Modern, but ultra-low-end GPU. For mostly video watching. Does it exist?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Reason: 1080p + 1280 x 1024 It takes up less deskspace than two 1080p monitors and for web browsing (or MS Word) I haven't seen the need anything for wider than 1280 pixels.

That's why you get 1200p or 1440p and turn it vertical.

2560x1440p + 1440x2560p side panel is pretty nice, you have the horizontal workspace on one monitor, and the vertical workspace on the 2nd monitor.

Or you can do 1920x1200 if you dont need 1440p pixel density, or you want a slightly smaller footprint on the desktop.

With decent monitor mounts it makes moving between horizontal and vertical orientation a non-issue, takes 30 seconds to change it.

uDB1NYp.jpg

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Last edited:

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Reading through this thread one poster reports Maxwell having a RAMDAC which is the silicon involved with analog and thus built in DVI-I support.

This makes sense as I have seen Maxwell cards with DVI-I such as the following GTX 950:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487156

14-487-156_R01.jpg

So with that noted, I don't see why we couldn't have a low profile card with both HDMI 2.0b and DVI-I.

P.S. As I recall GM206 supports HEVC and VP9 in hardware doesn't it? If so, it wouldn't have anything lacking at this time.

Galax did make a low profile GTX 950 with DVI-I:

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-44310-view-low-profile-version-geforce-gtx-950.html

http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/product/graphics_bord/nvidia/gf-gtx950-e2gb_oc_lp/

But this one never came to the US AFAIK. That and of course this card is well above the 25W power budget Virtual Larry mentioned in the OP.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I mean, there's the RX 460 (of which, there is a single-slot variety), and the GTX 1050 and 1050 ti, each of which is available from MSI in a dual-slot, low-profile variety.

But where is the GTX 1040, in a single-slot, passive, low-profile-ready card, 25W, capable of 4K60 desktop display and video-decoding for all major current codecs? Where is it? Why is my only video-card choice around $30 for display-only the GT710?

Edit: And if NV makes one, will it support VGA at all? There's lots of lower-end rigs out there with VGA (only) monitors, that could use an upgrade, for video codec support, to keep their PCs relevant in the "Rich Media Age" of pervasive online video. Think of all of the Core2 rigs out there, some using GMA3100/4500.

There isn't really a market for this. IGP fills the niche in current gen for sub-'1050gtx' scale graphics, and anyone who cares about graphics is going to be buying something above that level, aka a 1060 or above. Anyone who's got REALLY old hardware that can't cut the mustard is going to upgrade (because all core components will be showing their age), and anyone with recentish hardware that's just terrible likely doesn't care enough about any of this, and is just going to throw the thing away and buy a new one from the store, like they would with a phone.

The market for that '+ this connector and support for *insert standard* and improved performance in this specific niche thingie while still being weaker than our $110 model for less than the cost of a dinner out with the wife' is so small it's not even to be considered.

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
There isn't really a market for this. IGP fills the niche in current gen for sub-'1050gtx' scale graphics, and anyone who cares about graphics is going to be buying something above that level, aka a 1060 or above. Anyone who's got REALLY old hardware that can't cut the mustard is going to upgrade (because all core components will be showing their age), and anyone with recentish hardware that's just terrible likely doesn't care enough about any of this, and is just going to throw the thing away and buy a new one from the store, like they would with a phone.

The market for that '+ this connector and support for *insert standard* and improved performance in this specific niche thingie while still being weaker than our $110 model for less than the cost of a dinner out with the wife' is so small it's not even to be considered.
You are right. I myself wouldn't go any lower then a Rx 460 w/ 4GB or a 1050, and that's only for a cheap build or a older system without any power plugs for the video card.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
To answer thread title directly, yes it does, inside a intel KL CPU.

CPU + MB + possibly ram upgrade is not going to be that cheap.

I think the closest thing at the moment is the RX 460 2GB?
is that thing good for VP9 and HEVC?

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I think he is looking for an HEVC/VP9 decode capable card, the oldest thing for that is the GTX 960.
the 250 is to old at this point.

I've got a GTX 950 2G in my HTPC that does HEVC. One of the reasons I bought it. Max Resolution: 4096x2160 @24 Hz (1.4a), 3840x2160 @60 Hz (2.0). It's a full-size dual slot card though with two large fans. Unless it's under load the fans never come on. I rarely, if ever, game on the HTPC. It's purpose is to playback whatever I throw at it.
I mean, there's the RX 460 (of which, there is a single-slot variety), and the GTX 1050 and 1050 ti, each of which is available from MSI in a dual-slot, low-profile variety.

