Moron fired after wearing t-shirt with traitor flag and a noose to the polls.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I have a neighbor who moved here from California and was a general contractor, now retired, who liked to brag about his old company. One of the things he liked to point out was the fact that his work crews were all illegals. Why? Because they were cheap labor and he made more money on each job. The best part is that he's a hard core conservative and Trumphumper. The reason I said that he "liked" to talk about it is that he isn't doing so any more after something I said to him.

We were having some work done on the property and he came over to see what was going on. In talking I mentioned that these guys were real pros, busted rear and I bet that they were wiped out at the end of the day. He chose that time to once again regale me with his story about his contracting business, once again mentioning that his employees were all illegals and that some days he would get home, make dinner and pass out from exhaustion with the food there while counting all of the money he made. But this time he had a crew (the guys working at our place) to compare his to and observed that the owner could make more money if he hired illegals.

I looked him in the eye and told him that maybe the owner wasn't cheap and wanted Americans to have the jobs. He STFU and hasn't mentioned his damned business since.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I have a neighbor who moved here from California and was a general contractor, now retired, who liked to brag about his old company. One of the things he liked to point out was the fact that his work crews were all illegals. Why? Because they were cheap labor and he made more money on each job. The best part is that he's a hard core conservative and Trumphumper. The reason I said that he "liked" to talk about it is that he isn't doing so any more after something I said to him.

We were having some work done on the property and he came over to see what was going on. In talking I mentioned that these guys were real pros, busted rear and I bet that they were wiped out at the end of the day. He chose that time to once again regale me with his story about his contracting business, once again mentioning that his employees were all illegals and that some days he would get home, make dinner and pass out from exhaustion with the food there while counting all of the money he made. But this time he had a crew (the guys working at our place) to compare his to and observed that the owner could make more money if he hired illegals.

I looked him in the eye and told him that maybe the owner wasn't cheap and wanted Americans to have the jobs. He STFU and hasn't mentioned his damned business since.

So I wonder if this conservative contractor was all fired up about Trump wanting to build a wall to keep out all of those illegals that he made his fortunes from.

Seems like some (many?) conservatives want their cake and eat it too by talking smack about illegals for appearances sake yet exploiting them for fun and profit and brag about it in the same sentence.

I guess they all know that wall ain't going to do a damn thing as far as preventing folks from crossing the border illegally yet they need to support their Liar-in-Chief's desire to build it.

That is one hell of a fvcked up scenario. lol

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
So I wonder if this conservative contractor was all fired up about Trump wanting to build a wall to keep out all of those illegals that he made his fortunes from.

Seems like some (many?) conservatives want their cake and eat it too by talking smack about illegals for appearances sake yet exploiting them for fun and profit and brag about it in the same sentence.

I guess they all know that wall ain't going to do a damn thing as far as preventing folks from crossing the border illegally yet they need to support their Liar-in-Chief's desire to build it.

That is one hell of a fvcked up scenario. lol
It's common. Greed doesn't seem to have political affiliation.
I'm in the construction business in CA, it's tough. Tons of convoluted regulations that have to be met, absolutely crushing workmen's comp rates, and a never ending stream of agency's that have their hand out requiring a check. The temptation to go underground is there for everyone. The idea of cutting your operating costs by 40% or more is damned attractive, never getting fined because one of the the vast assortment of forms and reports you have to file has a mistake is a huge plus as well. While I don't condone doing it, I clearly understand why they do it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It's common. Greed doesn't seem to have political affiliation.
I'm in the construction business in CA, it's tough. Tons of convoluted regulations that have to be met, absolutely crushing workmen's comp rates, and a never ending stream of agency's that have their hand out requiring a check. The temptation to go underground is there for everyone. The idea of cutting your operating costs by 40% or more is damned attractive, never getting fined because one of the the vast assortment of forms and reports you have to file has a mistake is a huge plus as well. While I don't condone doing it, I clearly understand why they do it.

Totally agree that in many ways greed doesn't have political affiliations. What separates the Dems from the Repubs in this regard though is that the Repubs (specifically so for Trump) have trapped themselves into being contrarians by campaigning against illegal immigration yet will willingly exploit these same immigrants when it comes to reaping higher profit margins.

It doesn't help things jobs-wise for American workers when the availability of dirt cheap labor is readily available and readily taken advantage of as these Americans are either forced out of the labor market because they can't make a living wage from the depressed wage lines being paid to illegals or they are forced to work at these depressed rates because there aren't similar jobs available that pay enough to juggle a mortgage and send their kids to college.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Totally agree that in many ways greed doesn't have political affiliations. What separates the Dems from the Repubs in this regard though is that the Repubs (specifically so for Trump) have trapped themselves into being contrarians by campaigning against illegal immigration yet will willingly exploit these same immigrants when it comes to reaping higher profit margins.

It doesn't help things jobs-wise for American workers when the availability of dirt cheap labor is readily available and readily taken advantage of as these Americans are either forced out of the labor market because they can't make a living wage from the depressed wage lines being paid to illegals or they are forced to work at these depressed rates because there aren't similar jobs available that pay enough to juggle a mortgage and send their kids to college.
That's the rub. The only saving grace is that the fellows that operate outside the law are greedy, they don't pass their savings along to their customers, so pricing stays reasonably level. If it weren't for that, I'd be out of business or forced to adopt the same practices.
Over the past few years even the illegal fellows have started demanding top wages, they often get it because there is a labor shortage around here. The contractors still make bank because they don't have any overhead.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
https://wreg.com/2018/11/08/hospita...wore-controversial-shirt-to-mississippi-poll/

iu

When keeping it real (dumb) goes wrong.

I support his first amendment right to be a complete idiot. I also support an employers right to terminate an at will employee for any or no reason at all.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
And, I'll move to SE Asia and live like a GOD for much much less than you could ever imagine. A maid for $10 USD who cooks and cleans my condo over looking the Thai beach that I only paid $70k. The delicious street food that I pay only 5Thai Baht. The hot beautiful weather in SE Asia. The beautiful people. :)

Is it easy to get permanent residency there? I was looking at the Philippines because any retired military can get it there if your pension is over a certain amount.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Is it easy to get permanent residency there? I was looking at the Philippines because any retired military can get it there if your pension is over a certain amount.

If you're looking to retire in say Thailand you need to show that you have income in a bank account, and that you can support yourself. When I was there I had met people who were retired, but there are a lot of online entrapanures because the cost of lving is so cheap. TBH, it's pretty easy to live there if you want. Retired or not. That's Thailand. I don't know about an of the other areas. But, I'd asume it's probably pretty easy. There are young and old who live in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

Your last sentence says it all. My neighbor wants all illegals arrested and deported but hey, while they were here he had no problem exploiting them while screwing American workers out of a job and stuffing his bank account. He's retired now so he has no use for them. The guy is the typical belligerent, know-it-all who suffers from Conservative Tourette's Syndrome (he can't help uttering conservative crap at inappropriate times in a conversation). Veteran (marine), flies his American flag from the front of his house, fat and pasty white.

He's got it all and he can keep it to himself.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
Your last sentence says it all. My neighbor wants all illegals arrested and deported but hey, while they were here he had no problem exploiting them while screwing American workers out of a job and stuffing his bank account. He's retired now so he has no use for them. The guy is the typical belligerent, know-it-all who suffers from Conservative Tourette's Syndrome (he can't help uttering conservative crap at inappropriate times in a conversation). Veteran (marine), flies his American flag from the front of his house, fat and pasty white.

He's got it all and he can keep it to himself.
Its true republican entrepreneurship, Americans with wage requirements are just losers

Trump's Mar-A-Lago gets approval to hire 70 foreign workers
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/trumps-mar-a-lago-gets-approval-to-hire-70-foreign-workers