Money does buy happiness, up to a certain amount

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Money definately buys comfort and contentment as you don't need to worry about the basic stuff, but true happiness? Problem is the more money I make, and thus spend, the more I have to worry about losing it. Whether its through stock market loses, depreciation in cars or house, repairs needed to the toys I buy. I think thats why they say it buys happiness up to a certain point.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I think it depends. If you were just handed money, sure you could be happy. But just accumulating crap in general wont make you happy. Eventually you'll run out of "what is next".

If I had tons of extra money I'd travel. Even that can have an end, though :(

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Nothing earth shattering.

When you make $75K plus or around there, you generally don't have to stress about expenses, as long you don't go extravagant.

My personal goal is to make 100K and work 4 days a week.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
Wouldn't you have to take into account the fact that people who make more money, have had to earn that money, through hard work, long hours and stress?

This isn't really comparing money to happiness, it's comparing higher paying and more demanding jobs to happiness.

Yes, that makes more sense. $75k is like easy work. After that, it might not be worth it as much.