Moon Landings a Hoax?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Faith.

Not religous faith, but the faith that comes from knowing we've applied the scientific method and all of the tools available to try and understand. We've got to come to a point where we say we've done the best we can, with the available tools, and still don't for certain understand everything there is in the Universe.

One of my favorite lines in a movie came from Star Trek VI. Spock tells Volaris. "Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end." "You must have faith that the Universe will turn out as it should."

That doesn't mean we quit trying.

I wonder if the scientists who designed the Atomic bomb knew for sure, relativistically speaking, that it would work? After all, designing a bomb, broken down to it's simplest parts, is an exercise in Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering. I'm sure there came a point where they had to run on faith. Faith that they understood the process well enough to make it work. Could they prove before setting off a demo that it would work? No. They had faith in their understanding of the Physics involved to make a judgement about whether it would work, but still, there must have been some lingering doubt.

Do we really need to know with relativistic certainty why things are the way they are? I don't think so. It would cut out a lot of life's fun, little, surprises.;)

Damn keyboard!:|

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, quite so, but in the context of Scientific Method, I prefer the term confidence. :)

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999

<< Now Andy did you hear about this one? Tell me, are you locked in the punch? Andy are you goofing on Elvis? Hey baby, are we losing touch?

If you believe, they put a man on the moon, a man on the moon. If you believe, there's nothing up their sleeve, then nothing is cool
>>

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Why does everything have to be cut and dry? Perhaps we did land on the moon, but perhaps the tv footage was faked. Let me explain, where would the drama about the whole moon landing have been without some faceless guy bouncing around on the 'moon'. Perhaps we were unable at the time to send live tv feeds to the moon, so to dramitize the real moon landing that was going on at the time we faked the tv footage. So we actually did go to the moon, but the tv footage is fake.

On a humorous side note, they make fun of the fake moon landing in a James Bond movie when 007 busts into a set where they're filming a moon landing, pretty funny stuff.