But where is the GTX 1040, in a single-slot, passive, low-profile-ready card, 25W, capable of 4K60 desktop display and video-decoding for all major current codecs? Where is it? Why is my only video-card choice around $30 for display-only the GT710?

Edit: And if NV makes one, will it support VGA at all? There's lots of lower-end rigs out there with VGA (only) monitors, that could use an upgrade, for video codec support, to keep their PCs relevant in the "Rich Media Age" of pervasive online video. Think of all of the Core2 rigs out there, some using GMA3100/4500.

I don't think that card exists. As you already mentioned, the lowest dGPU available today is the GTX 1050. AT previewed the Gigabyte GTX 1050 low profile here. It would be cool if you could just use an iGPU to do it all. I believe that modern Intel CPUs can do H265 (Haswell and newer), but it would be noisy I think.

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I am just happy the 460 and 1050 exist. It was crazy how there for a while you basically had to buy the $200-ish GTX 960 (and ONLY the 960 not a single model better) for all that support.

The GTX 950 supported HEVC and HDMI 2.0 as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As you note, and as I provided (DXVA dump for another user), Kaby Lake's iGPU does HEVC and VP9, up to 10-bit and even 4K/8K. But sadly, it still doesn't do native HDMI2.0. So either the mobo maker needs to integrate a DP1.2-to-HDMI2.0 chip, or the user needs to buy the Club3D adapter.

Reactions: poofyhairguy

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
As you note, and as I provided (DXVA dump for another user), Kaby Lake's iGPU does HEVC and VP9, up to 10-bit and even 4K/8K. But sadly, it still doesn't do native HDMI2.0. So either the mobo maker needs to integrate a DP1.2-to-HDMI2.0 chip, or the user needs to buy the Club3D adapter.

Isn't HDMI 2.0 support available on boards with the Alpine Ridge controller on them? On a quick check I found this GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5(review is on Anand if you want to double check) has HDMI 2.0 support on it.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
There isn't really a market for this. IGP fills the niche in current gen for sub-'1050gtx' scale graphics, and anyone who cares about graphics is going to be buying something above that level, aka a 1060 or above.

Yoga 7x0 series was the perfect combo. Also, surface Book had 940 GPU.
What do you mean there is no market for that?

~1000€ convertible/ultrabook "light gaming". I need something for Civ6, and just Civ6.

940MX was like, 3 times as fast as the HD620. That is a very wide range that can be filled.
Now, i can't get a convertible with a decent GPU.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yoga 7x0 series was the perfect combo. Also, surface Book had 940 GPU.
What do you mean there is no market for that?

~1000€ convertible/ultrabook "light gaming". I need something for Civ6, and just Civ6.

940MX was like, 3 times as fast as the HD620. That is a very wide range that can be filled.
Now, i can't get a convertible with a decent GPU.

Kaby Lake IGP perf isn't superb, but on less demanding titles it's quite capable. Below are many modern, demanding titles, and many of them it's hitting 30FPS average (albeit without enough information concerning resolution, settings, etc). Some (Overwatch, many more titles in the last 2-3 years) it's fluttering around 60FPS avg, if not minimum; moreso if you're running at a lower resolution (which you may be, if you're working from a tablet/ultrabook). This isn't nearly as far away as you might think from an RX460. This will improve as the iGPU tech improves, and as I'm sure anyone will agree, iGPU will become the minimum that discrete cards will have beat if there's any value proposition in them.

There's still a market for 'light gaming', it's just not in the discrete cards, because the iGPU is eating away at that.

fqnnsPMkh7RC38fpzzKVgk.png

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
There's still a market for 'light gaming', it's just not in the discrete cards, because the iGPU is eating away at that.

The Intel Sandy Bridge iGPU isn't supported in WIndows 10 and the Ivy Bridge iGPU (as found in the locked Core i5 and below) is only 6 EUs.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The Intel Sandy Bridge iGPU isn't supported in WIndows 10 and the Ivy Bridge iGPU (as found in the locked Core i5 and below) is only 6 EUs.

Huh? I was referencing the more recent offerings, such as the Kaby Lake series (or the iris pro series). Yeah, the older ones were terrible, and the newer ones are better. Future ones will be better than these, and creep closer to the low-end DGPUs. That's all I was saying.