. Graphically, it is almost identical.

BUT it has:
Autohaggle at the shops
Targeting monsters that are not at one of the 8 cardinal directions (N E W S NE NW SW SE) from you
Keep old target by default
Consantly centers the map on your character
Ego items like Defender, Holy Avenger and Westernesse weapons
Artifacts like the Phial of Galadriel, and Glamdring(sp? Gandalf's sword)
COLOR!!!! Blue yeeks are blue! Icky Green Potions of Slime Mold Juice are green! etc.
Level feelings, i.e. after going down the stairs, "You have a SPECIAL feeling about this level" or "What a boring level.." let's you know if there is something good, great, or unique on the dungeon level

Probably a lot more that I'm so used to that I don't even think about it anymore.

I think a list of games that I have avoided so that I wouldn't get addicted to them might be shorter than documenting my game addictions starting with every typically addictive game since 1990 or so. I purposefully avoided all collectible card games (Magic, Pokemon, The Seven Seas) and I haven't touched a MMORPG since I MUDded back in the early 90s.

asdren

Apr 17, 2001
I messed up in a Physics II exam b/c of Diablo II.
Now that I look back it was probably just a procrastinating addiction.

jonjelinek

Nov 28, 2002
Been out of the gaming scene for awhile but off the top of my head my favorite game would be this MUD I played for almost nine years. MUDing is old school online roleplaying, its all text based and uses telnet to connect you to the "mud server" so you can level up all sorts of classes and races to then kill everyone else. Very addictive, better than the new graphical MMORPGs because it uses written descriptions for everything which allows the mind to dream up the world. I highly suggest everyone stay away from muds as they are extremely addictive, but if I cannot stop you check out mudconnect.com they have a database with thousands of muds of all types there. Have fun. Oh yeah and for console games one of my favorites was Final Fantasy Tactics, that game just rocked.