Money does buy happiness, up to a certain amount

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/01/money-and-happiness-over-75k-doesnt-matter/?hpt=C2

It used to be $ doesnt buy happiness if you're above welware levels.
As long as you have food and shelter, your happiness lvl doesnt go up much the more $ you make.

This study says otherwise.
For household income, 73 percent of those earning above $75,000 per year were happy, vs. only 59 percent for those under $50,000. It's perhaps not surprising that money brings happiness to some extent, but the survey found that $75,000 is the "magic point": Beyond that, greater incomes do not seem to bring greater happiness, Parent said. Similarly, below $50,000, people were consistently less happy.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
Hmmmm. I have money. Where do I buy this "happiness" of which you speak?

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
I'm still under 50k a year, but the way I see it is that if money doesn't buy happiness, you're not spending it correctly or don't know what you truly want deep down inside.

Here are some interesting food for thought in regards to something I read recently.
Sorry I don't have a link, but these are two interesting points that stuck to me.

People tend to be happier when things are anticipated. For example, instead of deciding that I want a new iPad or HDTV, plan vacations or medium large purchases in advance. The anticipation of the actual trip or buying the actual item *supposedly makes some people happier* instead of just going out a weekend, finding a TV, and plunking it in.

Also, spending $$ that bring about valuable memories tend to bring more happiness than objects, such as going on a family vacations or getaway instead of "oh look I bought a new gadget." Going out to a memorable party with friends will probably create longer lasting, happy memories instead of buying a new article of designer clothing or whatever.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/01/money-and-happiness-over-75k-doesnt-matter/?hpt=C2

As long as you have food and shelter, your happiness lvl doesnt go up much the more $ you make.

BTW, in regards to the "above welfare levels," in today's "modern" society about wants, wants, and wants, I disagree with this. I'm a pretty simple, easy to satisfy person, but I think it's safe to say that most people have wants more than just basic survival.

Aug 8, 2010

Household income could be 1 or 2 wage earner families. That should be separated out.

It would be nice if my wife worked and earned income, but there's a lot ot be said for coming home to a clean house with dinner on the table and having freshly laundered, ironed clothes in the morning.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/happiness-is-earning-60000-a-year.html

The video is also worth watching if you have the time (20 minutes).

“Below 60,000 dollars a year, people are unhappy, and they get progressively unhappier the poorer they get. Above that, we get an absolutely flat line. I mean I’ve rarely seen lines so flat.”

“Clearly… money does not buy you experiential happiness, but lack of money certainly buys you misery,” he said. But the real trick, Kahneman said, is to spend time with people you like.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
great discovery! we have a term for this "good" in economics, law of diminishing marginal return.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
if i was single with no kids and making less than 50K, i'd be happy
if i was married with 6 kids making 75K, i'd be crying

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Money can't buy happiness?

tyronecrackparty.jpg

gigahertz20

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2007
Money does buy happiness for most people, and it definitely would for me. If I won the Powerball and knew that I did not have to ever work again in my life, I would be on Cloud 9 crying from happiness.

The only people that say money does not buy happiness are the rich prick bastards that have no friends to enjoy their money with because they grew up being rich and conceited....or people that no matter how much they had they would not be happy because of some mental problem or personality trait.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
The study is completely invalid because ATOT was not included. Did you participate? No, I didn't think so.

goog40

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2000
Money does buy happiness for most people, and it definitely would for me. If I won the Powerball and knew that I did not have to ever work again in my life, I would be on Cloud 9 crying from happiness.

The only people that say money does not buy happiness are the rich prick bastards that have no friends to enjoy their money with because they grew up being rich and conceited....or people that no matter how much they had they would not be happy because of some mental problem or personality trait.

That's what a lot of people who win the a huge lotto jackpot think, before they inevitably end up broke and even more miserable than before.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Wouldn't you have to take into account the fact that people who make more money, have had to earn that money, through hard work, long hours and stress?

This isn't really comparing money to happiness, it's comparing higher paying and more demanding jobs to happiness.