Modem suggestion for BSNL/Airtel between the price range 2000-3500

Pradeepchinna

Jun 11, 2017
Hi all,

I am planning to replace my old modem. After some research, I finalized the below two modems.
  1. TP-LINK TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router - TP-LINK : Flipkart.com
  2. http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-DSL-2750U-Wireless-ADSL2-Router/dp/B007O7J026
After going through some of the threads, example

http://geek.digit.in/community/thre...-routers-selling-in-india.185806/#post2141867

http://geek.digit.in/community/threads/d-link-2750u-or-tp-link-td-w8968-pls-suggest-guys.186009/

I ruled out the D-Link-DSL-2750U.

Is there any other better modem for the price range 2000-3500 ? or TP-LINK TD-W8968 is the best model. Wifi Range and Speed are two important factors for me.

Thanks in advance.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've never really liked the combo router/modem devices. I much prefer separate router and separate modem, whether DSL, Fiber, or Cable.

I realize that ISPs generally prefer the AIO "Gateway" devices. It's cheaper for them to provide, and less number of piece to go wrong, should anything go wrong. It also means that if something does go wrong, you generally have to replace the whole thing.

If buying for yourself, why limit yourself to a "gateway" (AIO) device? Is there a specific reason? I can understand the financial limitations, and that mfg's may not even make standalone DSL modems anymore. (Tried to find a wired cable router lately? LOL. BEFSR time.)

Edit: Sorry, I can't make any specific DSL recommendations for you, I generally stuck to using the "Gateway" (AIO) devices that my ISPs provided, and then I used my own secondary router downstream, placing it in the DMZ of the ISP's router, which allowed UPnP and NAT functionality to work properly on my LAN for hosting incoming connections.

Pradeepchinna

Jun 11, 2017
I've never really liked the combo router/modem devices. I much prefer separate router and separate modem, whether DSL, Fiber, or Cable.

I realize that ISPs generally prefer the AIO "Gateway" devices. It's cheaper for them to provide, and less number of piece to go wrong, should anything go wrong. It also means that if something does go wrong, you generally have to replace the whole thing.

If buying for yourself, why limit yourself to a "gateway" (AIO) device? Is there a specific reason? I can understand the financial limitations, and that mfg's may not even make standalone DSL modems anymore. (Tried to find a wired cable router lately? LOL. BEFSR time.)

Edit: Sorry, I can't make any specific DSL recommendations for you, I generally stuck to using the "Gateway" (AIO) devices that my ISPs provided, and then I used my own secondary router downstream, placing it in the DMZ of the ISP's router, which allowed UPnP and NAT functionality to work properly on my LAN for hosting incoming connections.

Ok will stick with separate modem and separate router. After a bit research looks like its better not to combine both. Can you suggest me a good router under 5000 rupees. I need dual bandwidth(2.4 and 5 ghz) . With decent wifi coverage on 5 ghz and very good range in 2.4 ghz

Last edited: