More OCZ bad news?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Their QA process seems to have finally improved but it might be too little too late.

Don’t know about that. Now that they have sold a few Vectors the forums are filling up with reports of dead drives and general compatibility issues. Looks like business as usual to me.

Sure end users typically only post when they have problems, but if you check out other vendor forums they don’t seem to have a fraction of the issues and other vendors now have a greater market share than OCZ.

Ao1

Apr 15, 2012
Support on a forum is not supposed to be a substitute for releasing bug free products.

OCZ’s attitude is 1) Denial. 2) After denial does not work blame someone else, either the end user or an innocent 3rd party. 3) When all else fails get the end user to spend countless hours beta testing.

I don’t really call that good support.

Check any forum and you won’t see as many reports of dead drives or drives with compatibility problems. It’s an undeniable fact of life.

JellyRoll

Nov 30, 2012
OCZs forum is full of trolls who insult members looking for help for not knowing their voodoo rituals. These trolls are encouraged by OCZ, usually from their 'official beta tester' ranks, which is amusing. They beta test on every single customer they have, so the 'official beta testers' are merely goons they pay with free SSDs to insult and run off customers needing help...

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Support on a forum is not supposed to be a substitute for releasing bug free products.

OCZ’s attitude is 1) Denial. 2) After denial does not work blame someone else, either the end user or an innocent 3rd party. 3) When all else fails get the end user to spend countless hours beta testing.

I don’t really call that good support.

Check any forum and you won’t see as many reports of dead drives or drives with compatibility problems. It’s an undeniable fact of life.

[citation needed]

I'm no fanboy, but those are some pretty big allegations. Surely you can provide at least a small amount of proof to back them up?

The only OCZ drive i've ever owned was a Vertex 3 that needed a firmware update before the Windows 7 installer would pick up on it and a few bios setting changes, but I knew that going in and it was more a motherboard/bios issue than a problem with the SSD itself. That drive is still kicking with no issues to speak of.

If OCZ was having such glaring quality issues like these forums seem to think, at least some major tech news sites would be reporting on it, or at least running into issues themselves with test units, no?

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Why is it that when there's an OCZ thread there are a bunch of people suddenly who show up with less than 50 posts?

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Last edited:

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm amazed at the number of users that continually chime in to say there was never anything wrong with OCZ reliability.

Here are some great data points on RMA rates of SSDs at a large european retailer, taken every 6 months or so covering the last year and a half:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/843-7/components-returns-rates-5.html
http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-returns-rates-6.html
http://www.behardware.com/articles/881-7/components-returns-rates-7.html

OCZ consistently has higher defective rates, on the order of 5-10X that of other SSD manufacturers. Many of their models have return rates in the double digits, such as my own beloved vertex 2 that died twice in the span of a month. OCZ clearly has inferior QA and anyone who believes otherwise is simply deluding themselves, or an OCZ shill.

Their more recent models seem to be fixing most of these issues, but like I said, too little too late.

groberts101

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
OCZs forum is full of trolls who insult members looking for help for not knowing their voodoo rituals. These trolls are encouraged by OCZ, usually from their 'official beta tester' ranks, which is amusing. They beta test on every single customer they have, so the 'official beta testers' are merely goons they pay with free SSDs to insult and run off customers needing help...

lol.. well.. let me tell you something Richard.. err wait.. you're name IS Richard, right?

I've personally helped more people with system related problems over at that particular forum(most of which was well before they offered me the opportunity to test their products).. and yes some of them were actually firmware related.. than you have personally insulted on this particular forum(and knowing your "type").. probably other forums as well. And by your apparent consistency in doing such.. that must be a LOT of help offered.

:thumbsup:

Best post in the thread.

Maybe so.. but my one liner above just topped them all. :biggrin:

Personally.. I think all the mean girls aren't happy unless they have an "anti-OCZ panty wearing" pajama party every few months around here. Carry on.

Modded for possible language. Let's keep it clean please.

Burner27 - Moderator
Memory & Storage

Last edited by a moderator:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I bought a second OCZ SSD after reading that it was a firmware issues everyone was having. Clearly that was not the case for everyone. Luckily I have 2 years on it without issues. But there are enough other brands to play it safe and buy from in the future.

JellyRoll

Nov 30, 2012
lol.. well.. let me tell you something Richard.. err wait.. you're name IS Richard, right?

I've personally helped more people with system related problems over at that particular forum(most of which was well before they offered me the opportunity to test their products).. and yes some of them were actually firmware related.. than you have personally insulted on this particular forum(and knowing your "type").. probably other forums as well. And by your apparent consistency in doing such.. that must be a LOT of help offered.

Well, I wasn't referring to you. I was not even aware of your apparent 'status' as a beta-tester over there.
However, I appreciate that you have identified yourself via the standard tactics that I have witnessed on that forum.
Your one-liner was neither funny or amusing, and the following extremely poorly constructed paragraph was simply impossible to understand.
I would suggest using a computer instead of a cell phone to post. Cell phone screens do not allow people enough space to see obviously poor sentence and paragraph construction.

Last edited by a moderator: