More responsible gun ownership Texas edition

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I see a lot of unsafe handling at the ranges here. I can only imagine what's going on inside peoples homes.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
One reason I am glad I have a lot of space from my neighbors.
That's terrible. That gun could have been pointed in 360 X 360 different directions and for the bullet to find him is terrible luck.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You gun-grabber wannabes are so predictable; it’s always guns with you. IP, why don’t you post articles about people cleaning their swords and inadvertently running them through the wall and into the kid next door? Shoddy apartment construction is to blame.

Note to Mr. Squish: I could have blamed high density housing but I’m a better person than that.

Reactions: interchange

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Trouble with gun ownership being a right is it's hard to mandate training and such since that sets a gate for some people.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Who the fuck doesn't clear a firearm before cleaning it.

We should start training people that the first thing you do to clean your firearm is look down the barrel and pull the trigger, would weed out a lot more morons.
A lot of people accidentally discharge their guns while "cleaning" them. Do we think he was really cleaning it or was he screwing around?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Trouble with gun ownership being a right is it's hard to mandate training and such since that sets a gate for some people.
As it should. We need to come to grips with the fact that there are stupid people. There are people that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms as they don't have the mental capacity to safely handle them.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
As it should. We need to come to grips with the fact that there are stupid people. There are people that shouldn't be allowed to own firearms as they don't have the mental capacity to safely handle them.
So we should have a competency test for firearm ownership?

Mar 11, 2004
You gun-grabber wannabes are so predictable; it’s always guns with you. IP, why don’t you post articles about people cleaning their swords and inadvertently running them through the wall and into the kid next door? Shoddy apartment construction is to blame.

Note to Mr. Squish: I could have blamed high density housing but I’m a better person than that.

Genuinely not sure if serious.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Who the fuck doesn't clear a firearm before cleaning it.

We should start training people that the first thing you do to clean your firearm is look down the barrel and pull the trigger, would weed out a lot more morons.

Had an Uncle do that. Went straight through his leg.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
How does that square with it being a constitutional right? If you fail the competency test, you're denied a constitutional right? Or should we amend that first?
It doesn't work within the constitution, and the possibility of changing that is zero. I like the idea, but I also understand it will never happen.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
How does that square with it being a constitutional right? If you fail the competency test, you're denied a constitutional right? Or should we amend that first?
No need for an amendment. Just need the "strict constitutionalists" to stop ignoring the plain language of the constitution and re-interpreting it creatively for political ends - ala Heller. "A well regulated militia" is not extraneous verbiage to just be ignored.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
No need for an amendment. Just need the "strict constitutionalists" to stop ignoring the plain language of the constitution and re-interpreting it creatively for political ends - ala Heller. "A well regulated militia" is not extraneous verbiage to just be ignored.
It needs to be redefined, restated, or amended in such a way that it cannot be 're-interpreted' as anything else. Like literally stated 'only members of the US National Guard' or some such.

Mar 11, 2004

What, the first 3 words of an Amendment probably weren't chosen to be the first 3 words for a reason, I'm sure its throwaway language they included for no reason whatsoever.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
@Greenman reasonably differs from the party line here, and we should support that.
All I meant was, if it was his idea why shoot it down lol. I guess if it's his opinion though, there's no need for it to be feasible. I'd recommend him not spend too much time shooting down other people's unfeasible ideas, though.

Reactions: ch33zw1z