More men taking wives' last names

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I wouldn't try to force a wife to take my name, but I wouldn't take hers either. I'm going to die with the name I was born with, unless I figure out a way to fake my own death. :p

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I actually have a dilemma about this. I'm getting married next October. If I take her last name, my name would be "John Rambo."

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Quasmo
I actually have a dilemma about this. I'm getting married next October. If I take her last name, my name would be "John Rambo."

If there ever was a reason for a man to take a woman's name...this is the one.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: AreaCode707
I'm surprised at the abundance of caveman attitude in this thread. I get not wanting to change your name but the vehement opposition to a guy changing his name COMBINED with the strong opinion that the woman should change hers is really two-faced.

No, its tradition. Its not two faced or "caveman".

I'm sure the average woman would be a-ok if we broke other marriage traditions too, like the man wasting a small fortune on an engagement ring, right?

I'm wearing a $100 gold band so I'm the wrong girl to ask. However, there's a pretty big difference between a tradition involving a gift and a tradition involving identity. Also, the guys complaining loudest here seem to be doing it from a fear of "pussification", not a deep-rooted love for tradition. If it were tradition, I'd get it. It's the master-of-the-house thing that surprises me.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I'm surprised at the abundance of caveman attitude in this thread. I get not wanting to change your name but the vehement opposition to a guy changing his name COMBINED with the strong opinion that the woman should change hers is really two-faced.

I'm sure the average woman would be a-ok if we broke other marriage traditions too, like the man wasting a small fortune on an engagement ring, right?

I'm wearing a $100 gold band so I'm the wrong girl to ask. However, there's a pretty big difference between a tradition involving a gift and a tradition involving identity. Also, the guys complaining loudest here seem to be doing it from a fear of "pussification", not a deep-rooted love for tradition. If it were tradition, I'd get it. It's the master-of-the-house thing that surprises me.

You may be the exception, but I'd imagine if the average man asked the average woman to marry him while presenting a $100 gold band, it wouldn't go over too well, ya know?

Perhaps the "master of the house" thing is also a part of tradition - because, well, thats how it was for a long time. Hence the word.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

You may be the exception, but I'd imagine if the average man asked the average woman to marry him while presenting a $100 gold band, it wouldn't go over too well, ya know?

Perhaps the "master of the house" thing is also a part of tradition - because, well, thats how it was for a long time. Hence the word.

I don't think of myself as the "master of the house" by any means. My wife and I make decisions together and seem to be on the same page on most stuff. This has worked fine for us for 17 years and one child so I see no reason to change it.

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008

in my professional opinion, I say do it!

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

You pretty much have to do this...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005

the master of the house thing is never going to change.
It's not a matter of disrespect, and if what I am about to say comes off as such, I humbly apologize.

The females of our species are, by nature, not as physically gifted; not as strong, and more emotional due to hormone differences. This is, of course, an average. There are exceptions. Some women are like hulky cavemen, and some men are little weaklings who cry over a dead squirrel in the road.

In my opinion, the master of the house thing isn't about the man being the supreme being, it's about the man using his nature to provide safety and shelter for his family. It's not just about protecting the spouse, but also the children, the property, the belongings inside.
We will always be a tribal creature, and this very nature stems from tribal origins. The men are the protectors. Some women in this day are just as capable, but it is in the male's genetic code [most men, at least] to provide the service of "master of the house".

For some men, stepping over that belief can cause problems because that's making the man appear as if he cannot provide for the family.
Yes, I'm okay with a women providing for the family as well. As I said before, it's not a "supreme being" issue, because any individual should realize one is not complete without the other. In tribal settings, the man provides the safety while the female provides the nurture. In today's world, this can change up a bit and come from both directions, but both need each other in some way.

My goal in life is all about having kids at some point. If I find a strong white-collar woman who doesn't want kids, that relationship isn't going nowhere. It's not the working nature, it's the not having kids issue. And my goals in life after kids will revolve around protecting and providing for said kids, and the family in whole.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Platypus

You pretty much have to do this...

this. There is no option here, no choice. There is only one thing to do, and you know what that is.

:)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

I see what you did there.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002

then you could walk around all day with no shirt, wearing a red head band, and carrying an m16. that would be awesome.

i would marry someone for this reason alone.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The sad thing is, this really isn't a joke.

The sad thing is, some of you actually care about this...as if it affects anyone other than the man and the woman who exchanged vows with each other.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
The sad thing is, this really isn't a joke.

The sad thing is, some of you actually care about this...as if it affects anyone other than the man and the woman who exchanged vows with each other.

Changing my last name killed my father.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

I find it hilarious that the uproar is about men taking their wife's last names and that being emasculating when the actual battle they're losing is getting married in the first place. THAT'S where you lose your balls. The name shit is just salt.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I came up with a scheme:

Man: Jones
Woman: Smith
<get tagged> Both are now Smith Jones
<bang out kids, a girl and a boy> Both kids are Smith Jones
<girl gets married to boy named Peters> Girl goes by Smith Peters
<boy gets married to girl named Combs> Boy goes by Combs Jones

All family names are preserved with maternal names following maternal lineage and paternal names following paternal lineage. I placed the paternal lineage last as that is the current norm but it matters not to me.

This system avoids the three hundred last names problem with the old Spanish system of women adding on surnames generation after generation.

Same sex couples will have to flip a coin or fight it out as to which name comes first/last. Upon marriage, children of same sex couples can all take the last name Ironwing so they don't have to choose or they could reach back to the grandparents for names if they wanted to maintain maternal or paternal lines.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: ironwing
I came up with a scheme:

All family names are preserved with maternal names following maternal lineage and paternal names following paternal lineage. I placed the paternal lineage last as that is the current norm but it matters not to me.

This system avoids the three hundred last names problem with the old Spanish system of women adding on surnames generation after generation.

Same sex couples will have to flip a coin or fight it out as to which name comes first/last. Upon marriage, children of same sex couples can all take the last name Ironwing so they don't have to choose or they could reach back to the grandparents for names if they wanted to maintain maternal or paternal lines.

So...how many different names exist in this country after five generations? :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: TruePaige
Originally posted by: ironwing
I came up with a scheme:

So...how many different names exist in this country after five generations? :p

Two.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: TruePaige

Rings and names don't bring love.

And if you don't have love, if you don't feel blessed by all that is above, it's not worth a dime or worth wasting your time.

I don't put thought into replies that rhyme.

If you can't do the time don't read the rhyme!

Is it a crime to attempt romantic thoughts sublime?