Moon Landings a Hoax?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cue Theramin: ooooo-o-o-o-wheee-e-e-e-e-o-o-o-oooo.... (old sci-fi music sound). :Q ;)

cfredc

Jul 19, 2000
heheh... right on rubix... but earth doesnt revolve around the sun... it revolves around me

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does it seem that the same folks who think there's an alien constructed face with accompanying pyramids on Mars the same who argue the moon landings were faked?

Considering the long history of human technologic accomplishment, why do some people put so little credence in the human potential for herculean accomplishment and so much credence in the problematic accomplishments of aliens for which there is no proof whatsoever that they actually exist?

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's because many of them believe the knowledge was handed to them in 1947 at Roswell, NM.

yakawictz

Feb 8, 2000
The moon landing is real ! I know because I was there. I was the one taking the pictures when the astronauts first set foot on the moon. I was the one who filmed the takeoff back to earth. Notice how I kept the camera on the spaceship as it went up into space ??? pretty good 'eh !

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Why do I believe we went to the moon?

My Father told me we did.
He worked on the Apollo project for the subcontractor of the third stage(S-IV-B), McDonnell-Douglas. I saw every launch live and in person.

Ok you say, &quot;How does that prove we actually landed? The rocks themselves are some of that proof. I think if UG gets to do an analysis of the actual rocks he'll find that they are basaltic in nature, just like similar rocks here on earth, but slightly different. The moon has no protective atmosphere and thus the rocks should show the effect of being constanly bombarded by the various forms of radiation that our atmosphere protects our rocks from.

Ok you say, &quot;A lander could have scooped those rocks up and returned them to earth&quot;. Nice try. The technology for that didn't exist at the time. Not until the Viking landings on Mars did we have a lander that was capable of collecting samples, much less returning them to earth.

The moon landings weren't a miracle. As Jim Lovell said in his book &quot;We just decided to go&quot;. Hopefully NASA will get that focused again.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Should I presume that, since none of us personally has been to the moon, we must accept on faith that all the anecdotal and seeming physical evidence in support of the conclusion that 12 people actually walked on the moon is valid, factual, and real?

But then, in such a case, one has to subscribe to the notion that faith has substance beyond a purely self-serving, emotional rationale.

Which is it, real, or faithful?

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Tiger; ;)

&quot;Although the Soviet Union never landed a manned spacecraft on the Moon, it placed robot vehicles (e.g., Lunikhod rover) on the lunar surface in 1970 and again in 1972. It also succeeded in recovering samples of lunar soil on other missions of that time. Whereas the United States turned its attention to interplanetary exploration with the completion of the Apollo Moon-landing program in 1972, the Soviet Union continued launching unmanned lunar probes until 1974.&quot;

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
The rocks themselves are the tangible, real, proof. They could only come from one place and at the time the only way for us, the US, to get them and return them was via Humans and the landings.

We all have to have faith to some extent. Because I can prove empirically that the Earth orbits the Sun does that real fact prove that it will continue to do so?

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
UG,

Yes, I knew that.:)

We, the US, didn't have anything like that until Viking. In some areas the USSR kicked our ass. They were also the first to land a probe on Venus.

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Viking was little different than Lunar Surveyor, in that neither program was sample-return, as were at least a couple of the Apollo-contemporary Lunikhods.

Nasa's only intra-planetary, sample-return mission currently coming to mind is Stardust. Not a lander, but a fly-and-scoop mission.

;)

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This quote comes from a link from the linked site in someones post..its a hoax of a website talking about the moon landing hoaxes...wanna make some money?

&quot;A cash reward of $100,000 has been offered to anyone who can send us, by e-mail, conclusive physical evidence of the existence of the moon. This reward remains unclaimed.&quot;

Hell, I'll give 100,000 bucks to anyone who can send me any sort of physical evidence through email!

cyderpunk

Jul 20, 2000
The theory that we never landed men on the moon is just another goverment conspiracy, placed out there to satisfy the conspiracy theorists that something bad is going on, whilst distracting them from the REAL conspircacies...
Area51 (also a fake)...
BTW, if I had any evidence I'd be dead...you didn't hear this from me....

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It'll be interesting to see if Stardust will survive long enough in the comet's Coma to collect a decent sample. It's going to get pummled pretty good.;)

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The questioning of the moon landings perhaps being a hoax is one way to address and apply the lessons of Relativity Theory, specifically
Special Relativity, as it deals with absolute knowledge.

Absolute knowledge only exists on a local scale as mutually observed and agreed upon experience.

I write this, I post it to ATOF, you read it, I read it. We can agree with absolute certainty that you and I are reading this post on ATOF. We can not agree with absoulte certainty that I, UG, personally wrote it, or that I, UG, actually posted it. We can say with absolute certainty that it was posted using my AT account.

Six pairs of Apollo astronauts can, amongst themselves as individual pairs, agree to be absolutely certain that they, each individual pair, landed on the moon. But the six pairs of astronauts cannot say with absolute certainty that the other five pairs actually landed, as they themselves had, since the 12 astronauts were not all on the moon at the same time, in the actual company of all the others.

Absolute knowledge exists only locally amongst people with certain knowledge gained from shared experience.

Which is why moon landing hoax's, faces on Mars, flying saucers and alien abductions, gods &amp; goddesses will always find fertile ground in the shadows of uncertainty and spectulation.

How might we best manage the intellectual conundrum of there being no relativistic, high-confidence, universal absolute as we quest for universal truth and knowledge?