More OCZ bad news?

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by VirtualLarry, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Loading...

Similar Threads - news Forum Date
    Any news on a EVO 950 SATA Memory and Storage Nov 18, 2015
    [theinquirer]Toshiba 15nm news Memory and Storage Apr 23, 2014
    Any news on the release date for the Crucial M500 1TB SSD? Memory and Storage Feb 10, 2013
    has any news on new mSata cards popped up? Memory and Storage Nov 16, 2012
    Trim for RAID 0 news? Memory and Storage May 23, 2012

2. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

Not good. Having all that inventory on the shelf isn't good either, just from the sheer cost of materials alone, let alone the reduced marketability of older tech.

3. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Looks like a good dose of reality. A buy out would be the best thing. That link sucks! To read more than page 1 insists on "registration," . . . not nice!

4. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Sorry, link did not require registration when I posted it.

5. UaVaj

UaVaj Golden Member

all that gonna happen is a name change becuase the current management can not do their job of pleasing the current bean counters.

as for ocz ssd technologies. nothing gonna change. indinlinx is still one of the best chipset for ssd hands down.

6. JellyRoll

JellyRoll Member

Thieu intentions of going pure enterprise are flawed, there is no hope for that. No one is going to buy their products with this much uncertainty in their future. not a chance. Would you buy 5,000 SSDs from a company that may not be there in a few months?
    They will sell off their IP, and then dilute their stock to the point it is worthless.
    OCZ is done. Within 6 months, or less, they are over.

7. Emulex

Emulex Diamond Member

no warranty on worlds least reliable ssd?

I guess firesale will commence

8. Coup27

Coup27 Platinum Member

If that article is all good then OCZ are getting what they deserve. OCZ have arguably the worst reputation out of all the SSD vendors with a history of half baked unreliable products and shady business practices.

This makes the decision to peruse the enterprise look like it's been made by one of the bean counters who has zero perception to where OCZ stand in the market place or their public perception. A reputation for unreliability, shady publicity and a big question mark over it's long term future. You could not get more of an opposite résumé for an enterprise supplier.

OCZ should have recognised it's position and continued as a bleeding edge enthusiast / consumer SSD vendor and hopefully turned a small profit instead of chase an avenue they are completely ill-equipped to service.

#8 Coup27, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  9. Eug

Eug Lifer

Good. Timing is perfect.

OCZ helped bring the pricing of SSDs down, but did so by releasing garbage product. Time for them to disappear completely.

10. dave_the_nerd

In the process, hopefully they can drag the price of SSDs down a little more... :whiste:

11. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

This thread has certainly brought out the haters.

Continue on.

12. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

The reason their first few lines of SSDs had issues was because they were on the bleeding edge.
    They were pretty much the beta testers for Sanforce, and they paid a heavy price for it.

I haven't heard of any major issues in their newest line of SSDs.

13. UaVaj

UaVaj Golden Member

not sure how many of the series 1, series 2 and series 3 are still out there on the shelfs.

as for series 4 with the marvel controller and intel nand. it is a solid product just like any other brand that shares these same oem components.

sadly this change came too late and not soon enough for the bean counters.

as for the haters. carry on. ignorance is bliss.

#13 UaVaj, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  14. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

If there is a fire sale with $0.10/GB pricing on older-gen but new SSDs, count me in.

15. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

Elixir has it correct. They took the utility and marketability of the SSD and ran it right out to the edge. Sadly, they made a few mistakes and got a not necessarily undeserved bad rep from it. I think they cleaned it up on the 4th gen SSDs (Agility/Vertex 4, etc) but it may be too late.

They have a tarnished but marketable name and product line, if they sell and/or reorganize I hope they get it right. Competition is good all the way around.

16. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

I wouldn't be running seven (7!) OCZ Vertex 4's in my primary home PC if I bought into the OCZ negativity prevalent on these forums. Fortunately, I'm able to see past it and purchase my hardware based on individual product merrits.

17. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

My Vertex 3 is doing fine... granted it's only been running for 2.5 months (1762 hours), still does better than advertised by about R:4%/W:3% (560/495 over 535/480)... I have another 33 months on warranty. Not concerned.

18. Mixolydian

Mixolydian Lifer

yikes, just bought 2 OCZ SSDs this week. vertex4 128gb

19. JellyRoll

JellyRoll Member

The negativity is not some prevalent feature just on these boards. It is industry wide. And everyone knows their ship is sinking.
    I wish all of their customers good luck with their products, because it is guaranteed that they will not be there to honor the warranty. Don't believe me or anyone on the boards, believe every analyst on the planet :)

20. Fallengod

Fallengod Diamond Member

I stopped buying OCZ anything years ago.....Just sayin...

21. Gillbot

Gillbot Lifer

Unfortunately, some of us that believed in the OCZ hype way back got burnt pretty bad and that scar isn't easily covered.

Some think the negativity is unwarranted but those who have been through the hassles of products not performing as expected and continual returns on failures know otherwise.

22. JellyRoll

JellyRoll Member

Yes, it is unfortunate, in the early Vertex days they were awesome.

23. billyb0b

billyb0b Golden Member

it's the normal course of the marketplace... they made decisions that will ultimately impact them down the road

personally i wish they would have stayed in the ram market... they made great memory

24. kmmatney

kmmatney Diamond Member

As a system builder (for my company), I've had very few problems with memory sticks, but the few problems I did have were mostly with OCZ memory. I bought a few OCZ SSD in the early days, and luckily those are all still working, but soon after they started having problems I switched to only buying Intel, Samsung or Crucial SSDs. Maybe the probems were caused by Sandforce and not OCZ, but the damage was done. I've never had any problems with any SSD, and want to keep it that way.

25. yefi

yefi Member

Yeah, damn those bean counters and their petty concerns over profit or loss. OCZ doesn't need to impress them, it doesn't need to file financial returns like some normal company, it's just too awesome for all that...