More than 1 in 5 Trump SUPPORTERS think he will involve the US in a nuclear war

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Don't you think that it's reasonable for any American citizen to be concerned about the prospect of tyranny and war? Or are just being a douche?

edit: nm

Most elections the Democrats just routinely raise the specter of a warmongering Republican president as sort of stock character, only this time you guys seem to have bought into your own trope narrative and actually believe.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PresidentEvil

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Most elections the Democrats just routinely raise the specter of a warmongering Republican president as sort of stock character, only this time you guys seem to have bought into your own trope narrative and actually believe.

"I would bomb the shit out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That's right... I'd blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left."

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
"I would bomb the shit out of 'em. I would just bomb those suckers. That's right... I'd blow up every single inch. There would be nothing left."

I have been an advocate of carpet bombing Daesh in the past, I won't back down on that one, but things change on a daily basis as far where the guys that seriously want to cut your head off are mixed in on a daily basis.

Trump is just clueless about many things along those lines.

The US has still been actively bombing Daesh for a long time now.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013

Dubya came into office wanting to be a war president, it didn't take any prodding.

Cheney and Company profited. Trump basically wants to do the similar things, he would just have Pence running things in the background.

He had a mandate after 9/11 and ran with it, from things I have seen he had a whole schedule for hitting multiple countries in the middle east after that.

Trump does not want to be POTUS, he just wants to say he was on his resume.

Several people want to do that, but Trump does not care about it in reality. It's just a TV show to him.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Liberals be like the horses only sub Trump for Frau Blucher.

VGkNoyo.jpg

And you keep trying to claim you're not a hack........

Reactions: MongGrel

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I can see folks thinking that a bomb here and there might clarify a few situations but I can also see that folks aren't real big on consequences, not thinking throug what happens a week, a month, a decade later as a result of nuking someone.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

I am asking anyone with more than 10 IQ points in their brain:
If we had the means to "bomb those suckers" just like that to "bomb them so there is nothing left" of ISIS, wouldn't we have LOOONG done it?

There is a reason we didn't.

And Trump did not all-of-a-sudden "magically" discover the solution...but his retards obviously believe so.

(Simply looking at a map from the M.E., spawning from Morrocco to Afghanistan should give someone a clue about this idiocy by Trump. Of course, 80% of Trump supporters would likely need help with the map....)

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Trump said he wants to invade Syria with about 30,000 troops. Does that somehow not count as warmongering?

Yeah, I can understand why you in particular would have trouble distinguishing between "30k troops in Syria" and "inevitable global thermonuclear war." This of course will be the second global thermonuclear war since Democrats guaranteed one should Reagan get elected also.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, I can understand why you in particular would have trouble distinguishing between "30k troops in Syria" and "inevitable global thermonuclear war." This of course will be the second global thermonuclear war since Democrats guaranteed one should Reagan get elected also.

You said warmonger, not nuclear war specifically. Invading Syria with tens of thousands of troops is sone major warmongering, wouldn't you agree?

The obvious nonsense of the strawman of 'inevitable global thermonuclear war' aside, the topic of this thread is what Trump supporters think, not Democrats.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You ever watch a Trump rally?

IMO, many of these people are depressed, lonely and angry. Their world that they used to know it is falling apart! So, why shouldn't we nuke everyone and everything!

Their lives stink anyway. Let's make it bad for the rest of the world.

dead_smiley

Jun 13, 2016
I don't even know what to say about this other than holy shit. Partisanship in this country is so strong that people will vote for someone who they believe is likely to engage the US in a fucking nuclear war. What do you do when a substantial part of the electorate has literally gone insane?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...ly-half-of-voters-think-trump-will-detonate-a

Full survey here:
http://www.lincolnleaders.org/risk-survey-data

Now to be clear this poll was commissioned by an anti-Trump group of Republicans, but it was conducted by Surveymonkey, which is a real polling firm. (even if they aren't the best) If the results are even remotely close to accurate this is truly insane.

Holy Made Up Crap Batman! I know lots of Trump supporters and this topic has never even been imagined. This is completely bogus. Move along.

Sent from my overpriced Galaxy S6 Edge +

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That wouldn't go well for the unarmed side that supports gun control. On the bright side it would be a short war.

I'm pretty sure anybody shooting at the police & the national guard would be the losers.

dead_smiley

Jun 13, 2016
I'm pretty sure anybody shooting at the police & the national guard would be the losers.
The number of citizens that own firearms FAR outweigh the number of police and national guard.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The number of citizens that own firearms FAR outweigh the number of police and national guard.

The government also has drones, missiles, tanks, jets, etc. Go against the government and you'll lose.

dead_smiley

Jun 13, 2016
The government also has drones, missiles, tanks, jets, etc. Go against the government and you'll lose.
If the government uses drones, missiles and tanks against it's own people then there is no longer a USA.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

So what? The so-called Patriot Movement is a tiny loud mouthed media manipulating part of that. Shit talking fools.

Responsible & rational gun owners won't touch revolutionary bullshit with a pole. They have no reason to do so.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Holy Made Up Crap Batman! I know lots of Trump supporters and this topic has never even been imagined. This is completely bogus. Move along.

Never even been imagined by Trump supporters? I'm sure you're right. They didn't have time to rationalize their way around it when the question was asked.

Imagine supporting a candidate you think would get us into a nuclear war. That's about as blind foolish as I can imagine.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

While this is true it's probably not as true as you believe.

There's about 2.2 million national guard and police. While there's well over 300 million guns in the US.

However about half are owned by only 3% of the country:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-study-says/64lXfaL5qo5YdszYIS90uO/story.html
Just three percent of adults in the United States own half of the country’s guns, according to a new study by researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities.

An estimated 7.7 million adults nationwide make up a group of so-called gun super-owners, stockpiling anywhere from eight firearms per person up to 140. On average, they own 17 guns apiece, researchers said.

On the other end of the spectrum, half of the estimated 55 million gun owners in America own either one or two guns, according to the study.

I'm sure some of the police and guardsman are in those super owners number as well.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Made up how? Are you saying the results are falsified? If not, what are you saying?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While this is true it's probably not as true as you believe.

There's about 2.2 million national guard and police. While there's well over 300 million guns in the US.

However about half are owned by only 3% of the country:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-study-says/64lXfaL5qo5YdszYIS90uO/story.html

I'm sure some of the police and guardsman are in those super owners number as well.

This is a good point that is usually lost on gun owners. They are a small but extremely active minority. The percentage of Americans that own guns has been in decline for a long time now.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Back on topic.

Here's why Trump and some of his supporters' views are scary: Trump genuinely doesn't understand why he shouldn't use nukes. And there's an interview where he asked why he shouldn't nuke ISIS. Large-scale atrocities? Mutually-assured destruction policies? Alienated allies? Centuries-long repercussions for the environment? The near-guaranteed retaliation that will follow, with attacks that make the past 15 years of terrorism seem timid? They don't even seem to register with him.

Combine that wanton disregard with a hot-headed, vindictive personality and you have a recipe for disaster. I don't think Trump would actually get to use nukes, but we could hear about an incident where he screamed for the use of nukes and had to be talked down (or outright refused) by the more rational people in his administration. That a fifth of his supporters genuinely see him pulling the trigger, and aren't deterred by it, is genuinely saddening.